cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Here's why we'll never buy ShipCover insurance again....

We recently sold an item to a buyer that was damaged by the carrier in transit. We had purchased ShipCover insurance for the full value of the item to protect both ourselves and the buyer from any losses.

However, when the buyer received the item they opened a return case for "Item not as described" instead of "Damaged in transit".

We explained that there was no need to worry as the item was fully insured and that the proper course of action is to proceed with the insurance claim as not only would they be fully reimbursed but they would likely be able to keep the items as well.

We requested that the buyer upload photos of the package which clearly showed signs of mishandling.

Initially the buyer seemed fine with proceeding with the insurance claim.

However, when we went to file the claim we realized that we had to wait 7 days before we could even initiate the ShipCover claim (the reasoning for this is simply unfathomable). This is contrary to how eBay is marketing the insurance to sellers as it's supposed to streamline and expedite the claims process which couldn't be any further from the truth.

Had we purchased USPS insurance the claims process would have been able to be initiated immediately so they are false advertising the benefits of their own branded insurance.

Despite not being able to file a ShipCover claim until 5/24, the return request required that we take action by 5/20.

We called eBay and their incompetent outsourced staff in the Philippines were not knowledgable about eBay's own branded insurance coverage. We spoke with half a dozen reps who all gave us conflicting information ranging from "On this one, you can just ignore the return request" to "I don't know let me transfer you to my colleague who can further assist you".

So, we tried our best to get the disgruntled buyer to sit and twiddle their thumbs for 7 days. However, on 5/20 when eBay informed them that they were eligible to escalate the claim to customer service, that's exactly what they did.

Within an hour or two eBay had closed the case in the buyers favor and told them to return the damaged items to us at our expense and before we could even bat an eyelash USPS had possession of the items.

We immediately attempted to appeal the decision based on the fact that the buyer used incorrect reasoning for the return request and that they had provided clear evidence of mishandling in transit and that the terms of the insurance policy clearly states that the buyer must hold onto the items in order for the insurance company to investigate the claim.

By telling the buyer to return the items they negated our ability to win the insurance claim.

It's unfathomable that they would sell us their own branded insurance and then deny us the ability to make a claim by requiring us to resolve a return case before we are even eligible to open a claim with the insurance company.

Despite us not being at fault for damaging the items, and despite us purchasing eBay's ShipCover insurance, we could not win a claim and the damaged items were returned to us at our expense and the buyer was fully reimbursed including outbound shipping and we ultimately wound up taking a significant loss which was the direct result of eBay's disorganization.

It's a pretty difficult pill to swallow and at this point it seems that the only recourse is to sue eBay in small claims court for their mishandling of this situation and for selling us insurance that they did not give us an opportunity to redeem.

After 20 years this really seems like the end of the road for us as the level of disorganization at eBay resulting from their outsourced workforce is intolerable and this type of outcome where a seller must unjustly eat the bill for something that should have been rightfully insured is just unacceptable.

Message 1 of 73
latest reply
72 REPLIES 72

Re: Here's why we'll never buy ShipCover insurance again....

