cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Email from Webinterpret saying Ive been opted in. Is this real? More fun stuff.

I just woke up to 3 problems as usual. One big one is web-interpret cross border welcoming me and saying that ebay opted me in.   Im not clicking through anything and I know there were major issues in the past.   I never would opt in and have offered international shipping for 10 years.  Im at a point where I may stop all international shipping.  I had 2 - no pickups, 1 in Germany and 1 in the UK. Really Im at the point of about closing my store after almost 3 million in sales.

The last thing I want is being auto-opted into a program that is scammy. Also telling me I have to offer 30 day paid returns, which I will close my store before doing that. Ive always taken returns, Ive always shipped international but, I need to have some control over that. An overseas return is costly and buyers not wanting to pay customs is becoming common.

I want to sell to everyone, everywhere. Its in our best business interest but, when ever little thing is micromanaged poorly, we stand to lose more money and time which gives us no time to actually work on our store.

I called ebay while writing this and couldnt be told if I was opted in or not.  I was told to go to webinterpret and click a link and send a message and to report to spoof@ebay.   It seems rather antiquated that ebay couldnt tell me and that I have to write companies to see if Im opted in.  Its just one thing after another here.

Another issue some of you may be able to clarify for me.  Weve shipped everyday since the beginning.  Noone had to make us do this or threaten us with defects.  Yet of course they did. The most common feedback we get is super fast shipping or something like that.

it took us a long time to sort out usps as we had no full time carrier becasue our mail route was long and noone wanted it. For a long time, we were literally chasing carriers, running to the post office before close and always stressed out about something we already did but, to get that scan. We had 7 different carriers some weeks, all at different times. After a lot of begging, we got on a route for pickups becasue we did enough volume.  We have guy who comes everyday so it was a load off our shoulders.  Now we moved close by and the same guy comes and he's great.  The issue is now that due to our sales taking a dump, and some days we have 0-2 packages, it looks like we are losing our pickup.  USPS will not pickup on a route unless you do x amount of packages, which we no longer do and it is 100% ebays issues.  We never had blackouts and were on a constant climb until June 2018. 

Recently with the quadrupling of returns, we started charging shipping again. Things changed for the worse and free  shipping became an open invite to buy without thinking.  We have no discounts, I dont beleive anything we do can make Cassinni like us, so if we lose our carrier we will stop shipping daily. Not intentionally, as we will still do the packages but, we will not drive to the post office daily or have the stress of chasing down an unsuspecting mailman with a bunch of packages. We will have to put them out with scan sheet and cross our fingers.  We have a job box with a code and instructions on our porch. We can request pickups through the site again and add instructions but, we know how that worked out last time, which was sometimes packages wouldnt be picked up.  

This will surely tank our shipping % if a decent size load doesnt get picked up and I cant bare to call ebay everyday like the old days.  What will this do to our account ? We dont care about badges, weve been here long enough to have repeat customers and weve seen this terror ship coming at us for years so made lots of money and diversified, assuming that we wouldnt be selling here some day.  Of course I dont want to see the work weve put in to the store go away but sunk cost fallacy be damned.

So many unintended consequences have made doing business here harder.  We have almost always been 100% feedback sellers, we had all the discounts and shipped 6 days a week. 45k a month was average. Almost 3 million in sales.  Right now if 1 of of every item in our store sold, the value of current prices is 500k. much of that stuff we have in large quantities not listed on ebay. We also have enough inventory to quadruple the size of our store but, severely diminished returns if we go at it like we used to for much less. Many millions in inventory.

Weve done every edit and change over the years, weve tried free returns, done free shipping for years and now find ourselves selling much less but constant issues. The customer has almost become a unintended adversary. We block at the slightest hint of issue and look at feedback left by buyers when they ask questions.  This is the only protection we have when ebay stopped protecting us.  We have always been top sellers , never losing discounts and being crazy to get our scans and packages out as intended. Ebay has constantly made this harder to achieve through the one size fits all, treating us all like were crooks and not doing something right.  We used to rewards, now we get threats constantly. Psychologically, its pretty messed up. It doesnt matter if its un-intended, thats what it is. Constant problems, different solutions from different people and usually several cs calls or emails to get a halfway decent solution. 

