cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does anyone sell anything on eBay anymore?

I have $32,000 in merchandise listed on eBay and had one $9 sale in the entire month of June. On the other hand, when I search for interesting things to buy on eBay -- used and/or vintage -- I find very little.

This is my 19th year as an eBay seller/buyer; and to think there was once a time when I spent $5,000 a month on the site.

Something must be driving the stock price, other than display ads and corporate lies?

Message 1 of 105
latest reply
104 REPLIES 104

Re: Does anyone sell anything on eBay anymore?

Just a general reply...I still buy here, vintage, ACEO's, etc...because it's the place I know, and also even tho it's a pain in the patoot sometimes, there are lots of wonderful things to be found here. I have the patience, and I have learned how to get around can'tseeme. I do try out other places, particulary the other E...just as hard to get around it seems.

I guess I will still be here (not selling, gave that up) till the wheels fall off.
Message 61 of 105
latest reply

auctionpet
Guide
It's not the sum total of merchandise that would reflect poor sales, it's the volume of listings. For all we know you listed a car or several high ticket items. If you were to say you had 5000 listings and sold one item in June that would be different. It would also mean you need to re-evaluate your inventory or your prices.
Message 62 of 105
latest reply

Yep.  I am not proud of it but I have also had a few 30 days listings go to the unsold column with not a single view.

evry1nositswindy  •  seller since 2013
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 63 of 105
latest reply

@cellcasehub wrote:

You really don't know how much Amazon is making from their marketplace and you have no idea what eBay is making, because if not for Donahoe's tax on shipping eBay would have been showing negative growth since it's inception.

I know how to read a financial statement so yes I do know what profits Amazon and eBay make.

eBay's GMV has nothing to do with fees on shipping, although eBay's growth in GMV has been very disappointing, with the exception of a couple of quarters it has increased continually for the past 22 years.

As I've posted before, eBay's restructuring of fees in 2013 that included fees on shipping did not appreciably alter (up or down) their total fee revenue (Take Rate) which has remained fairly consistant for about 10 years.

Message 64 of 105
latest reply

Since you know how to read a financial statement you should know that eBay's GMV now includes the shipping fees, so like I said, without that Donahoe tax on shipping eBay would have been showing Wall Street negative growth since the day Donahoe started charging fees on shipping volumes.

Message 65 of 105
latest reply

@slippinjimmy wrote:

@auctionpet wrote:
I looked at 1 auction listing yesterday. Didn't put it on my watch list or bid, have no plans to. Yet, today I received what I find to be a highly intrusive ebay email saying an item I'm interested in is ending soon, encouraging me to bid!! I really didn't appreciate receiving this type of email simply because I viewed a listing. If this is what ebay is doing to everyone when they look at items no wonder there are few sales. Who wants to browse here if it's going to result in what I consider spying spam mail! I will surely think twice now before viewing listings.

eBay can't get their search right, but they have no problem tracking everything a person views and sending them solicitation emails despite one having preferences set NOT to receive them!

"Highly intrusive"???? Really? A marketing email which you could get rid of with one click is highly intrusive?

In any event, if you don't like them you are free to turn them off in your notification preferences or use the opt-out link that is included in every one of those messages.

While you say you have them turned off but still get them, maybe you should check on that. I have them turned on for some of my user id' s and turned off on others. The accounts where it's turned off get NOTHING, the ones that are turned on get quite a few.

One thing for sure, I get a lot more from Amazon and they keep coming even if I don't log in there for weeks or months.

Apparently you don't get it. Who wants to receive an email the result of every single item they decide to look at!! Seriously, that is not a one click thing to get rid. I didn't put it on my watch list. I don't need to hear emails going off that are unwanted, I get enough of those from other spammers. My ebay preferences are very selective and I expect communication from them to meet my selections. The first thing I did was double check my preferences. I think after 20 yrs I know what I'm doing.  So YES, to me it's intrusive, just because YOU wouldn't find them to be doesn't give you a right to criticize. 

Message 66 of 105
latest reply

Does anyone sell anything on eBay anymore?  Absolutely.  I follow a bunch of sellers who sell things like anime/video game/general fandom collectibles, video games, merchandise from TV shows/movies, etc., and they all sell 100+ items a month.  I just looked at one of them-- they currently have 1,168 items listed and they've made 142 sales this month alone.  That's not bad for someone who sells exclusively in one niche.

