cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Colorado Senate Bill 21-260 Retail Delivery Fee

Colorado Senate Bill 21-260 Retail Delivery Fee begins July 1, 2022

Will eBay collect and submit this tax on behalf of sellers in Colorado?

Retail Delivery Fee (RDF)

Do you sell taxable items that will be delivered by a motor vehicle to a location in Colorado

(including deliveries made by a third-party)?

If the answer is yes, this impacts you!

You will be required to charge, collect, and remit a new fee to the Colorado Department of Revenue (CDOR).

Highlights

• Begins July 1, 2022
  • Applies to all retail sales delivered by a motor vehicle to a location in Colorado
  • Includes third-party deliveries
  • $0.27 per retail sale for delivery
  • Charged to the purchaser
  • Collected by the retailer and remitted to CDOR
  • Follows sales tax filing frequencies and due dates
  • Filed on a separate return, form DR 1786

Those impacted

• Retailers licensed to make sales in Colorado 
  • Examples include, but are not limited to:
  • Restaurants that deliver
  • Grocery Stores that deliver
  • Flower delivery services
  • Sales that require delivery 
  • Furniture
  • Appliances
  • Electronics
  • Online stores that ship orders
  • Business-to-business retail sales (excluding wholesale sales)

Transactions subject to the Retail Delivery Fee (RDF)

• All retail sales that:
  • Have at least one item delivered by motor vehicle; and
  • Include at least one item that is subject to Colorado state sales tax

Message 1 of 65
latest reply
64 REPLIES 64

Re: Colorado Senate Bill 21-260 Retail Delivery Fee

@valueaddedresource wrote:
Seems pretty clear to me - eBay is the marketplace facilitator, so if this fee is to be collected for eBay orders shipped to Colorado, eBay would be the one required to collect and remit it.

Ayup. It seems like this would be basically the same mechanism as is used for collecting state-specific sales taxes, so if CO wants to charge 27¢ extra per sale, I suspect eBay won't find that much of a challenge to implement.

(I have to smile at that 27¢ number itself... I suppose it's meant to look like the result of some carefully-thought-out and very elaborate calculation, as opposed to a bunch of guys at the state capitol just throwing around a bunch of percentages until they settled on something that sounded right, didn't seem likely to be high enough for excessive squawking from the proletariat, and sounded vaguely official because it wasn't a nice round number.)

The only effect I can see this having on sellers is that presumably that will increase the total amount of the order on which final value and ad fees are calculated, so it may result in a very small increase in fees for orders shipped to that state.

It would be measured in pennies, I assume, but I would expect a fresh round of complaints about it from some sellers who have noticed it. I think the biggest or most effective pressure to rescind it, if anyone decides to try, will come from Colorado buyers more than anyone else.

Message 31 of 65
latest reply

I actually saw a commercial on this the other day on TV, but didn't know what it meant until I got an email from State of Colorado advising me of the fee/tax.  The commercial said something about Amazon Prime Members with free shipping, etc.  It wasn't until I received the email from the State of Colorado that it made sense that Amazon would then pass that on to the buyers.  Colorado has fullfillment centers (like you noted), so this leads me to think the commercial was for residents to call their elected officials to complain about another tax.  But, whatever - I'm still going to sell on eBay and Etsy, and just hope those platforms are doing what they need to do (by July 1st) to collect and remit on our behalf.

Message 32 of 65
latest reply

@m60driver wrote:

@lonebuck-books wrote:

As someone who grew up in Colorado and finally escaped the state, you can probably guess what my answer will be to them if they try to collect that insane fee from me.

Yes, that 27¢ is totally insane, intolerable, and clearly a justifiable cause for someone to get their panties in a bunch.

The problem is not so much the $.27 but the fact that this precedent could allow any taxing body to do likewise. So the state could tax $.27 and the County could tax $.27 and the township, municipal, library and the whole plethora of taxing bodies will want in on it and they will all not be satisfied with just $.27 for long.  This is exactly the way that every new tax starts out, oh it will only be $.27 you will not even notice. 

Message 33 of 65
latest reply

@the_fancy_fox wrote:

Personally, I don’t live in Colorado. And they can’t force me to collect this fee for them.  If they want to go after ebay to do so…… whatever.

Have to love the money grab.  Give a inch (sales tax collection) and they are going for the mile. It won’t stop with just this.