This is different than what has ever happened here.  I would bet that some of us sellers were ebays best buyers as well. Now we see no reason to invest more and more time and money as the present and end looks bleak. I'll beleive seller protections when I see them. 

Started the day out with manufactured problems is becoming more the norm and it doesnt get ant easier, it just builds up until we are about to pop.

Message 1 of 179
latest reply
178 REPLIES 178

Re: Email from Webinterpret saying Ive been opted in. Is this real? More fun stuff.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@zamo-zuan wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Honestly, I am a confused to see the level of negative reaction that I've seen here for a free service that only serves to increase visibility for those sellers who are already shipping internationally. It is simply a translation service and though I commend those who wish to educate themselves further, I want to encourage everyone to take a moment to review the information I've already shared to reassure themselves of what this program is and is not.

In another post on here regarding webinterpret recently, you mentioned fees could be charged after the promotional period ends. That is one reason.

The second is, as you can see, we didn't even know we were signed up. It feels like a betrayal of trust to see we were automatically enrolled in a program, especially one that has regularly been discussed on the forums here by sellers who had issues with it.

You have also mentioned in the other post that it will count towards seller limits, when these days we are carrying one new brand so far, and have a couple new brands incoming. This will limit our listing ability as we grow.

If I did not find this post, I would have never seen the email stating that we were signed up. Which would put us under threat of increased fees after promotional period, as well as we would never know why our listing limits were being filled up.

Finally, as you said, this not should be applying to sellers who ship internationally with Global Shipping. This is 100% confirmation that it IS applying to sellers who ship with Global Shipping (as that is our international method). 

It's hard to have comfort in something that we were signed up for without our knowledge, especially when the stated policies about who gets signed up are not even being followed correctly.

One more thing I just noticed, in another post on here from just 4 days ago, you mentioned you do not opt anyone in without authorization, and that some sellers were notified a month ago. This does not seem to be the truth, as we were signed up 9 days ago without authorization. 

All these combine to a severe breach of trust

After the issues we've had over the last year and a half, combined with this, how are we expected to even trust this "opt out" button without knowing exactly what signing us up did to our account, and what opting out does...?

(Edit: https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/Why-the-negativity-about-Webinterpret/m-p/30033371/highlight/true#M1453317 - that post sums up the reason for distrust very well.)

Hi @zamo-zuan, I've included responses to your concerns below: 

In another post on here regarding webinterpret recently, you mentioned fees could be charged after the promotional period ends. That is one reason.

I believe in another post I stated that if a fee was assessed, we would be happy to credit it. No fees should be assessed, and I only mention our ability to offer a credit as a pre-emptive measure of reassurance. This service is free, will not list above the free insertion fee credits for the related markets, and all listings will be removed after the promotional period, free of charge.

The second is, as you can see, we didn't even know we were signed up. It feels like a betrayal of trust to see we were automatically enrolled in a program, especially one that has regularly been discussed on the forums here by sellers who had issues with it.

The email you received is the notification. I may be misunderstanding, but if a seller is concerned that they were not notified, but they received an email about this program with full details in advance, I'm not certain why there is a feeling of lost trust. The program begins in September for those receiving notices now.

You have also mentioned in the other post that it will count towards seller limits, when these days we are carrying one new brand so far, and have a couple new brands incoming. This will limit our listing ability as we grow.

As I also mentioned in my other post, we will be increasing sellers limits as needed to ensure that a seller is covered. If you are not hitting your limits even with this promotion, and have no business reason for higher limits, we may elect to not increase your current limits. If you are hitting your limits, may hit your limits with normal listing, or have a business reason for increased limits (such as the brands you are bringing in your example) you can request a limit increase.

If I did not find this post, I would have never seen the email stating that we were signed up. Which would put us under threat of increased fees after promotional period, as well as we would never know why our listing limits were being filled up.

I strongly encourage sellers to keep an eye on communications from eBay, as these are often times contain very important updates. Though I understand that in this day and age we all receive a large number of electronic communications, it is a seller's responsibility to monitor messages from eBay to maintain a successful business on our platform.

