cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer makes offer but doesn't pay

I had a buyer make an offer that I accepted.  The offer included shipping and it was clearly marked that way.  After a day and a half the buyer responds to my request for payment asking if there are shipping fees.  I replied and told him yes, the fees are based on his location and the shipping service.  The buyer has now pretty much ghosted me. No replies or any other communication from him.  I've opened an unpaid item claim with ebay, but I really need to sell this item.  Is this item in limbo until I can close the claim? I believe I can close the claim tomorrow evening but I know I could have sold it by then.  Also will ebay do anything to the buyer or for me since I've been inconvenienced by this person?  I see that they will credit me the Final Valuation fee but doesn't that just end up going back to ebay when they charge me 9 or 10 percent for listing the item on ebay?

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

The case will close in 4 days. Buyer will receive a unpaid strike on their account. You will receive the final value fees back from eBay in the form of a credit, which can be used to list items.

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

You need to wait until you close the case before you relist the item
If you relist & it sells and the non paying buyer pays at the last minute then you have 2 buyers & 1 item so you will end up with an out of stock defect
If on day 4 they don't pay close the case get back your final value fee and then relist.
He / She gets an unpaid item strike on their account is what happens to the buyer.

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

Accepting offers on something that you "need to sell" creates a huge disadvantage and has the potential to cause a bunch of problems and related stress.  I would avoid it in the future whenever possible.

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

".. I see that they will credit me the Final Valuation fee but doesn't that just end up going back to ebay when they charge me 9 or 10 percent for listing the item on ebay?"

Just to clarify, the 10% is paid when the item sells and not when it is listed. There may be insertion fees depending on how you list something and whether or not you are using your free listings. 

"..Is this item in limbo until I can close the claim?.."  

The buyer may very well still pay for the item. And yes, it is in limbo so to speak. You cannot relist until this claim is closed.

".. Also will ebay do anything to the buyer or for me since I've been inconvenienced by this person?" 

The buyer receives a strike if they do not pay. Savvy sellers have their Buyer Requirements set to block those who have 2 or more unpaid item strikes in a year, so it is punitive. There is no compensation for a seller's losses or inconvenience stemming from an UID. Such losses are considered the cost of doing business and worked into one's business plan. But you did the right thing by opening the dispute. It helps all sellers. Below is a link to the policy covering this activity.

https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/payment-policies/unpaid-item-policy?id=4271

Message 5 of 5
latest reply