I am going to report ebay for fraud over selling the  insurance product that ebay blocked as the buyer stated ebay never sent them the link  to verify the claim and sue ebay for it all if they pull any crap. I am going to submit it to three reporting agencies .   I won’t sell on ebay anymore as they have left the sellers open for huge scams so it’s not worth any money to sell on eBay.  If I sell nothing on another sight , I will have earned more  money than selling on ebay the way the system is rigged .  If a company houses the claims department , payment department , insurance and appeals , that’s called  a rigged system .  And it’s all auto and takes way to long to get the money back causing damage that ebay won’t refund for .  Any bank or PayPal or credit card will always reimburse for damage done that’s their fault .  Not ebay.  They will auto take the money form  bank accounts and it takes at least a month or more to deal with appeals if they fix it at all.  I had to deal with appeals before and what they did was asked for something they knew was impossible to obtain to get my money  back.  It’s all a scam to keep the sellers money.  The LAPD police dept will not write  a report over an ebay transaction as it’s mail fraud but ebay said too bad knowing that it would be impossible for me to get a police report .  And now this time , they sold an insurance  product and according to the buyer , ebay blocked it because they never sent the link for the buyer to verify .  The damage it does to my account is huge .   I have to protect my bank account .   I have a right to protect my bank account .  The buyer  asked me to send the claim number and contact info  for the insurance  company directly to cooperate because they claimed ebay did not send them the link to verify causing the claim to not process  .   Ebay then jumped in and altered the case comment, and all photos the buyer sent and I sent , do not appear in the case anymore on my end and also the comment  of why the case was on hold and then made the case about just a return and closed it  before the claim could process.    Ebay actually interfered with the claim process .  I spoke to ebay in chat and took screenshot photos of it and of course , that’s the conversation ebay didn’t send me the transcripts for.  Ebay is selective to cover their butt .  I know how dirty MPs back office plays because I had to deal with them for 5 weeks in sept / oct 2019 during the MP transition .  It was a nightmare in which they held over 3,000 of sales money for over 5 weeks because they said their system had a glitch .  They used the same excuse on sellers all the way through 2020.  A glitch is temporary and doesn’t go on for 1  1 /2 years .  They blocked my ability to even upload my bank account number on one of my accounts and just sent me  through a loop for 5 weeks .  Back to regarding this case …ebay  said they  sent the buyer a return label after they altered the case documents and it looks like they removed all photos we both sent .   It has disappeared leaving inky comments . After making the case about something else to give ebay the excuse they can force the expensive broken item back into me ,   The tracking label they said they sent to the buyer  does not register that it has even been used and it’s hidden firm me .    I know how dirty the back office is .  They would request documents , the documents would upload , I would  call them and have a rep  verify  the document they received but then I would receive an email saying the document couldn’t be opened .  This went on for 5 weeks …so if the document couldn’t be opened , then how did the rep verify the document?  It’s all a game .   Ebay used to be great years back and then ok until 2019.   I have seen and can verify the dirty game play.  I know to take photos and record anything ebay does in regards to any cases or anything .  Also a few other sellers sent me messages and described the same lies and game play.   I knew ebay would play  dirty so I was taking photos of everything as they happened to capture it all.   I loved they way they wouldn’t transcribe the chat with all the details as I had it pre typed up and just cut and paste it in the chat and  I took photos of it all.  Too funny I received a message from an ebay rep that completely ignored all the facts and changed it to a simple return case and that comment was edited and none of the photos the buyer or I sent is in the case .  They disappeared.  So ebay says they are watching the label and tracking incase the buyer doesn’t cooperate .  It doesn’t  matter as I won’t refund for an expensive item that was broken after rhe fact.  I actually sent photos of the item to the buyers inbox as soon as I saw they had zero transactions and the sale was on “black Friday “. I do not know  the buyer is the scammer or ebay but NO, they don’t get my money and I will sue ebay if I have to .  I have access to attorneys  also, when dealing with the back office , they intentionally don’t put not5e in the file to keep the front office blind is what Sean , a head tram lead if the back office said to me .   I see it again , when they refused to transcribe that chat .  But I have it and took snapshots because I know eBay’s MP back office plays dirty for records . 

Message 61 of 73
latest reply

@disneyqueenpins wrote:

The buyer  asked me to send the claim number and contact info  for the insurance  company directly to cooperate because they claimed ebay did not send them the link to verify causing the claim to not process  .   

Have you talked to the Insurance Company?

https://www.pipinsure.com/shipcovercontacts/

stephenmorgan_0-1639858919274.png

Message 62 of 73
latest reply

No, I had to protect my bank account so the auto system can’t reach into my bank account and I won’t sell anything against the negative balance so ebay can’t take anything from me. I won’t sell nor buy on ebay anymore . I just have to finish processing my taxes for year end .  Ebays auto system does damage and it takes well over a month to fix.   Ebay didn’t refund or reimburse me when they used the excuse there was a glitch in their system that held all sales money for 5 weeks the first time around .  The damage done to my bank account and chain reaction it caused with paying bills, late pay,  OD charges and even Amex closing my account because I could not  show them the balance in my checking account.  I showed them all the money trapped in the ebay MP system  with failed payouts  for 5 weeks but they didn’t care so that damaged my credit score when they closed my account and also, I couldn’t  buy gas for my car and even ran out of money for food all because of ebays MP system and they called it a glitch .  They never reimbursed me for any of that damage. Every other bank, PayPal , credit cards will always reimburse for the damage and a glitch is fixed in a week .    I must protect myself from this re occurring … it does too much damage and harm .  I have enough money to live off of right now and don’t need ebay sales .  The harm would be much greater if I allow ebay to reach to my bank as they have interfered with an insurance claim.  According to the buyer , ebay never sent the buyer the link to verify as per the buyer the other day.  Ebay has interfered and sold me a ship cover product I was blocked from using and jumped ahead of the time frame of the insurance company to alter the case into something else to force the auto system to grab my money from my bank account .    I have to protect it as ebay won’t reimburse for all the damage it causes. 

Message 63 of 73
latest reply

@disneyqueenpins wrote:

I could not care less if I ever sell on eBay again .  

