cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Beware of Webinterpret’s scam that ebay is allowing

A couple of days ago a banner within my Seller Hub advertised reaching buyers in ebay international sites (shown in screenshot). I clicked it to learn what it was about. It pushed me to a 3rd party page (Webinterpret) explaining what it was and allowed me to register/sign up for their service. I didn’t sign up and just closed the page.

The next day, Webinterpret hacked into my ebay account. They duplicated all of my listings 4-6 times each listing. My usual 200 live listings became over 1200 listings. Each listing was specific to an ebay international website (au, uk, ca, de, etc.). They basically duplicated my inventory quantity as well… obviously I don’t have that much inventory to cover it. Beware, this is on ebay’s Main Seller Hub page that ebay is advertising.

Read further if you want to know ebay’s response to this:

I called my ebay concierge and after a few hours of asking around and researching, he called me back and said the company has been with ebay since 2011, they shouldn’t have access to your account without your signing up, authorizing, generating a token, etc. I told him I did none of that and the agent was confused on how the company was able to hack into my account like that. The agent helped me remove the duplicate listings manually (took awhile) and revoked any access from that company to my account. I checked and it appears many ebay members (dated as far back as 4 years) had the exact same thing happen to them and did the revoking, only to find months later the company hacks back into their accounts doing the same thing… sometimes even billing them. Ebay says they will check on it, but then again… this problem has been around for at least 4 years now and ebay hasn’t done anything about it.

I’m just warning others to NOT click on that banner.

Screenshot 2018-05-04 15.20.24.jpg

Message 1 of 365
latest reply
364 REPLIES 364

That is alarming and disturbing. Thanks for the heads up!

Message 2 of 365
latest reply

Well ... just added webinterpret.com to my Windows host file .

Thank for the heads-up ... not interested in their "services". Ever.

I'm ̶p̶r̶e̶t̶t̶y̶ ̶s̶u̶r̶e̶ certain the lunatics have taken over the asylum.
Message 3 of 365
latest reply

I did the same thing. just clicked on the banner to learn what it was about and bam1 it said thanks for joining.  My 3000 listijngs turned into 12000 listing over night. It is a nightmare. 

Message 4 of 365
latest reply

They probably get away with it because the blue link says "sign up" not "learn more"

Crusader Cat is watching

Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself. - L Tolstoy

"You are entitled to your own opinion, you are not however, entitled to your own facts."

Message 5 of 365
latest reply

Happened to me also.. Click on the banner for more info.. i never signed up or authorized anything.. The next day i had an additional 5,000 listings and growing.. I called Ebay and they said my account would be fixed in 24-48 hours. I also then manually deleted all 5,000 listings and revoked webinterprets token. Why would anyone want to duplicate each listing 6 times so that after the free trial period you have to pay 6 insertion fees across 6 Ebay world platforms?
Message 6 of 365
latest reply

Where do you see if your listings have been duplicated or if they are available on a international site? I clicked on the banner but saw a thread on the PS forum that it was creating tokens so I canceled the token. This was the other day.  But then today I received this email see below which has me nervous of getting charged fees or having these listings on the international sites. I want no parts of this. 

We see that you’ve revoked the token for eBay’s Free International Listing promotion, with zero insertion fees and zero final value fees. This action has broken the connection between your eBay account and the Webinterpret platform.

If you wish to no longer participate in this eBay promotion, you will need to re-establish this connection in order for us to end these international listings and fully exit you from the program.

Otherwise, you will need to end these listings yourself to avoid possible eBay fees once this promotion is over.

In order to renew the connection to your eBay account, please register once again on the eBay promo page:

https://pages.ebay.com/promo/2018/0501/CBT-WI.html

We will then end your listings and fully exit you from the promo.

If you’d prefer assistance or have any questions, please reply with your phone number and the best time to contact you, and we’ll give you a call at your earliest convenience.

Message 7 of 365
latest reply

@ymeagainlord wrote:
They probably get away with it because the blue link says "sign up" not "learn more"

Yea I noticed that but I thought to myself: I just won't fill out any info and close the page if they are prompting me to sign up. But no, once you click they automatically get all your info from ebay... ebay willingly gives them the access. But Webinterpret didn't tell me that... no "thanks for signing up" or "you've been registered." They just took me to a page that explains what they do and has a separate "sign up" page of their own. Why even have a a separate sign up page when you already "hacked" all of my info from ebay? I've never heard of any legit company do this form of "signing up".

Ebay agent says they shouldn't be doing this... but I replied "That may be true... but it was also true 4 years ago when I saw a few complaints about this already within this forum. Nothing has changed since then."

Message 8 of 365
latest reply

I got this "offer" in an eBay message on my (only) ID which sells other than USA, and when I read the TAC it appears the promo wasn't available for listings on the Canada site (which is where that ID lists), so I ignored it and didn't accept the offer.

I don't use the Hub, but it seems strange the promo offer on the Hub appears to be dependent upon using this service?

@Anonymous brian@ebay Anyone care to comment?

Crusader Cat is watching

Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself. - L Tolstoy

"You are entitled to your own opinion, you are not however, entitled to your own facts."

Message 9 of 365
latest reply

Please do not click on the link from the email in my post I can not edit it out. It may take you right back to this auto sign up. I did not click on it to check but just to be on the safe side.
Message 10 of 365
latest reply

Interestingly enough, the promo message I got says ZERO about Web Interpret but what's odd is no "get Offer" or "Activate" button shows up on my promo tally section.

Crusader Cat is watching

Message 11 of 365
latest reply

You can't click on a link in a screenshot = )

Crusader Cat is watching

Message 12 of 365
latest reply

LOL thanks I see it on my end as a link! Glad only I see it.
Message 13 of 365
latest reply

Oops, you mean the one from the email. Yeah that's clickable.

Crusader Cat is watching

Message 14 of 365
latest reply

@deja8318 wrote:
LOL thanks I see it on my end as a link! Glad only I see it.

@ymeagainlordI think you guys are talking about two different things. ymeagainlord is referring to the link in my screenshot, while deja8318 is referring to their link in their previous post. Btw, deja, your link is in fact clickable.

Message 15 of 365
latest reply