cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

**IMPORTANT** Be Aware of Webinterpret Promo via eBay Message - September 2018 **IMPORTANT**

Thanks to 2 threads started early May, 2018 regarding this 3rd Party App:  

1) https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/Beware-of-Webinterpret-s-scam-that-ebay-is-allowing/m-p/284516...

by bigdeals.etc may 4th, 2018

2) https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/Webinterpret-almost-Scam/m-p/28934269#M1280566

by studiorginal on May 6, 2018

Many of us were able to have a headsup on the ?workings? of this application. 

I thought with the 2 threads + the amount of discussions, including the fact the Blues were called to weigh in on this 3rd party application - that the 'fiasco' would be over. 

However, much to my surprise - the following "Promo" was found in our eBay inbox. (Photos attached for reference).

I quickly went to the Site Preference and true enough: Under Third Party Authorizations:

the Webinterprets tokens were there.  I've since REVOKED those tokens.

This morning, I've rechecked the site preference - No Webinterprets tokens were found. 

To those who have yet to encounter this Webinterpret - Please catch up on those 2 threads to self-educate

yourself about this 3rd party app.

-

Lucas

*still rollin' with the punches*

Webinterpret Promo via eBay MessageWebinterpret Promo via eBay MessageWebinterpret Promo via eBay messageWebinterpret Promo via eBay message

Message 1 of 71
latest reply
70 REPLIES 70

**IMPORTANT** Be Aware of Webinterpret Promo via eBay Message - September 2018 **IMPORTANT**

Hi, Lucas!

Just some links:

I see you have this one listed.

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/Webinterpret-almost-Scam/m-p/28934529#M1280620

This one is on the My Account Board.  This seller's issues go back to June with Webinterpret:

https://community.ebay.com/t5/My-Account/Ebay-and-our-battle-to-get-them-to-not-completely-destroy-o...

Message 2 of 71
latest reply

Much appreciate for the other link. Will catch up on that particular thread.

I consider this is one of the many critical sore topics currently running on this platform.

For those in the know - they'll not fall for the 'click-on' bait, however, am sure many who've not

heard of this 3rd party app will be none the wiser. 

When threads started in May and June - some have seen the Promo on Seller Hub or email via eBay messages -

I did not have any link on the Promo either on SH or via eBay messaging.  

This is the 1st time, I've recieved the Promo within eBay message, after Labor Day - Sept 4th, 2018.  Looks like, another wave of Promos to other merchants on this platform.

-

Lucas

Message 3 of 71
latest reply

And ... I've changed all passwords to accounts on this platform.

-

Lucas

Message 4 of 71
latest reply

Insane this is happening again.  I posted this to help on the other thread to help one of the victims in another thread today. This is what I did: 

Make sure you go into the third party authorizations in your Ebay settings remove the authorization called a token. After that check your setting's daily as I had the authorization come back after I got rid of it. Email this sham of a company webinterpert tell them you did not give permission to join and remove you from the database immediately it may take several emails. Do not fall for they need you to authorize with a token again to remove you and do not click on any of their links. Repeat yourself firmly. Check your listings for duplicates end them ASAP. Report this to CS again, try to get routed to the US, bring up the month of May of it impacting a lot of sellers, they are aware of this. If you search for the old thread from May in the Seller forum you will see what I and others posted. There has never been any further information than when the thread ended. I can not believe this is happening again. Ebay announced very little on this, however they did state there was not supposed to be an auto opt in and sent out apology emails with very little help. 

I would call attention to the Blues on this. As Ebay clearly stated when this happened to us in May there was not supposed to be any type of auto opt in, that it was a technical error. For the auto opt in to be occurring again....   My advice to all stay away from this Third Party I had a migraine the whole month of May...

Message 5 of 71
latest reply

@castlemagicmemories wrote:

Hi, Lucas!

Just some links:

I see you have this one listed.

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/Webinterpret-almost-Scam/m-p/28934529#M1280620

This one is on the My Account Board.  This seller's issues go back to June with Webinterpret:

https://community.ebay.com/t5/My-Account/Ebay-and-our-battle-to-get-them-to-not-completely-destroy-o...

Just want to add that as of this date, to the best of my knowledge, that seller's issues have not yet been resolved.  I feel for that seller~a very stressful situation, to be sure.

Message 6 of 71
latest reply

The issues really were not dealt with well for any of us to the best of my knowledge. It was just a general apology email with not much help. Some like myself were luckier than others and caught it early before to much damage was done to the account and billing. I made sure before the month was out it was gone and I was not going to billed for it. I was on top of my account and listings. It was still a big headache dealing with it. Plus personal data was leaked. My email ended up on the dark web during the same time, coincidence I think not. But those who did not catch early I really feel for. For it to be happening again there is no excuses.
Message 7 of 71
latest reply

No offense, just curious.  How did you know that your email was on the Dark Web?

I felt for every seller so affected.  Some had more issues than others.

Message 8 of 71
latest reply

None taken. I have it with my credit protection from experian. It includes information leaked on the dark web. I guess they have software that searches the dark web etc. I get alerts from them and I got one during the same time as this. This company is very shady.
Message 9 of 71
latest reply

@deja8318 wrote:
None taken. I have it with my credit protection from experian. It includes information leaked on the dark web. I guess they have software that searches the dark web etc. I get alerts from them and I got one during the same time as this. This company is very shady.

I wondered if that was how you knew as I have seen those commercials.  Do they do anything to remove it for you?  Or advise you what to do to handle it?

Message 10 of 71
latest reply

Nope not that I am aware of. I get for free thru one of my CC's. They may if there is a paid version I never researched it in depth. I just get the alerts and it gives you the date when it was leaked and where it was found. But no other information comes with the free version.
Message 11 of 71
latest reply

This is a great post, and thanks for the excellent tips. I wish I read these community boards before I got unwillingly opted in yesterday (9/7/2018) without permission by Webinterpret. Just like many others, all I did was click on the ebay Seller's Hub link that said "learn more" about getting more international exposure for my ebay listings. I did email Webinterpret to ask them to cancel my nonconsentual account and cancel their access to my ebay listings, but I hope my revoking their access to my ebay listings (through my ebay seller account "permissions" preferences) won't prevent Webinterpret from canceling my unrequested account with them.

Message 12 of 71
latest reply

Dear eBay seller community,

We appreciate your feedback regarding our Active Listing Promotion with Webinterpret. The goal of this promotion is to help sellers further grow their international sales by offering free services to translate and list a pre-determined amount of  your items across our international sites.

All marketing communication for this promotion leads to an educational landing page that provides details, terms and information on what to expect.  On this page, qualified customers can sign up for the promotion by clicking on the “Sign up” button. We encourage all sellers that qualify for the promotion to go through this page before signing up to understand the details and benefits of the promotion.

Here is the link to the landing page: eBay International Promotion September 2018

Message 13 of 71
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@bassileid5, it appears you have not read the reports on webinterpret from the last few days. One poster even reported that their account has been suspended because webinterpret listings were flagged as duplicates. This is a real problem and your response does not address any of it.

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/Beware-of-Webinterpret-s-scam-that-ebay-is-allowing/m-p/289459...

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/DO-NOT-click-on-Webinterpret-banner-from-Ebay/m-p/28951165#M12...

Message 14 of 71
latest reply

customers can sign up for the promotion by clicking on the “Sign up” button.

The "customers" don't need to find or click on the Sign up button..  By clicking on "learn more" they get signed up automatically whether they want it or not.   Did you not get the memo last time this nonsense was rolled out?  

Message 15 of 71
latest reply