cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does anyone sell anything on eBay anymore?

I have $32,000 in merchandise listed on eBay and had one $9 sale in the entire month of June. On the other hand, when I search for interesting things to buy on eBay -- used and/or vintage -- I find very little.

This is my 19th year as an eBay seller/buyer; and to think there was once a time when I spent $5,000 a month on the site.

Something must be driving the stock price, other than display ads and corporate lies?

Message 1 of 105
latest reply
104 REPLIES 104

Re: Does anyone sell anything on eBay anymore?

I wonder if mobile computing is to blame?  Looking at search results on a tiny screen while waiting in line at the grocery store is not the same experience as viewing ebay at home on a large computer screen.   Also, texting on a smartphone is more difficult than typing on a keyboard so people may be using less search terms and not using advanced search options.

Message 31 of 105
latest reply

oh...i get you...yes but I think I read where they have stated that is the goal...to Be an Amazon... you like them...whatever...so writing in on the wall for us little ones
Message 32 of 105
latest reply

I should also mention that my net online income for May & June is over $35,000, and that's from the same kind of merchandise that I have listed on eBay.

Message 33 of 105
latest reply

@emerald40 wrote:

@pingpong517 wrote:

my question is....Are people not coming to ebay and looking...Do they just go look somewhere other ...WHY is the feeling...and agin not all...but the feeling the "view" and the sales DROPPED OFF..

And of course not all... but blame all you want.. IS THERE SOMETHING going on...is it the other ON-LINE places... competition yes, but really seems like something just turned off...

I can tell you from 2 experiences - one from my son, one from his friend - both that I witnessed.

Both went on looking for a particular item.  The search gave them so much of what they were not looking for, they gave up and went to the A where they found the items in minutes.

Many milleniums have short attention spans, so they want to find it fast, and have very little tolerance for glitches.

yes that has to be a part..seems like a lot to say about the SEARCHING aspect of ebay....and since i don't understand it all..I can't say...but it is true about what you get when searching

Message 34 of 105
latest reply

You say: " I've stopped buying on eBay primarily because there's nothing good in my categories"

What is this MYSTERIOUS merchandise you can't find on eBay?

Whatever it is it will show up one day or another. . .

I missed a Site Window for my compressor in Feb., now I have an alert set for when the next one gets listed. Not sure how long I'll have to wait but it will show up, maybe next month maybe next year.

Message 35 of 105
latest reply

I agree Z.

If the item exists, it will eventually show up on ebay, if it is not there already,

None of the other sites come close.

Message 36 of 105
latest reply

@ozarkjoe wrote:

I wonder if mobile computing is to blame?  Looking at search results on a tiny screen while waiting in line at the grocery store is not the same experience as viewing ebay at home on a large computer screen.   Also, texting on a smartphone is more difficult than typing on a keyboard so people may be using less search terms and not using advanced search options.

And yet Amazon is doing just fine with a $1003 stock price while ebay is barely strutting along at $35 a share.

When you look at most large ecommerce sites, their core pages and apps have basically remained the same.  The same goes for Facebook, Google and the like.

ebay OTOH is and has been in some kind of super-change mode for over a decade. Racing to the bottom trying to locate their identity, Change this, move that, hide this, put a button here a tab there, change this policy, add this policy, delete this feature, copy this company, copy that company. Thrend here, trend there, wheres Waldo x infinity.

Buyers and sellers alike, especially the younger people who ebay claims to be courting don't have patience for much, much less ebay's psychopathic changes every single day.  I mean, who hides a description of a product?

Add China, the scams and all the rest and it's really a cess-pool here in many ways. A brand that lives in the mud and can't find it's way out.

I wish they would just go back to their simplistic roots and just host products with some good protections in place, a solid vetting system, a stable web site and get the heck out of the way.  They've done nothing but micro-meddle in everything to the point that it's imploded on them and on us.

Change.....As the wind blows
Message 37 of 105
latest reply

Also remember that when eBay ticks off their sellers, we are the biggest buyers, so when they leave a bad taste in our mouths by pulling down listings without permission, scamming sellers on promoted listings when sellers are already paying for stores, listing fees, and final value fees including final value fees on shipping, then eBay becomes somewhat of a bad thought in the mind of those of us who have been their largest supporters and customers over the years.

eBay has a massive public relations problem and their top executives are the cause of it all.

Message 38 of 105
latest reply

@whatmodernwas wrote:

@retrose1 wrote:

@whatmodernwas wrote:

I have $32,000 in merchandise listed on eBay and had one $9 sale in the entire month of June. On the other hand, when I search for interesting things to buy on eBay -- used and/or vintage -- I find very little.

This is my 19th year as an eBay seller/buyer; and to think there was once a time when I spent $5,000 a month on the site.

Something must be driving the stock price, other than display ads and corporate lies?

I find it interesting that the OP mentions the value of his merchandise and not the number of items to get to that value.  The OP also mentions that they used to spend $5,000 a month buying on ebay.

