cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer left negative feedback for cancelled transaction

So I "sold" an item (a coat) that I had listed probably 10 times. Seriously wanted to get rid of it. But I had listed it...and listed...and listed it...and listed it, and for some reason I can't find it anymore. I don't know if I donated it or if I misplaced it or what. 

Well guess what? The buyer left negative feedback. I can't give them the item I no longer have. Do I have any recourse regarding their negative feedback? My selling feedback was impecable and now this. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/132494407394?ViewItem=&item=132494407394

Message 1 of 70
latest reply
69 REPLIES 69

Re: Buyer left negative feedback for cancelled transaction

@saintpaulgolfwrote:

Human beings are becoming more and more harsh, mean-spirited, non-understanding. 

That's probably because more and more sellers are cancelling orders for whatever reason. No one here is being harsh; they're being honest.

Message 16 of 70
latest reply

I'VE NEVER CANCELLED A SELLING ORDER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've been selling so long now, maybe I did at one point, but I certainly don't recall it. And if I did, in the thousands of times I have sold an item, I certainly don't remember it. 

Sheesh. 

Message 17 of 70
latest reply

@saintpaulgolfwrote:

I would have given him $10.00 for his trouble. 

So, you would have offered to buy them off?  If it were up to me, that alone would get you suspended.

Forget keeping up with the Joneses. Be the Finklegrubers!
OK kids, time to get the Dodge loaded up again. I hear 'Poppy's By the Tree' calling. This trip might be a long one too.
Message 18 of 70
latest reply

@saintpaulgolfwrote:

People make mistakes. If I shipped them an item that was ripped or had holes or wasn't at all what it was described to be, sure a negative would be warranted. 

All I am saying is that people don't give anyone leeway anymore as humans to make mistakes. I made a mistake. I do absolutely everything in my power to be an honest seller. 

I guess 15+ years of selling with honesty means nothing. 

I've had the same thing happen with a pair of sunglasses years ago when negs/neutrals still resulted in defects    I told the buyer I lost them. Buyer left a neg.  do I wish the buyer had been more understanding?  Absolutely.  Do I blame them for leaving a neg?  No. Did I deserve it ? Yes I made a mistake.  Whether it was an accident or not my error caused the result.  At least they aren't defects anymore 

“Birth certificates show that you were born. Death certificates show that you died. Photographs show that you have lived.” -Unknown
Message 19 of 70
latest reply

@saintpaulgolfwrote:

I wanted to GET RID OF THE COAT. Whatever. 

Well, now you did.  Apparently.

Forget keeping up with the Joneses. Be the Finklegrubers!
OK kids, time to get the Dodge loaded up again. I hear 'Poppy's By the Tree' calling. This trip might be a long one too.
Message 20 of 70
latest reply

@saintpaulgolfwrote:

People make mistakes. If I shipped them an item that was ripped or had holes or wasn't at all what it was described to be, sure a negative would be warranted. 

All I am saying is that people don't give anyone leeway anymore as humans to make mistakes. I made a mistake. I do absolutely everything in my power to be an honest seller. 

I guess 15+ years of selling with honesty means nothing. 

Some people will and some won't.  You never know.  Try not to take it so hard and be thankful you never messed up before.  Why would you think this cancels out 15 years of your selling?  That's over the top drama.

Feedback doesn't count in evaluations now, but unfortunately, out of stock cancellations do.    So now you will have to be extra careful until the defect drops off.  Back when feedback was a defect, I worked at getting them revised but I don't bother now.

Message 21 of 70
latest reply

Hey stuff happens, it is life and you are human.... but this wasn't an enjoyable experience for the buyer....

a suggestion for the future - You have four active listings, you sold 5 items in January, about 8 this month..... keep everything in the same place and check to make sure it is present and in the same condition when you relist the item.....

There was never yet an uninteresting life. Such a thing is an impossibility. Inside of the dullest exterior there is a drama, a comedy and a tragedy.
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Message 22 of 70
latest reply

Yep, that is life. You list the item sitting around again and again, no one buys it. Then someone buys it and you can't find it. There is not much your can do. Most buyers are convinced canceled transactions are because a seller is trying to renege on a sale because they did not get enough money for it. Had it been a BIN, the buyer might have let it go, but because it was an auction, the buyer is convinced you refused to sell because he was the only bidder and you wanted more money.

