cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer left negative feedback for cancelled transaction

So I "sold" an item (a coat) that I had listed probably 10 times. Seriously wanted to get rid of it. But I had listed it...and listed...and listed it...and listed it, and for some reason I can't find it anymore. I don't know if I donated it or if I misplaced it or what. 

Well guess what? The buyer left negative feedback. I can't give them the item I no longer have. Do I have any recourse regarding their negative feedback? My selling feedback was impecable and now this. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/132494407394?ViewItem=&item=132494407394

Message 1 of 70
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: Buyer left negative feedback for cancelled transaction

The unsold list can be very dangerous.   You have to be careful with that thing.    Best regards

View Best Answer in original post

Message 70 of 70
latest reply
69 REPLIES 69

Well guess what? The buyer left negative feedback

Why would that be a surprise?  You failed to fulfill your part of the deal.

Message 2 of 70
latest reply

What do you think negatives are for? It's an unemotional and factual negative that you deserved. What basis would you use for removal? At least it's not a ranting negative calling you a scammer.

Message 3 of 70
latest reply

BTW cancelling an order hurt you far more than the negative will.

Message 4 of 70
latest reply

@saintpaulgolfwrote:

The buyer left negative feedback. I can't give them the item I no longer have. Do I have any recourse regarding their negative feedback?

Probably not. Your only option is to see if the buyer will reconsider, and if so, you can send him a feedback revision request. Don't do that unless he agrees to it in messaging first.

This may be a small consolation, but at least it's factual, and I (as a buyer) wouldn't be too concerned about buying from you in future, because I could be pretty confident that you'd be keeping a lot closer eye on your inventory now.

So, yes, I think you may need to ride this one out, but I don't think it will do much if any damage to your future sales, certainly not like some other Negs that we see quoted around here.

Message 5 of 70
latest reply

They never gave me an oppurtunity to do anything. There wasn't much I could do (I don't think) but I would have given him $10.00 for his trouble. 

Message 6 of 70
latest reply

That's pretty much what feedback is intended for.  They are warning other buyers that if they search and buy your items, they might not actually get them.  It happens.  As a seller, if we mess up we can expect bad feedback.

I would compose a good follow-up to reassure my future buyers.

Message 7 of 70
latest reply

try reaching out to the buyer, and just try to explain, you could try calling them, and explain. You could offer a replacment, you could say your sorry and explain what happened, a feedback revision form could be sent with ten dollars, reaching out to the buyer is the only thing, you can reply to the feedback recieved and say you plain messed up and accidently donated the item, good luck, don't try to juggle too many items for sale next time and keep track of your items and listings.

Message 8 of 70
latest reply

@saintpaulgolfwrote:

They never gave me an oppurtunity to do anything. There wasn't much I could do (I don't think) but I would have given him $10.00 for his trouble. 

Did you actually message the buyer to tell them you couldn't find the item, or did you just cancel the transaction without saying a word to the buyer ?

Message 9 of 70
latest reply

Yes, I told them. I had listed that coat several times last year and around 6 times this year. Literally like FOREVER. I was TRYING TO GET RID OF IT.

I told them that - did they really think I would list an item some 10 times and then mess around with them? Then I didn't hear any response from the last time I contacted them so I thought the issue was over. Then whammo - wake up to a negative they left today. They never responded to my last contact. In fact it has been so long I can't remember what I said to them outside of that I listed it so many times I don't even know what happened to it.
Message 10 of 70
latest reply

I think it is straight up bologna that people can leave whatever feedback they want as buyers.  I was able to get a negative remark removed on my account.  I reported the buyer's feedback as harrasment, which it was since I refunded him fully for the $2.50 (plus free shipping) - the item arrived broken - and he continued to send assinine email messages to me.  Try that route and see if that works. 

I have had to cancel transacations in the past too becuse of mis-placing stuff.  Use this as a learning experience for next time.  Hooray!

Message 11 of 70
latest reply

Well ebay won't remove the neg, so feedback revision is the only way, but the buyer would have to agree to it..

Message 12 of 70
latest reply

Yes. Look at that item. Look in the "finished" ebay auction searches. This year alone I listed it like 6 times. 

Why in the world would I keep listing it - for my amusement? Ridiculous. I wanted to GET RID OF THE COAT. Whatever. 

Human beings are becoming more and more harsh, mean-spirited, non-understanding. 

Message 13 of 70
latest reply

@vintagevibes81wrote:

I think it is straight up bologna that people can leave whatever feedback they want as buyers.  I was able to get a negative remark removed on my account.  I reported the buyer's feedback as harrasment, which it was since I refunded him fully for the $2.50 (plus free shipping) - the item arrived broken - and he continued to send assinine email messages to me.  Try that route and see if that works. 

I have had to cancel transacations in the past too becuse of mis-placing stuff.  Use this as a learning experience for next time.  Hooray!

You think a buyer can't leave a negative feedback, for having a negative experience? What reason can a buyer leave negative feedback for, if not literally THE thing negative feedbacks were made for? Did they have a positive buying experience?

Message 14 of 70
latest reply

People make mistakes. If I shipped them an item that was ripped or had holes or wasn't at all what it was described to be, sure a negative would be warranted. 

All I am saying is that people don't give anyone leeway anymore as humans to make mistakes. I made a mistake. I do absolutely everything in my power to be an honest seller. 

I guess 15+ years of selling with honesty means nothing. 

Message 15 of 70
latest reply