Absolutely, this will not be the end of this 

Just like the sales tax on ecommerce sales I agree with you 100% this is only the beginning. Another one of those things eBay could not have foresaw when they moved to Managed Payments. Had they remained with PayPal the collection and remittance would have been on PayPal. Under MP eBay is seen as the merchant of record not the actual seller.  

Message 34 of 65
latest reply

Have to love the money grab.  Give a inch (sales tax collection) and they are going for the mile. It won’t stop with just this.

You are correct. Not as long as the tax and spend party is in control. 

Message 35 of 65
latest reply

My first thought was that this seems aimed squarely at Amazon: around here, their delivery trucks are more ubiquitous than the USPS and UPS combined.

Amazon no doubt is a target but I suspect it is more the local retail delivery businesses that are the prime target.  

Message 36 of 65
latest reply

Only if you are in Colorado. Minor charge to the buyer unless you are receiving 1,000's of shipments per year like some retail businesses do. Headache to the retail sellers with regards to book keeping and remittance of the dismal fee, think about any retail business that delivers, restaurant, grocery store, Pizza Hut for example.

Headache for the CDOR processing all those minimal payments especially if they are paid by check. Wonder how many hours will go into handling the coding changes in retail business software to adapt to this. 

Message 37 of 65
latest reply

My thought exactly, starts with CO and then like wild fire its adopted by more states. Just another added cost to an item for the buyer and if we have to pay FVF on it, it will add up over all. I know $.27 doesn't seem like much but I check, just the FVF fee's I paid on sales tax for last year, it was over $500

Message 38 of 65
latest reply

Actually there is a lawsuit filed regarding this tax law. Perhaps some good will come out of this and on election day these DEMOCRATIC Tax and Spend politicans will be unseated for being stupid. See Article below.

The funds are slated to be used for road repairs. I thought most of the roads in Colorado were Federal and the rest were dirt roads leading to cow pastures. LOL

A quartet of plaintiffs — including a state senator and the national organization Americans for Prosperity — filed a lawsuit Thursday to nullify the five fees created by the Colorado Legislature to generate most of the revenue for last year’s $5.3 billion transportation funding bill.

If the lawsuit, filed in Denver District Court against Gov. Jared Polis and the five enterprises created by Senate Bill 21-260, were to be successful, it would effectively gut the state’s plans for funding everything from bridge repairs to bus-fleet electrification. The legal action also seeks to nix a provision of the bill, passed on a mostly partisan basis, that raised the Taxpayer’s Bill of Rights cap on the amount of tax revenue the state can generate annually for its general fund, by $224 million.

Democrats viewed the bill as a signature piece of legislation, arguing that it created the first sustainable source of funding for transportation infrastructure in some 25 years. It set forth more than $1 billion in new funding for roads but also established fees whose proceeds will electrify the transportation system via new charging stations and grants to make zero-emission vehicles more accessible and will boost transit funding, and it put into place new environmental regulations requiring highway expansions to remove greenhouse gas emissions.

Those fees, however, were a primary reason that the bill generated fierce Republican opposition, and the lawsuit — filed by fiscal conservatism advocate AFP as well as by GOP state Sen. Jerry Sonnenberg of Sterling, Advance Colorado Institute President Michael Fields and state resident Richard Orman — argues they are unconstitutional.

Lee Steven, senior policy counsel for the Americans for Prosperity Foundation, explained in an interview that the suit argues that the creation or bolstering of five separate fee-based enterprises funding everything from trucking-fleet electrification to tunnel repairs, violates Proposition 117, which statewide voters approved in 2020. The initiative requires voters to approve any new enterprise that raises more than $100 million over its first five years.

SB 260 sponsors explained last year that they set up each of the enterprises to generate less than that amount in their first five years, thereby complying with the new law. However, the lawsuit claims that because the enterprises were created simultaneously, Proposition 117 requires their revenues to be aggregated, thus meaning that they would have to receive voter approval before being enacted — and that the TABOR cap would have to be adjusted downward to reflect the new enterprises, which didn’t happen.

The lawsuit also argues that a provision of the bill that raised the overall TABOR cap by $224 million also should have been subject to a vote of the people and violated the rule that bills adhere to a single subject to be constitutional. The plaintiffs have asked a judge to declare that each of the five new fees is invalid and to nullify the raising of the TABOR cap.

“Whether you call them fees or taxes, it’s a huge hit to Colorado taxpayers,” Steven said of SB 260. “Requiring the approval of voters is an important aspect of letting taxpayers know what the legislators are trying to do … If people knew what these were, they might not vote for them. We think this is a fairly obvious attempt to evade a constitutional requirement.”