Message 67 of 105
latest reply

@yuzuha wrote:

Does anyone sell anything on eBay anymore?  Absolutely.  I follow a bunch of sellers who sell things like anime/video game/general fandom collectibles, video games, merchandise from TV shows/movies, etc., and they all sell 100+ items a month.  I just looked at one of them-- they currently have 1,168 items listed and they've made 142 sales this month alone.  That's not bad for someone who sells exclusively in one niche.

It's pretty bad when a 12% sell thru rate is considered good!

Message 68 of 105
latest reply

@slippinjimmy wrote:

@timemachine777 wrote:

@pingpong517 wrote:
oh...i get you...yes but I think I read where they have stated that is the goal...to Be an Amazon... you like them...whatever...so writing in on the wall for us little ones

Pretty much, but eBay will fail as usual, and kick all the small sellers to the curb while they're at it. eBay believes in burning down the bridge while they're still on it, only to crash in the river below. eBay's idea is to be like Amazon without selling the product yourself. Sorry, it doesn't work that way.

There's no way eBay will be able too pull that much profit out of the pockets of the sellers. eBay wants to somehow latch on to the sellers profits, and keep it for themselves. They're all nuts if they think that sellers would even stay here as their profits keep going to eBay by larger percentages. Amazon makes the bulk of it's money from its own sales, as it has very few merchants compared to eBay.

You know if you are going to continue to make claims about eBay you really should study your facts!

Fact #1

Amazon has NEVER in their entire history shown a profit on their marketplace revenues. What pittance of a profit they have shown in the past few years has ALL come from Amazon Web Services. Even those profits are likely to diminish as they are coming under severe pressure from the likes of Microsoft, Google, Apple, Oracle, IBM, HP and dozens of other companies who have MUCH deeper pockets than Amazon.

Fact #2

Third-Party sellers on the Amazon Marketplace now represent about 50% of total GMV and they are the only reason Amazon isn't bleeding more money.

Fact #3

While there are an estimated 60 Million Amazon Prime members, the cost of servicing those members only adds to Amazon's operating losses. Streaming audio and video is not free, besides the technical costs there are production costs for Amazon created material and rights fees paid to suppliers on non-original material. Of course we should also not forget that Amazon are losing Billions (over $6B in 2016) on shipping costs, mostly to provide free 2-day shipping to Prime members.

If it wasn't for borrowing (currently about $8B) and dumping more shares (about $25B over the past 5 years) Amazon would have run out of cash several years ago. This is only going to get worse given Amazon will borrow another $12B+ to finance the Whole Foods purchase.

Jeff Bezos may be a visionary but his vision has been financed by investors who may be in for a rude awakening. The current stock price is unsupportable by the numbers and one day (as happened in the past) the share prices could be in for a massive tumble.

I can see you don't know how Amazon works an why Bezos named his business Amazon. Amazon doesn't need to turn a profit per se, and I don't really want to conflate the two, but here goes. Amazon generates a huge amount of revenue.

Lets take 2014 for example eBay produced 17.9 bil to Amazon's 89 bil., however, Amazon doesn't turn it over as profit. Instead Amazon spends most of the profits from revenue to keep growing bigger and bigger, while making sure that the added growth, keeps generating more revenue, so that the company keeps getting bigger.

That's it in a nutshell. An eBay can't compete with that.

Message 69 of 105
latest reply

Message 70 of 105
latest reply

WHAT?!?! When the Heck did Yahoo go under? I must have been binge watching Doctor Who when that was going on... LOL 😄

Belle
Message 71 of 105
latest reply

https://www.google.com/search?num=30&q=Marissa+Mayer+resigns+yahoo+sold&oq=Marissa+Mayer+resigns+yah...

Microsoft once offered Jerry Yang 50 billion, they sold the company for 4.5 billion or so, Yahoo is finished, they are renaming the company.

Message 72 of 105
latest reply

@timemachine777 wrote:

@slippinjimmy wrote:

@timemachine777 wrote:

@pingpong517 wrote:
oh...i get you...yes but I think I read where they have stated that is the goal...to Be an Amazon... you like them...whatever...so writing in on the wall for us little ones

Pretty much, but eBay will fail as usual, and kick all the small sellers to the curb while they're at it. eBay believes in burning down the bridge while they're still on it, only to crash in the river below. eBay's idea is to be like Amazon without selling the product yourself. Sorry, it doesn't work that way.

