cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer left negative feedback for cancelled transaction

So I "sold" an item (a coat) that I had listed probably 10 times. Seriously wanted to get rid of it. But I had listed it...and listed...and listed it...and listed it, and for some reason I can't find it anymore. I don't know if I donated it or if I misplaced it or what. 

Well guess what? The buyer left negative feedback. I can't give them the item I no longer have. Do I have any recourse regarding their negative feedback? My selling feedback was impecable and now this. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/132494407394?ViewItem=&item=132494407394

Message 1 of 70
latest reply
69 REPLIES 69

I lost the item and/or my spouse got rid of it. That is different than CANCELLING a transaction when I still have the item (because I didn't like that I sold it for less than I wanted or something along those lines). 

I have NEVER cancelled a transaction after I sold an item because I was not happy about how little I sold the item for. 

Message 31 of 70
latest reply

nobody has said that you did or didn't, but the buyer only knows that you cancelled. Some buyers would believe you, some would not. 

In the end, that's why you verify that you have something before you list it and if you don't, you take the consequences. 

"Believe in something, even if it means sacrificing everything" Colin Kaepernick the new face of NIKE
Message 32 of 70
latest reply

It's still canceling a transaction and disappointing a buyer.  

I wouldn't leave a neg for a seller in this situation but I understand a buyer who does out of disappointment.  

I think your response to the neg is perfect.  It's exactly what I was thinking of suggesting as a response 

“Birth certificates show that you were born. Death certificates show that you died. Photographs show that you have lived.” -Unknown
Message 33 of 70
latest reply

Most people are human and DO NOT arbitrarily leave feedback for trivial reasons. They leave feedback because someone drops the ball and they are disappointed. Maybe they have been looking for that particular coat for a while. Maybe they passed up other opportunities because they are committed to this one.

Whether other people behave badly is irrelevent. Unless THIS buyer is one who has stiffed you in the past, the fact that other people have has nothing to do with this. Sellers can get more money, it is often much harder to replace a specific item.

Also since sellers are paid, they are considered professional and therefore held to a higher standard than a buyer.

I'm sorry this buyer negged you. I wouldn't have. However it is perfectly reasonable and within their rights to do so and it doesn't make them a bad person.

Message 34 of 70
latest reply

I guess 15+ years of selling with honesty means nothing. 

It's a record to be proud of.  It's also ok to be proud of accepting the consequences when you make that rare mistake.

I don't see anybody, including the buyer, suggesting this was anything other than a mistake,  FWIW, I think it's human nature to over-explain our mistakes to buyers, and it's human nature for them to resent that.

Message 35 of 70
latest reply

This was an honest mistake, could have happened to anyone. Because of this, you feel the neg is undeserved. Unfortunately you stumbled into one of the few reasons eBay hands out defects now. Failure to complete the sale. No one is saying you were trying to pull a fast one here. But whatever the cause, failure to complete the transaction is a serious mistake. The negative is the consequence. 

Message 36 of 70
latest reply

@saintpaulgolfwrote:

So I "sold" an item (a coat) that I had listed probably 10 times. Seriously wanted to get rid of it. But I had listed it...and listed...and listed it...and listed it, and for some reason I can't find it anymore. I don't know if I donated it or if I misplaced it or what. 

Well guess what? The buyer left negative feedback. I can't give them the item I no longer have. Do I have any recourse regarding their negative feedback? My selling feedback was impecable and now this. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/132494407394?ViewItem=&item=132494407394

It's always that one time- it's like driving the speed limit; for years you are conscientious and careful, but that one time you speed up for a hill or to get around a slow driver, suddenly there are red lights flashing and you're getting a ticket for speeding. It's not fair. You're a good person, You don't do this, your record is impeccable. The cop is giving you a negative for your mistake. He doesn't know you, he has heard it all before. He is fed up that day, no mercy, just another speeder.

You drive away bummed and angry. It was a mistake, they should know I'm a good person. I never do this. I obey the laws.

You consider appealing, life goes on, the anger turns to disappointment, then to resignation, then to letting go. Important turns to petty, then one morning you wake up and wonder ; I'm 70 years old, where did it go, what did I do?

