cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Feedback for unpaying Buyers

Sellers should be able to leave negative feedback for Buyers who dont pay for and tie up an item for 4 days until Ebay cancels. Not fair for Sellers that these sad Buyers get zero repercussions.....cost us potential buisness and $$.

Message 1 of 38
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: Feedback for unpaying Buyers

@nanniestreasurechest wrote:

I was under the impression that if you have this setting that the buyer with these strikes couldn't purchase any of your items based on the following:  On my buyer requirements activity log it states " This list shows buyers blocked from bidding on/purchasing your item(s) based on your Buyer Requirements preferences.  Can they still purchase BIN items? 

I think so, if the item requires Immediate Payment.

The Buyer Requirements Activity Log shows users who were blocked by the requirements limits, such as too many Unpaid strikes. (It does not show blocks from users on your Blocked Buyer List.) But hitting on an Immediate Payment Required listing doesn't actually take it off the market from other buyers unless or until the user actually makes payment, so in other words, there's no need to protect that item from non-paying deadbeats. They either pay for it or it remains on sale.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 21 of 38
latest reply
37 REPLIES 37

@jeffcerreta04 wrote:

Sellers should be able to leave negative feedback for Buyers who dont pay for and tie up an item for 4 days until Ebay cancels. Not fair for Sellers that these sad Buyers get zero repercussions.....cost us potential buisness and $$.

They do get repercussions if you close out the unpaid sale after four full days have elapsed, which will enable you to use the Buyer Did Not Pay reason for cancellation. (That reason option does not appear until four full days have elapsed.) That puts an Unpaid slap on the deadbeat's account. Two or more and they can be blocked from future purchases from you and other sellers, at least for those items that do not use the Immediate Payment Required option.

You can make use of the IPR option checkbox as long as you remove the Make Offer option from your listings and go with Fixed Price only. (The option is buried near the bottom of the listing form, under the Preferences section in the Payments subgroup there.)

Note that the false Positive you left for a buyer as seen in your Feedback Left for Others is removeable if the deadbeat reports it, and can earn you a penalty. There's little point in leaving false Positives anyway as it does not automatically block the user (Unpaid slaps can block him depending on how you have set up your buyer preferences), and a seller may not see the buyer and his feedback until after the sale occurs anyway.

Message 2 of 38
latest reply

I'm not able to cancel for nonpayment because Ebay cancels it automatically and relists it. So does the deadbeat Buyer still get the bad mark?

Message 3 of 38
latest reply

@jeffcerreta04 wrote:

I'm not able to cancel for nonpayment because Ebay cancels it automatically and relists it. So does the deadbeat Buyer still get the bad mark?

Yes. 

If you haven't already, block buyers with two strikes in 12 months in your buyer requirements: https://www.ebay.com/bmgt/buyerrequirements

This only works if sellers do their job and file the unpaid cancellations - or in your case, have Ebay automatically close them out.

The blocks DO work:

https://www.ebay.com/bmgt/blockedbuyeractivities

e5d9865f80fa08ae920dcdd653ac8a00

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 4 of 38
latest reply

BE SURE to cancel and use "Buyer has not paid" as reason. If a buyer gets enough of these strikes eBay should require they only "Buy it Now" with immediate payment. NO bidding, no best offers. Early on as a buyer I was the victime of horrible vindictive negative feedback from an angry seller I left neutral feedback. Ebay did nothing. Now they do very little about irrelevant snotty feedback from buyers. Full circle. 

Message 5 of 38
latest reply

Some foolish sellers leave negative words in a positive feedback.

The deadbeat laughs.

You gave him another positive feedback which no one will ever read.

EBay does not use FB to assess member accounts.

Other sellers can't see your negative words, because over 85% use Fixed Price listings and don't meet the buyer until they purchase.

The only ones who will see your negative feedback is your future customer who sees you bad-mouthing  another buyer and back buttons out of there.

Message 6 of 38
latest reply

Sellers should be able to leave negative feedback for Buyers who don't pay for and tie up an item for 4 days until eBay cancels. Not fair for Sellers that these sad Buyers get zero repercussions....