About your follow up to the negative, only the first half was needed; "Apologies,Item lost bymistake." Adding "15+years perfect sell feedback speaks for itself." not good. 

Message 23 of 70
latest reply

I can't imagine the hugemanatee the buyer is dealing with right now. Next week you'll find the coat and can send a email asking if they still want it and even offer free shipping due to the hugemanatee and as with all jilted ebay buyers the answer will be no....

Message 24 of 70
latest reply

Why is my follow up response to the negative feedback not good?  

I didn't call them any names or anything? I tried to reasure bidders/buyers that my feedback speaks for itself. 

Please explain to me why that is "not good". 

Message 25 of 70
latest reply

Do you have any idea how many times "buyers" have cancelled or backed out of paying for items I have sold in the last year - heck, the last winter - alone? At least four times a winning bidder/buyer has backed out, maybe six times. It seems like it happens that more "buyers" back out of transactions now than actually pay for items. 

eBay really is almost insufferably painful. It's getting there. If eBay didn't have a monopoly on the market I would have been selling elsewhere long ago. 

Message 26 of 70
latest reply

Well you created a negative buying experience, among not seler resolved the worst you could do.

Its antisocial considering you have such a lot good feedback but on ebay, as it is , they can simply pull the lever give you bad FB or open the case and on occassion they will, simply becuase they can.

IMO they shouldnt be able to leave FB for a non transaction.

I have several 100K small parts and it happens all the time something is sold out, mostly I get around it, including to ask them to wait until restocked, or ship something else (they often order more than one item).

But of course I must take a lot of care the inventory listed, to reorder, and sometimes I spend an hour to search some small parts that didnt sell in a while.

They shouldnt be able to leave bad FB for a non transaction but think how ebay sees it, worst case, people list tremendously large inventories they dont actually have and tell 9 out of 10, sorry, we dont have the item. So you are punished by a full defect for cancelling.

Just for the fact you briefly have a few dollars in your account. But its the element the buyer thinks he got some fantastic item or some item they badly need fast + nobody else has it. That spoils their day, and creates a bad buying experience. Avoid out of stock or cant find item at any cost!

Message 27 of 70
latest reply

Often the NEG you receive isn't solely due to your actions, especially with a good buyer who doesn't leave a lot of Negs. It is usually the camel that broke the straws back.... ah flip that.... for example the buyer has had auctions cancelled in the past because the item only got one bid, and the seller lies and makes up some lame excuse, such as "lost it", and the next day it is relisted at a higher price and he is tired of it... and you come along and you make a mistake.... now you have to pay for your honest mistake and for all the previous sellers who lied... because the buyer doesn't trust anyone saying they "lost the item" and it happened once too often..... it may be both you and the buyer are good people, but all the sellers who pulled these shenanagans in the past have ruined the relationship and the buyer's trust.....

There was never yet an uninteresting life. Such a thing is an impossibility. Inside of the dullest exterior there is a drama, a comedy and a tragedy.
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Message 28 of 70
latest reply

There are people who leave negative remarks just to leave them and hurt sellers.  I would never leave negative feedback when I:

a) only paid $2.50 for an item and got free shipping

b) as a seller and buyer, I understand that the USPS isn't very careful with packages

c) received a full refund immediately upon the seller finding out that the  item arrived broken 

Those who leave negative feedback for trivial reasons, as the original poster on this tread stated, are what's wrong with Ebay.  Most people on here who are sellers are small businesses, hobbyists, etc.  PEOPLE MAKE MISTAKES.  That's no reason to leave a negative comment.  Life is too short to get all worked up especially if one gets their money back.  

Message 29 of 70
latest reply

@saintpaulgolfwrote:

I'VE NEVER CANCELLED A SELLING ORDER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sheesh. 

Then what, exactly, did you do?  The buyer bought the item, otherwise s/he could NOT leave feedback.

Message 30 of 70
latest reply