cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does anyone sell anything on eBay anymore?

I have $32,000 in merchandise listed on eBay and had one $9 sale in the entire month of June. On the other hand, when I search for interesting things to buy on eBay -- used and/or vintage -- I find very little.

This is my 19th year as an eBay seller/buyer; and to think there was once a time when I spent $5,000 a month on the site.

Something must be driving the stock price, other than display ads and corporate lies?

Message 1 of 105
latest reply
104 REPLIES 104

Re: Does anyone sell anything on eBay anymore?

I usually have 150 items listed

I sell on average 90 of those items a month

60% sell thru

Is that considered good?

Message 91 of 105
latest reply

"I can see you don't know how Amazon works an why Bezos named his business Amazon. Amazon doesn't need to turn a profit per se, and I don't really want to conflate the two, but here goes. Amazon generates a huge amount of revenue.

Lets take 2014 for example eBay produced 17.9 bil to Amazon's 89 bil., however, Amazon doesn't turn it over as profit. Instead Amazon spends most of the profits from revenue to keep growing bigger and bigger, while making sure that the added growth, keeps generating more revenue, so that the company keeps getting bigger."

That is what is referred to as a PYRAMID SCHEME!

Message 92 of 105
latest reply

"if eBay wants to survive "

ROTFLMAO

I've been hearing this for 15 years!

eBay's still rocking the internet with sales. . .

Message 93 of 105
latest reply

last paragraph is great. why cant ebay just return to what made them good. i want simple. 

Message 94 of 105
latest reply

@emerald40 wrote:

I agree Z.

If the item exists, it will eventually show up on ebay, if it is not there already,

The problem is, it most likely is here already, but ebay is not allowing it to be seen.  

From the ebay user agreement:

• We strive to create a marketplace where buyers find what they are looking for. Therefore, the appearance or placement of listings in search and browse results will depend on a variety of factors, including, but not limited to:

• buyer's location, search query, browsing site, and history;

• item's location, listing format, price and shipping cost, terms of service, end time, history, and relevance to the user query;

• seller's history, including listing practices, Detailed Seller Ratings, eBay policy compliance, Feedback, and defect rate; and

• number of listings matching the buyer's query.  

• To drive a positive user experience, a listing may not appear in some search and browse results regardless of the sort order chosen by the buyer.

• Some advanced listing upgrades will only be visible on certain Services.

• eBay's Duplicate Listing Policy may also affect whether your listing appears in search results.

• Metatags and URL links that are included in a listing may be removed or altered so as to not affect third-party search engine results.

• We may provide you with optional recommendations to consider when creating your listings. Such recommendations may be based on the aggregated sales and performance history of similar sold and current listings; results will vary for individual listings. To drive the recommendations experience, you agree that we may display the sales and performance history of your individual listings to other sellers.

Basically, they show what they want when they want...and you have agreed to the mystery of it all just by signing on to "sell" here. No guarantee that anything you list across the entire platform will actually be shown to potential buyers.

Message 95 of 105
latest reply

you agree that we may display the sales and performance history of your individual listings to other sellers.

No we don't, Meg, Donahoe and Devin do........

Message 96 of 105
latest reply

Right, eBay wants that volume but the only way they will get it is with sellers losing money while they take 10% plus store fees.......

Amazon and Walmart... and some of the big specialty retailers (sporting goods, Home Depot, consumer electronics)... are locked in a death battle for marketshare in the mass-market fixed price consumer retail goods sphere.   Unless we want to go back to invoking Nordstroms around here...

SAM_00700001(1)0001.jpg

...that's pretty much a discount retailer proposition.  Lacking buying power in both merchandise and shipping vendors, plus the fees, I don't see how even the biggest eBay sellers are going to survive and gain that marketshare for eBay.   Those are heavily-fished waters, eBay can't chase the top dogs in the fleet from this boat. 

The Floggings Will Continue Until Morale Improves.
Message 97 of 105
latest reply

eBay is wasting time once again because the only sellers that will be in their deals program are sellers looking to dump closeout, refurbished, prior returned items, and other distressed merchandise that got pulled off the shelves of major retailers because it never sold in the first place.

As long as eBay gets their 10% they could not care less if the sellers are taking a hit.

Message 98 of 105
latest reply

@yuzuha wrote:

Does anyone sell anything on eBay anymore?  Absolutely.  I follow a bunch of sellers who sell things like anime/video game/general fandom collectibles, video games, merchandise from TV shows/movies, etc., and they all sell 100+ items a month.  I just looked at one of them-- they currently have 1,168 items listed and they've made 142 sales this month alone.  That's not bad for someone who sells exclusively in one niche.

And there are 2 to 3 in the fine jewelry diamond / gemstone categories who sell high quality and list at .99 auctions.  And the buyers fall over each other trying to win them.  They are still getting the old fashioned bidding wars.

But these are long time very established sellers with a large following.  They begin and end their auctions the same day and times like clockwork.

I wonder if newbies selling the same would get the same results.

Message 99 of 105
latest reply

@liq1000 wrote:

Terrible, not many will be able to maintain that, eBay should close down their store program and offer unlimited free listings to all sellers in good standing, in the end they are going to have to do that because so many sellers are closing their stores due to slow sales.

Yes, free unlimited listing.  You think search is a mess now.  And today's buyer is not going to spend time trying to wade through the muck to find what they want.

Freebies should be limited to new listing as it was first intended until sellers found work arounds.  They should not be used for the same unsellable things that no one wanted last month or the year before.

If you list it, it will sell no longer works today.  Someone else's trash is still trash and the last thing this site needs is more of it.

Message 100 of 105
latest reply

Sorry, your argument has no logic, you can't sell trash with a minimum postage fee of $2.61, so your theory goes out the window.

The other false logic you are promoting is that the number of items corrupts the search, it does not stop Google from presenting search results, eBay's search technology needs to be scraped, they would not get a dime for it if it was on the open market.

Message 101 of 105
latest reply

@allisonscollectibles wrote:

I hera there arte sites  with really low listing and final fees  anyone know any   like Bonanza 

I have a booth over there but quite honestly there is very little traffic. It's much smaller and has that "family feel" that eBay once had. But don't plan on making any money. If you read the blogs, seller suggestions and tips, they'll tell you to promote your booth on social media, place ads here and there, tweet, pin, poke, blab, etc. Basically become like an Amway distributor.  Good luck.

Message 102 of 105
latest reply

LOL! I agree it's annoying. Yesterday, I had to laugh when I received an eBay email telling me they wanted to help me "get what I wanted," directing me to comparable active listings for an item I'd viewed that had sold. The item in question? My own sold listing which ended the previous evening
Belle
Message 103 of 105
latest reply

Yes. It is sad. I too have had little sales. However, I had two scammers this week. Someone always wants my vintage never used leather goods, rare these days. And these “ buyers” ( in quotes because these are no buyers but scammers wanting something for nothing) are all over eBay for the holidays.

Message 104 of 105
latest reply

brian@ebay
eBay Staff (Alumni)

Hi everyone! This thread has been locked because of it's age. Please start a new thread if you would like to discuss this topic. 

Brian,
Community Team
Message 105 of 105
latest reply