There's no way eBay will be able too pull that much profit out of the pockets of the sellers. eBay wants to somehow latch on to the sellers profits, and keep it for themselves. They're all nuts if they think that sellers would even stay here as their profits keep going to eBay by larger percentages. Amazon makes the bulk of it's money from its own sales, as it has very few merchants compared to eBay.

You know if you are going to continue to make claims about eBay you really should study your facts!

Fact #1

Amazon has NEVER in their entire history shown a profit on their marketplace revenues. What pittance of a profit they have shown in the past few years has ALL come from Amazon Web Services. Even those profits are likely to diminish as they are coming under severe pressure from the likes of Microsoft, Google, Apple, Oracle, IBM, HP and dozens of other companies who have MUCH deeper pockets than Amazon.

Fact #2

Third-Party sellers on the Amazon Marketplace now represent about 50% of total GMV and they are the only reason Amazon isn't bleeding more money.

Fact #3

While there are an estimated 60 Million Amazon Prime members, the cost of servicing those members only adds to Amazon's operating losses. Streaming audio and video is not free, besides the technical costs there are production costs for Amazon created material and rights fees paid to suppliers on non-original material. Of course we should also not forget that Amazon are losing Billions (over $6B in 2016) on shipping costs, mostly to provide free 2-day shipping to Prime members.

If it wasn't for borrowing (currently about $8B) and dumping more shares (about $25B over the past 5 years) Amazon would have run out of cash several years ago. This is only going to get worse given Amazon will borrow another $12B+ to finance the Whole Foods purchase.

Jeff Bezos may be a visionary but his vision has been financed by investors who may be in for a rude awakening. The current stock price is unsupportable by the numbers and one day (as happened in the past) the share prices could be in for a massive tumble.

I can see you don't know how Amazon works an why Bezos named his business Amazon. Amazon doesn't need to turn a profit per se, and I don't really want to conflate the two, but here goes. Amazon generates a huge amount of revenue.

Lets take 2014 for example eBay produced 17.9 bil to Amazon's 89 bil., however, Amazon doesn't turn it over as profit. Instead Amazon spends most of the profits from revenue to keep growing bigger and bigger, while making sure that the added growth, keeps generating more revenue, so that the company keeps getting bigger.

That's it in a nutshell. An eBay can't compete with that.

Actually it's clear that it's you who doesn't understand Amazon's accounting and reporting and how it differs from the way eBay reports revenue.

Let me break it down for you.

Amazon's reported "revenue" includes the total gross value of the goods sold on the Marketplace, that includes sales of goods by Amazon AND sales of goods by third-party sellers.

eBay on the other hand reports revenue which consists only of the fees they collect from sellers.

You are also probably not aware that the way Amazon reports R&D expenditures is a fraud as it includes capital leases on fullfilment & data centers and massive expenditures for the servers that run AWS. Neither of these are true R&D and not only that they barely qualify as Capital investments since servers have a lifespan of only 3 - 4 years before they become worthless junk and leases on warehouses, planes and trucks also depreciate rapidly.

In theory one day Amazon will drastically cut back on "R&D" expenditures in order to actually produce profits, of course that day may never come. Does Jeff Bezos care? No he doesn't, after all he can just dump a few more Billion in shares enriching his pocket and leaving investors holding the bag. For sure some investors who are actively trading Amazon stock may make a bucketload of money if their timing is right but for those who are holding out for the big payoff they may get a rude awakening.

Message 73 of 105
latest reply

My sales are less then 50% of what they were for the last 10 years I am beginning to think I may have to find another
source =of income. It may also be the enhanced listing features causing this to happen hiding our listings It could also be that the other auction sites Etsy Bonanza, Ubid, and others are gaining steam and ebay is losing ground. it has become serious for me to consider making changes since all my inclome comes from listing on ebay
Message 74 of 105
latest reply

$   38,498,763,585    eBay market capitalization  38 billion

$ 479,763,127,366     Amazon market cap.            479 billion

Message 75 of 105
latest reply