cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Colorado Senate Bill 21-260 Retail Delivery Fee

Colorado Senate Bill 21-260 Retail Delivery Fee begins July 1, 2022

Will eBay collect and submit this tax on behalf of sellers in Colorado?

Retail Delivery Fee (RDF)

Do you sell taxable items that will be delivered by a motor vehicle to a location in Colorado

(including deliveries made by a third-party)?

If the answer is yes, this impacts you!

You will be required to charge, collect, and remit a new fee to the Colorado Department of Revenue (CDOR).

Highlights

• Begins July 1, 2022
  • Applies to all retail sales delivered by a motor vehicle to a location in Colorado
  • Includes third-party deliveries
  • $0.27 per retail sale for delivery
  • Charged to the purchaser
  • Collected by the retailer and remitted to CDOR
  • Follows sales tax filing frequencies and due dates
  • Filed on a separate return, form DR 1786

Those impacted

• Retailers licensed to make sales in Colorado 
  • Examples include, but are not limited to:
  • Restaurants that deliver
  • Grocery Stores that deliver
  • Flower delivery services
  • Sales that require delivery 
  • Furniture
  • Appliances
  • Electronics
  • Online stores that ship orders
  • Business-to-business retail sales (excluding wholesale sales)

Transactions subject to the Retail Delivery Fee (RDF)

• All retail sales that:
  • Have at least one item delivered by motor vehicle; and
  • Include at least one item that is subject to Colorado state sales tax

Message 1 of 65
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

@sextons-sweet-deals wrote:

you should be able to select the states that you're willing to ship to in your listings

I looked up this Colorado delivery tax on-line.  The article has most frequent questions with answers. Still a little fuzzy until eBay posts something, but questions 8, 10, & 13 stick out the most to me. 

Retail Delivery Fee | Department of Revenue - Taxation (colorado.gov)

@sextons-sweet-deals 

The retailer or marketplace facilitator that collects the sales or use tax on the tangible personal property sold and delivered, including delivery by a third party, is liable to collect and remit the retail delivery fee. Deliveries include when any taxable goods are mailed, shipped, or otherwise delivered by motor vehicle to a purchaser in Colorado.

Seems pretty clear to me - eBay is the marketplace facilitator, so if this fee is to be collected for eBay orders shipped to Colorado, eBay would be the one required to collect and remit it.

The only effect I can see this having on sellers is that presumably that will increase the total amount of the order on which final value and ad fees are calculated, so it may result in a very small increase in fees for orders shipped to that state.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 16 of 65
latest reply
64 REPLIES 64

velvet@ebay 

Looks like this will go into effect..........Velvet can you check and determine if ebay will handle this????

Message 2 of 65
latest reply

Personally, I don’t live in Colorado. And they can’t force me to collect this fee for them.  If they want to go after ebay to do so…… whatever.

Have to love the money grab.  Give a inch (sales tax collection) and they are going for the mile. It won’t stop with just this.

The Race is over
The Rats won.
Message 3 of 65
latest reply

My evil brain............suppose Ebay DOESN'T handle it.  I'm a tiny seller, comparatively, and know I've sold 3-5 items to Co in the last couple of months........so if 15,000.....a million.....2 million sellers each have to report......how much is it going to cost Co to process $2-$10 checks each reporting period?   And, how are they going to check compliance?  Are drones "motor vehicles".........lol.........

They seemed to have passed a number of these.....nickle/dime fees.......not only on retail......

Message 4 of 65
latest reply

As someone who grew up in Colorado and finally escaped the state, you can probably guess what my answer will be to them if they try to collect that insane fee from me.

Message 5 of 65
latest reply

@the_fancy_fox wrote:

Personally, I don’t live in Colorado. And they can’t force me to collect this fee for them.  If they want to go after ebay to do so…… whatever.

Have to love the money grab.  Give a inch (sales tax collection) and they are going for the mile. It won’t stop with just this.

Absolutely, this will not be the end of this 

Message 6 of 65
latest reply

@lonebuck-books wrote:

As someone who grew up in Colorado and finally escaped the state, you can probably guess what my answer will be to them if they try to collect that insane fee from me.

Yes, that 27¢ is totally insane, intolerable, and clearly a justifiable cause for someone to get their panties in a bunch.

Message 7 of 65
latest reply

I don't care provided ebay makes a way for the customer to be paying this or a way for me to build it into shipping rules and not just charging it directly to me extra. Doesn't seem like it would matter much except that I sell a lot of $1.99 items and this is 20 percent of what is left over from those sales after existing ebay fees.

Of course if they don't make it easy then maybe my competitors that are the worst at business will stop selling trading cards for 99 cents shipped for that 3 cents profit margin.

Message 8 of 65
latest reply

depending how this plays out, I may just add Colorado to my "do not ship to" list.

Message 9 of 65
latest reply

I am curious does this include items shipped via USPS as well. It seems like it might based on wording but I'd like clarification on that.

Message 10 of 65
latest reply

depending how this plays out, I may just add Colorado to my "do not ship to" list.

How would you do that??

....... "The Ranger isn't gonna like it Yogi"......... Boo-Boo knew what he was talking about!

Posting ID Only.......
Yes, I have no Bananas, only Flamethrowers.......
Message 11 of 65
latest reply

I'm assuming if you reside in CO and ship to a CO Buyer, then you have to pay or collect the tax

• Applies to all retail sales delivered by a motor vehicle to a location in Colorado
  • Includes third-party deliveries
Message 12 of 65
latest reply

I am not a retailer licensed in Colorado....

Though them sellers in Colorado that could end up with sales in Colorado might have a problem with this one...

I dont see how they can go after out of state folks: but time will tell...

Seems like this will be an interesting mess. 

Such of course is charged to the purchaser... yet the retailer is to collect and remit...

Message 13 of 65
latest reply

you should be able to select the states that you're willing to ship to in your listings

I looked up this Colorado delivery tax on-line.  The article has most frequent questions with answers. Still a little fuzzy until eBay posts something, but questions 8, 10, & 13 stick out the most to me. 

Message 14 of 65
latest reply

You can only exclude HI and Alaska.  You cannot exclude Colorado.

....... "The Ranger isn't gonna like it Yogi"......... Boo-Boo knew what he was talking about!

Posting ID Only.......
Yes, I have no Bananas, only Flamethrowers.......
Message 15 of 65
latest reply