Not necessarily.  You can report a buyer, block the buyer, and re-post the item without paying fees up-front.  Plus you only have to wait 4 days, not 6.  The complaints we read when it used to be dramatically different in the past.

Message 7 of 38
latest reply

I agree. That is the lamest feedback page. eBay is way to buyer friendly. It is ridiculous! 

I sold a lcd screen for navigation. Buyer thought the screen was the gps screen and gave me negative feedback.?.? 

Message 8 of 38
latest reply

Let's face the truth on this one here.  eBay does nothing that I have seen in my 23 years of a seller to non-paying buyers. I still see buyers that I know have had at least 3 non-paying transactions. So why doesn't eBay do anything about this issue?  Plain and simple - money. I do inform other sellers that I know when I get a deadbeat. So we do have our own ways of avoiding these people.  I also block a buyer after even one non-payment. I don't have the time for them. So as a seller, that is all we can do.  I wouldn't get too worked up over the few that are out there.  And of course, we know where they picked up this bad habit from - Amazon. Just like returns. I recently had a return from a buyer that said he had decided not to collect the item he bought and that cost me $15 in postage and insurance. And you guessed it, remorse returns get blocked immediately. I am positive that many sellers have different opinions on how to handle these issues. I choose to run my business this way. As Barney would say, "Nip it! Nip it in the bud."

Message 9 of 38
latest reply

At least some generic note should be able to be viewed in comments about the buyer not paying for the item.  At least that way it can be useful for other sellers, since ebay does not get rid of them and while if they ban a seller the site can shut them down if they open a new account, somehow ebay shrugs if buyers open up a new account, somehow ebay cannot shut them down.

Message 10 of 38
latest reply

If you know of buyers who have had at least three non-paying transactions, then either (a) those sellers did not open UPI cases or (b) they are still active with sellers who have not set their requirements correctly; i.e., setting their buyer requirements so that buyers with two UPIs in 12 months cannot buy from them.  

Message 11 of 38
latest reply

Uh, if a buyer has 2 nonpaying strikes in 12 months, sellers can set their buyer requirements so that they do not have to deal with him.  Period.  

Message 12 of 38
latest reply

a battle of neg word exchanges serves little purpose - staying professional  is the best  way - yeah  you will run into PITA buyers - that just life in the fast lane - "grin and bear it" used to be an comic  strip in the Sunday newspapers.

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/getting-paid/resolving-unpaid-items-buyers?id=4137&st=12&pos=2&que...

when  a UPI case is closed and the buyer hasn't paid  the buyer receives a strike on their account - it is hidden from the public.  If  a buyer gets too many they are  in eBay's history book. 

however  you can - set bur buyer requirement to the strictest setting by going to the your site preferences

you can also select  an Immediate payment requirement for all you listings

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/listings/creating-managing-listings/immediate-payment-works?id=415...

just a suggestion  I would  ditch your Best Offers  feature on  your listings  - I feel you are just advertising  I WILL TAKE LESS and leave money on the table - if you feel  your price is  fair - then  adopt the seller's attitude  of my price is right - just sell it thru pictures, words and top shelf  shipping . sold  face to face for over 4  decades.  When I sold something it  provided an income to support my family and send the kiddos off to college or trade school.   Occasionally  you will receive an unsolicited best offer request - generally they are legit unless  the offer is  really low.

"I have the right to remain silent but I didn't have the ability." Ron White, Fritch, Texas
"Stay away from negative people, they have a problem for every solution." A. Einstein
The Devil made me do it! - Flip Wilson
If the band can only play loud - they ain't no good - peps too J.R. Johnson
Message 13 of 38
latest reply

Feedback left does not affect your seller ratings - it is just opinions of some people - receiving a  neg is not the end of the world -  Heck never  received all 100% on my  report cards or college transcripts - but I earned my  "sheep skins" (diplomas) and received above average performance reviews during my 41+ career - yep they had "room for improvement remarks too.

"I have the right to remain silent but I didn't have the ability." Ron White, Fritch, Texas
"Stay away from negative people, they have a problem for every solution." A. Einstein
Message 14 of 38
latest reply

Did you  know if the seller closed the UP! case.  If  not it  does not go on the buyer report card.  Today it is auto done by eBay

Message 15 of 38
latest reply