I think that the buying on ebay might be having an influence on why they are selling very little.  When you buy on ebay, you have to pay to have the item shipped to you and a reseller has to recoup that cost somehow and it usually ends up in the price of the item.  And since ebay has become known to be the place to find a bargain, the cost of two shippings might have driven the price of the OP's items a little too high for ebay buyers tastes if the OP buys to resell on ebay.

I sell some stuff on ebay, I sell in a saturated category and make no effort to get my items in front of as many eyes as possible.  And I am ok with knowing that I could sell more, but with more sales would come with more problems so I do what I am doing and accept my fate as a seller on ebay.

I've stopped buying on eBay primarily because there's nothing good in my categories, not simply because prices are too high. The good stuff usually comes from individual sellers, who've mostly left eBay it seems, and these categories are now flooded with "big-box" sellers with new merchandise and retail prices. I can find the same new merchandise for less with 2-day Prime shipping on Amazon.

On eBay, I'm looking for used and/or vintage merchandise at good prices.

As far as selling clothing, in the last 19 years I sold one shirt on eBay. It was a brand new, really nice men's Armani dress shirt that wasn't my size; and that was a decade ago.

Whenever i have searched on ebay for something and ebay tells me there isn't any listed - if I keep looking for an hour or so tweaking the search, eventually I will see the thousand or so that are listed on ebay.

Right now the new abomination is that I can search for something with 4 keywords and ebay will show me pages of items with maybe one or two keywords I used and maybe a few listings of what I want - but there on the right is browse related and there are 4 of the exact thing I am looking for not included in the search results.  This has happened to me about a dozen times in the past few days.

Really ebay!! - you know exactly what I am looking for but refuse to show it to me in search results?  Why not show what I am looking for, what I want, and show the other stuff on the side as related?  In what retail universe is what you are doing now considered good. 

Get what the buyer is looking for in front of their eyes in as few clicks as possible and the sales will come back to ebay.

(*Bleep*)
Message 39 of 105
latest reply

case for iPhone 3

run the above search to see how inept eBay really is..........

No way buyers are going to come back after searches like this, it happens in other searches too !!!

Otterbox Defender Moto X 2nd Gen

Look at the thousands of decals for the Otterbox they are showing instead of the Otterboxes on eBay.

Message 40 of 105
latest reply

I ran that search and if I needed a case for a Moto X 2nd Gen I would have plenty to choose from.

As far as the decal seller, they have a lot on that search.

Message 41 of 105
latest reply

I'm lucky to sell one or two items a week, but what I sell has to find the right audience.  It's unfortunate that what so many young comics fans, and dealers, for that matter, are hunting is the brand new, get-rich-quick-off-variants stuff, and not the quirky, fun, cool stuff of yesterday.  Independants are the only ones coming out with interesting titles, these days.  I've completely abandoned Marvel and DC, except for the older stuff, and Image.

I've been bundling a few things, and got a buy today.  That's actually four sales this week, so I'm ahead of the curve.  Well, my curve, anyway.  *L*

Luck to all on sales!!!

Message 42 of 105
latest reply

One of the first things you learn in finance classes is that the price of a share of a company on its own is an indication of nothing. You need to look at it in context with number of shares, how much of the company is public, whether the share prices are increasing or decreasing.

IMHO as a power buyer the biggest problem with Ebay is their intentional corruption of the search function. Search is no longer functional. You cannot find things you want and often times it turns up things you don't. EVERY SINGLE TIME I search for inventory I have to reset the category to all. Otherwise it defaults and only shows me a third of the items available.

Message 43 of 105
latest reply

@pingpong517 wrote:

@coolections wrote:

@emerald40 wrote:

Very difficult to give advice when you do not post on your selling account.

Really no need to even see the I.D., with $32K of merchandise and a $9 sale most will already know the top 3 reasons why.

HUH?  why what? and why not say ID..then we all can marvel at $32000 worth of inventory...and one $9 sale....do you know the top 3 reason? 

and yes there is too many selling ....with large inventories....

Well, you almost found the reason.

Free Listings.

Plain and simple.

Unlimited supply, not constrained by any cost considerations.

Demand does not have that sort of elasticity. 

The Floggings Will Continue Until Morale Improves.
Message 44 of 105
latest reply

@banana-posts wrote:

44 sales in the past 7 days out of 147 items listed.

Learn what's trending, what people are buying, what the Chinese can't duplicate. Obtain it cheap and watch the money roll in.

Dead or over saturated categories include clothing, vintage items, shelf wear, general household junk, DVDs, Tapes, CDs and more.

Popular categories include electronics, video game systems and games, drones, tools, auto parts, anything Apple and most anything Samsung.

And  yet, ebay has screwed up this site to such a degree that even the popular categories are taking a hit but not so bad that it's not sustainable at least for now. I have a strong feeling it's only going to get worse around here. A lot worse. No technology can keep pace with the manic and frenzied changes ebay is doing to their infrastructure, it seems on a daily or even hourly basis.

For the eBay of today, that's an impressive STR!

Back in 2007,  30% STR would have been considered "sub-par". 

The Floggings Will Continue Until Morale Improves.
Message 45 of 105
latest reply