A spokesman for Gov. Polis immediately declined to comment on the specifics of the lawsuit but pushed back on its premise as Polis also is pushing the state government to delay one of the fees on gas for a year and is pushing the federal government to suspend its gas tax.

“We’re not going to comment on pending litigation related to this bipartisan transportation bill that is going to finally fix our **bleep** roads, but obviously we all agree that there should be federal gas tax relief, and the governor has also proposed state gas fee relief now," press secretary Conor Cahill said in an email to Denver Business Journal on Friday.

SB 260 imposed a new fee on gasoline sales that acts like the gas tax, a new fee on diesel fuel sales, a new per-ride fee on transportation network companies like Uber and Lyft and a fee on retail delivery companies ranging from Amazon to DoorDash. All the fees are slated to begin on July 1, though Polis has asked legislators to pass a bill suspending the road-access fee on gas sales for one more year while fuel prices remain high.

The five enterprises, funded by a combination of fees, that the lawsuit seeks to invalidate are:

• The Community Access Enterprise, which will fund the development of electric vehicle charging infrastructure and more widespread adoption of electric vehicles.
  • The Clean Fleet Enterprise, which will provide assistance for the conversion of government and private-sector fleets into electric vehicles.
  • The Clean Transit Enterprise, which will fund public transit electrification.
  • The Nonattainment Area Air Pollution Mitigation Enterprise, which will fund projects to reduce traffic and air pollution along the Front Range corridor that is out of federal compliance on ozone standards.
  • The Statewide Bridge Enterprise, which funds bridge and tunnel repairs.

RECOMMENDED

Message 39 of 65
latest reply

@american-photography wrote:

Looks like there is a loophole . . . 

It says it pertains to motor vehicles (i.e. combustion engines).  Does that include electric vehicles and electric scooters?

It's not correct that "motor vehicles" are defined as those with "combustion engines." Electric vehicles have motors, making them "motor vehicles" and thereby subject to this legislation.

@american-photography wrote:

Also it only applies to third-party deliveries (i.e. Amazon, UPS, USPS, Doordash, Lyft, etc.), it would exclude deliveries from companies that ship their own products like grocery stores, furniture stores, etc.

That is not correct. 

"The retailer or marketplace facilitator that collects the sales or use tax on the tangible personal property sold and delivered, including delivery by a third party, is liable to collect and remit the retail delivery fee. Deliveries include when any taxable goods are mailed, shipped, or otherwise delivered by motor vehicle to a purchaser in Colorado."

Message 40 of 65
latest reply

Actually there is a lawsuit filed regarding this tax law. Perhaps some good will come out of this and on election day these DEMOCRATIC Tax and Spend politicans will be unseated for being stupid. See Article below.

The funds are slated to be used for road repairs. I thought most of the roads in Colorado were Federal and the rest were dirt roads leading to cow pastures. LOL

A quartet of plaintiffs — including a state senator and the national organization Americans for Prosperity — filed a lawsuit Thursday to nullify the five fees created by the Colorado Legislature to generate most of the revenue for last year’s $5.3 billion transportation funding bill.

If the lawsuit, filed in Denver District Court against Gov. Jared Polis and the five enterprises created by Senate Bill 21-260, were to be successful, it would effectively gut the state’s plans for funding everything from bridge repairs to bus-fleet electrification. The legal action also seeks to nix a provision of the bill, passed on a mostly partisan basis, that raised the Taxpayer’s Bill of Rights cap on the amount of tax revenue the state can generate annually for its general fund, by $224 million.

Democrats viewed the bill as a signature piece of legislation, arguing that it created the first sustainable source of funding for transportation infrastructure in some 25 years. It set forth more than $1 billion in new funding for roads but also established fees whose proceeds will electrify the transportation system via new charging stations and grants to make zero-emission vehicles more accessible and will boost transit funding, and it put into place new environmental regulations requiring highway expansions to remove greenhouse gas emissions.

Those fees, however, were a primary reason that the bill generated fierce Republican opposition, and the lawsuit — filed by fiscal conservatism advocate AFP as well as by GOP state Sen. Jerry Sonnenberg of Sterling, Advance Colorado Institute President Michael Fields and state resident Richard Orman — argues they are unconstitutional.

Lee Steven, senior policy counsel for the Americans for Prosperity Foundation, explained in an interview that the suit argues that the creation or bolstering of five separate fee-based enterprises funding everything from trucking-fleet electrification to tunnel repairs, violates Proposition 117, which statewide voters approved in 2020. The initiative requires voters to approve any new enterprise that raises more than $100 million over its first five years.