Finally, as you said, this not should be applying to sellers who ship internationally with Global Shipping. This is 100% confirmation that it IS applying to sellers who ship with Global Shipping (as that is our international method). 

While you are opted into the Global Shipping Program, you also ship directly - you do not have your account set up to block any international countries. Sellers who only ship via the Global Shipping Program would not be eligible for this promotion. If you want to only ship through the Global Shipping Program, you would need to change your shipping preferences to 1) exclude all international locations 2) override your shipping exclusions for Global Shipping Program eligible items and 3) apply these changes to all your current listings. This can be done by visiting https://www.ebay.com/ship/prf/excludeRegions 

One more thing I just noticed, in another post on here from just 4 days ago, you mentioned you do not opt anyone in without authorization, and that some sellers were notified a month ago. This does not seem to be the truth, as we were signed up 9 days ago without authorization. 

As I mentioned in my previous response, you should check the start date of your promotion. Some sellers were notified last month, and may already be experiencing the benefits of this promotion. If you were notified nine days ago, and the promotional period starts in September, then you have received more than a month's notice.

Message 46 of 179
latest reply

Re: Email from Webinterpret saying Ive been opted in. Is this real? More fun stuff.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@soccerteeth wrote:

Trinton,

There was a message in my ebay mesages May 22.  Mine is different than Zamo.Zuan and says once you click your listings go live and had no opt out. attached. The thing is I never opened it so I never clicked it and ebay reps cannot see that I am in.   This just shows the same devious tactics webinterpret used last time as most people click on a message to open anyway. Placement of that is even psychologically devious. 

This does not allay my fears. This terrifies me as this is already not a good relationship.

Holy cow looking through my messages in ebay mesasges is a like car crash of issues. return, case, case, case, return. 

I dont want to be opted into anything . This company gives me constant anxiety.

I was running my business and growing and had happy repeat customers. Ebay is actually making less money on us and spending more in cs to try and resolve manufactured problems.  How is that a win?

I'll email you Trinton and you can look at our account. Look at our sales for the last few years, look at our returns.  I know youre just doing your job but my personal experience is the marketplace is killing our sales, making what do sell terrifying, and making us spend all the time we used to selling, into solving manufactured problems.  I never hung out on this forum until last year and even then, i just kept editing and triage.  I wont be renewing my store subscription at this rate.  I like what I do and i have tons of inventory that noone else has but its been turned into something terrible. Of course that is moot if you cant actually do anything.

I really hope its time that someone stands up there and acknowledges the problems and those that are inevitably in the pipeline so someone can stop this madness but, I would guess by the looks of it some are doubling down and watching buyers and sellers leave. 

Go back to rewarding good behavior instead of lipservice about making it easier on us and setting up punishment parameters to make it easier on us to do more business.  It hasnt worked once.

Hi @soccerteeth, I encourage you to read the screenshot you provided, as the promotion you received states that you must sign up to benefit from this promotion. This is outlined towards the bottom of the photo you have shared. If you did not sign up, you are not enrolled, and thus will not benefit from this promotion. While you have not confirmed the account you are discussing and I cannot look into this further for you, it does appear that the information you are looking for is available to you. Again, it is very difficult for me to speak to the specific promotion you received without having your account information, so I am only able to discuss this matter based on the details you have provided. I wanted to make this clear, as it is not only possible that others in this thread have received a different promotion, but incredibly likely.

Message 47 of 179
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@ittybitnot wrote:

Honestly, I am a confused to see the level of negative reaction that I've seen here for a free service that only serves to increase visibility for those sellers who are already shipping internationally.

Does ebay plan to fund the seller's costs for unfavorable currency conversion rates and associated added fees since they will be required to accept other than USD$?  

Hi @ittybitnot, this is a great question that is addressed in the FAQ I have provided slight_smile

Message 48 of 179
latest reply

@Anonymous 

But the OP received an email which she posted on the first page of this thread that she was "live" yet she had not opted in to anything? Unless I am reading your last response to the OP incorrectly. Or ebay opted her in to be "live" then she received a "promotion" on top of that? I guess I am really confused now. 

I ain't got the brains to make this up (Fantastic Beasts)
Message 49 of 179
latest reply

Yes here are emails 1 and 3.