ON VACATION
GONE FISHING
BACK AT 6
Message 37 of 70
latest reply

Below is my encounters due to my not updating inventory properly:

a) My email message to buyer:

Jan 07, 2018

Dear Mr …..
Please accept my apologies for not able to fulfill this purchase. 
Size XX is unavailable only the YY is left.  
I did not update the quantity in the listing correctly. 

I've cancelled this transaction due to out of stock + you'll received
an email confirming this.  With immediate effect,  the full refund of

$XXX.XX has been refunded to your account.

Thank you for taking the time to read this message.
Sincerely yours,

b) “Great communication although we missed making a sale.”  a postitve fb left by buyer on Jan 07th.

c) Message to same buyer yesterday ...:

Feb 19, 2018

Dear Mr. ….,
While re-organizing the monthly inventory - I stumbled on the size XX that you've purchased early January.

However, due to my inability to locate it - you've graciously agreed to have the transaction cancelled + again generously left me a positive feedback!

I am sending you this XX at no cost to you. Hopefully, you'll still find some use for it, if the project permits, if not, you can always save it for a rainy day.

Sincerely yours,

d) Buyer replied same day:

Feb 19, 2018

Dear Lucas,
That is so kind of you! Project is still in progress at my end, so I can use it. I'll keep an eye out for your items in the future.

True to his words, shortly after that message, the buyer purchased other items totalling more than $100.00. I quickly packaged the new purchases + the previous item safely in one container 

and shipped them out this morning.

Although, this is the 1st time of an OSS, through a long selling history - I'm quite positive my selling account will be dinged due to the OSS cancellation. However, I've gained another repeat customer who trust me enough to do biz with.  As for that gracious positive fb, buyer left even though I cancelled due to OSS - I'm just grateful that my buyer was forgiving/understanding.

So, my take on the OP : @saintpaulgolf,

1)  Do not 'bribe' your buyer with $$$ to revise a neg.

2)  Bite that 'bullet' and moved on

3) Going forward, be more careful with your inventory be it: old or new; re-listings

-

Lucas

*still rollin' with the punches*

Sophie - Sidekick Forever: Apr 2007 to Sep 05, 2017

Message 38 of 70
latest reply

Let me give you a buyers perspective.

I search ebay

Find what I want

Bid/Buy

Pay

If the seller cancels I have to wait 5-8 days before that money shows back up in my Pay Pal account.

So add that to all of the above - I'm not a happy camper and my feedback will reflect it.

I saw that...

~KARMA
Message 39 of 70
latest reply

@saintpaulgolfwrote:

They never gave me an oppurtunity to do anything. There wasn't much I could do (I don't think) but I would have given him $10.00 for his trouble. 

So you wanted to bribe the buyer in to being happy because you cant be bothered to keep track of inventory? smh!

Message 40 of 70
latest reply

@vintagevibes81wrote:

I think it is straight up bologna that people can leave whatever feedback they want as buyers.  I was able to get a negative remark removed on my account.  I reported the buyer's feedback as harrasment, which it was since I refunded him fully for the $2.50 (plus free shipping) - the item arrived broken - and he continued to send assinine email messages to me.  Try that route and see if that works. 

I have had to cancel transacations in the past too becuse of mis-placing stuff.  Use this as a learning experience for next time.  Hooray!

I think its straight uo bologna that sellers can waste buyers time and think its A OK.

Message 41 of 70
latest reply

@saintpaulgolfwrote:

They never gave me an oppurtunity to do anything. There wasn't much I could do (I don't think) but I would have given him $10.00 for his trouble. 

Done that.

But you have to apologize first, cancel second, and then send him something for wasting his time. You can't wait to see how the buyer will react before making the situation right. The apologize and honest explanation is key, that will determine if you get the neg or not. Once you have the neg, you probably won't get rid of it.

Cheers, C.

Message 42 of 70
latest reply

So it's just buyers? I just told you I've had AT LEAST 4 non-paying bidders/auction winners in the last few months. 

Message 43 of 70
latest reply

So have you filed those NPBs against them?

Oh, and chances are that poster is using a posting ID.

Message 44 of 70
latest reply

What's an NPB????

Message 45 of 70
latest reply