SB 260 sponsors explained last year that they set up each of the enterprises to generate less than that amount in their first five years, thereby complying with the new law. However, the lawsuit claims that because the enterprises were created simultaneously, Proposition 117 requires their revenues to be aggregated, thus meaning that they would have to receive voter approval before being enacted — and that the TABOR cap would have to be adjusted downward to reflect the new enterprises, which didn’t happen.

The lawsuit also argues that a provision of the bill that raised the overall TABOR cap by $224 million also should have been subject to a vote of the people and violated the rule that bills adhere to a single subject to be constitutional. The plaintiffs have asked a judge to declare that each of the five new fees is invalid and to nullify the raising of the TABOR cap.

“Whether you call them fees or taxes, it’s a huge hit to Colorado taxpayers,” Steven said of SB 260. “Requiring the approval of voters is an important aspect of letting taxpayers know what the legislators are trying to do … If people knew what these were, they might not vote for them. We think this is a fairly obvious attempt to evade a constitutional requirement.”

A spokesman for Gov. Polis immediately declined to comment on the specifics of the lawsuit but pushed back on its premise as Polis also is pushing the state government to delay one of the fees on gas for a year and is pushing the federal government to suspend its gas tax.

“We’re not going to comment on pending litigation related to this bipartisan transportation bill that is going to finally fix our **bleep** roads, but obviously we all agree that there should be federal gas tax relief, and the governor has also proposed state gas fee relief now," press secretary Conor Cahill said in an email to Denver Business Journal on Friday.

SB 260 imposed a new fee on gasoline sales that acts like the gas tax, a new fee on diesel fuel sales, a new per-ride fee on transportation network companies like Uber and Lyft and a fee on retail delivery companies ranging from Amazon to DoorDash. All the fees are slated to begin on July 1, though Polis has asked legislators to pass a bill suspending the road-access fee on gas sales for one more year while fuel prices remain high.

The five enterprises, funded by a combination of fees, that the lawsuit seeks to invalidate are:

• The Community Access Enterprise, which will fund the development of electric vehicle charging infrastructure and more widespread adoption of electric vehicles.
  • The Clean Fleet Enterprise, which will provide assistance for the conversion of government and private-sector fleets into electric vehicles.
  • The Clean Transit Enterprise, which will fund public transit electrification.
  • The Nonattainment Area Air Pollution Mitigation Enterprise, which will fund projects to reduce traffic and air pollution along the Front Range corridor that is out of federal compliance on ozone standards.
  • The Statewide Bridge Enterprise, which funds bridge and tunnel repairs.

Message 41 of 65
latest reply

@dhbookds wrote:

velvet@ebay 

Looks like this will go into effect..........Velvet can you check and determine if ebay will handle this????

Hey @dhbookds! Let me see what I can find out. 

Velvet,
eBay
Message 42 of 65
latest reply

Jerry Sonnenberg is my neighbor, and I live on a dirt road... leading to cow pastures lol...

I agree with all that you wrote - Thank you for being so detailed and informative.  Good stuff for all to read.

Message 43 of 65
latest reply

@chpgts wrote:

Americans for Prosperity is funded by the Koch brothers who believe in prosperity for themselves at the expense of the country.  They are great examples of what Adam Smith called "rentiers".  They are one of the main reasons that the country is divided and is a mess.

Message 44 of 65
latest reply

@the_fancy_fox wrote:

Interesting they say online stores. I would assume that means online stores that reside in the state.

considering what it took to get sales tax. Collected, this won’t happen to out of state vendors for a while, if ever.

@the_fancy_fox  it would mean all online stores but as I said previously, for orders placed through eBay, eBay will be responsible to collect and remit it as the marketplace facilitator, just like they currently do for regular sales tax.

The only out of state sellers who need to worry about this would presumably be if you have a direct website where you do enough sales into Colorado to meet the threshold for nexus and thus are required to collect and remit tax to Colorado for those sales - but if you're in that boat, you (should) already be collecting and remitting the regular sales tax so this will just need to be added into that.

TLDR: If you sell exclusively on eBay, you do not need to worry about this.

I believe the original intend was collecting sales tax, not a delivery fee. 

seems to be a grey area. Like what’s to stop them from imposing every goofy fee they can dream up?  

The Race is over
The Rats won.
Message 45 of 65
latest reply