2nd email was already posted and it wsa from ebay email address already posted . 

I did not sign up or click on the link.

Message 50 of 179
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@gracieallen01 wrote:

Hello Trinton,

It appears that you (ebay) uses 'opt in' to mean enroll in, without a necessarily active or voluntary action.  

However, 'opt out' is a decisive voluntary, and seller decided, action to exit a program. 

How can that be?  Just which is the correct usage of the word 'opt'?

Hi @gracieallen01, since words can mean more than one thing, I would counter that there is no correct or incorrect usage for the terminology we are discussing. That being said, while language is a personal passion of mine, I won't be able to debate this point further - we will simply have to agree to disagree on this matter. If you encounter a similar discussion in the future where eBay is stating they are opting a group in to something, understand that we are enrolling them.

Also, to clarify, it does not seem like any of the other sellers in this discussion have been opted in - it looks like the promotions clearly state that the seller must sign up to participate. Initially the OP stated they were opted in, so I discussed how some sellers have been opted in. Now that they have shared a screenshot of their promotion, the Terms & Conditions show that they have not been opted in but instead have the option to do so through the promotional offer. Without being able to access their account I cannot say with 100% certainty, but the photo shred here does seem to indicate this is the case.

Message 51 of 179
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@abfabvintage wrote:

@Anonymous 

But the OP received an email which she posted on the first page of this thread that she was "live" yet she had not opted in to anything? Unless I am reading your last response to the OP incorrectly. Or ebay opted her in to be "live" then she received a "promotion" on top of that? I guess I am really confused now. 

Hi @abfabvintage, I cannot find a post from the OP where they were told their listings were "live", only that once they clicked they would be "live". Since they did not click, it would stand to reason that their listings are not live. This is further confirmed by the fact that none of the Customer Service agents they have spoken to have been able to see any enrollment in this promotion. 

Message 52 of 179
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@soccerteeth wrote:

Yes here are emails 1 and 3.

2nd email was already posted and it wsa from ebay email address already posted . 

I did not sign up or click on the link.

Thank you so much for sharing some additional information, @soccerteeth - I would still need the name of the account you are referencing to be able to look into this further. Additional screenshots may be helpful, but they may also add to the confusion that has arisen in this discussion since I am only able to see parts of the puzzle, so to speak. If you would like to discuss this further, please provide the username of the account you are referring to.

Message 53 of 179
latest reply

Trintin,

According to these 2 other screenshots, I have been opted in or webinterpret is trying to trick me into clicking. This is the first says they are thrilled that I have been opted in.

The first screenshot I shared was from an ebay cs.

Message 54 of 179
latest reply

When I tried to send you a private message. here is what I got. Tried repeatedly and you were the only person in the send list.

•  One or more of these members do not have private messages enabled. Their names have been removed from the Send to list.

Message 55 of 179
latest reply

Yes, we shall have to agree to disagree.

Perhaps, then, California AB-1790,  1) Are drafted in plain and intelligible language - regarding terms between marketplace and seller, has some merit and a redeeming feature, after all.

Not saying 'NO' doesn't mean 'YES'.

The foolishness of one's actions or words is determined by the number of witnesses.

Perhaps if Brains were described as an APP, many people would use them more often.

Respect, like money, is only of 'worth' when it is earned - with all due respect, it can not be ordained, legislated or coerced. Anonymous
Message 56 of 179
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@soccerteeth wrote:

When I tried to send you a private message. here is what I got. Tried repeatedly and you were the only person in the send list.

•  One or more of these members do not have private messages enabled. Their names have been removed from the Send to list.

Hi @soccerteeth, if you aren't comfortable with posting your username here, I can send an email to you for you to respond. Be sure to reply from the registered email on file so I can verify your account and take a look at this for you.

Message 57 of 179
latest reply

@Anonymous 

Hey...see the OPs post #2.

I ain't got the brains to make this up (Fantastic Beasts)
Message 58 of 179
latest reply

Not comfortable at all putting my username on here as we have enough issues.  Its ashame that we dont feel safe.

Sent you a message, dont dox we.

Message 60 of 179
latest reply