Well that's good because that day comes soon if you go with your plan.

Message 64 of 73
latest reply

In the future, consider using Ship Saver, which is completely independent of ebay.  It is same or lower cost and so much faster and less hassle than USPS or Ship Cover insurance.   Generally seller files the claim and buyer usually only has to provide pictures and sign an affidavit confirming the damage.

Message 65 of 73
latest reply

Well, I took the ebay message of the buyer saying they would cooperate and sent it directly to the insurance company’s email directly going around the entire ebay system and it paid.  It appears the buyer tried to force the refund onto me based on their nasty  feedback but it didn’t work because in messages , they made a comment I could use instead of relying on them to click the verify button.   So live pictures of the item  that I have date and time stamps on was sent to their ebay inbox  within 2 hours of post office acceptance but they wanted  to use the excuse , I sent them the item broken in feedback but behind the seen in ebay  messages they said they would cooperate  .  My god, I have 9,500 items sold record , a 16 year 100% case resolution and this buyer had  zero transactions and wants to report me to the attorney general for being  a scammer  😂 Too funny , I found the person on the internet and was able to match up the address and everything and guess what ?  They prepare insurance  claims for processing in their job description profile .  Lol 😂   Now the buyer is stuck in the ebay system because when I go to refund them, the button to refund buyer has been  blocked off making it impossible for me to refund them on my end so ebay has to do it.  So I call ebay to tell them the insurance paid out and to refund the buyer.   They said they did it but guess what ?  They didn’t .   First customer  service rep said it will show in 24 hours , it didn’t , second customer rep said, the first rep misinformed and it would take 24-48 hours .  That was a lie too.  It didn’t happen.   I don’t give a crap anymore because I won’t buy or sell on eBay after this but at least i got my money back and it will zero out any money owed to ebay so I can close my ebay  account and get away from eBay’s clown show of what they call managed payments and customer service .  I saw the use of willful ignorance from ebay case handlers to alter the case the insurance claim to just a straight return for refund for the buyer to send me back the broken item and force the entire cost onto me but I got the insurance to pay out before the return was marked delivered .  Guess what ?  Ebay supplied the buyer with the wrong return address.    😂  .  Ebay is a clown show circus and they will lie lie lie lie lie over and over or are as dumb as a rock , or use willful ignorance to tweak anything to force the loss and costs onto sellers .   I am done and out of here  for good now .  Now I am just waiting for the refund to clear through as I added a new bank account to push it through after closing my ebay business bank account.  I have had enough with the clown show circus of ebays managed payments and customer service 

Message 66 of 73
latest reply

I just won.    You were wrong .     I bypassed the ebay system and went over it …I used a comment the buyer made and sent it directly to the insurance company via email around eBay.   I guess the copied comment that was sent to me from the buyer was good enough and it processed the claim.  So now i just settle up with ebay separately .   

Message 67 of 73
latest reply

Yes, on the 14th and they just said they were waiting for the buyer to verify the claim and cooperate .   I checked back and the buyer had not cooperated on the 16th so I took a snapshot of the comment the buyer made and went around the entire ebay system and sent the insurance company an email directly with the snapshot of the buyers comment.  The claim processed .   

Message 68 of 73
latest reply

Here is what I discovered.  It appears the ebay system that works with the insurance company makes it near impossible to verify the insurance claim and be paid out for it .  It didn’t used to be that way.  The window time frame of a case doesn’t allow time to even file a claim within the time frame of the case.  The insurance makes the seller wait for 9 days after  delivery.  Delivery confirmed on Nov 22 ( the buyer waited 8 days anyway though  ) and then claim couldn’t be filed until Dec 1 .     If it’s put on hold , the case,  to allow time to process the claim  , what I saw was there appeared to be no case in the system and it even said closed …I have never seen that before .  It was just on hold but on my end , it said there were no cases and case closed.   Well, the insurance company  says that they just use the resolution center to verify the claim, not from the buyer .   Well, if it shows no case exists,  they can’t verify.  If the seller refunds right away , the case closes before the insurance  claim can even be filed and then the claim can’t be verified in the resolution center .  That leaves it up to the buyer , if they feel like it well  after they got their money  back to verify it.   Then I looked at complaints on the BBB website against PIP Insurance.  The directions they give , OMG, the buyer wouldn’t even see or know easily how to go in to their account and do this and that to verify it .  It’s a hassle , why bother.?  However I also saw ebay block  or error  , it’s says PIP page not found and no longer exists when I tried to contact the insurance  website to PIP insurance through eBay system attached to the claim  making it not possible to communicate …so everyone has to jump through hoops .  A buyer isn’t going to go through a nightmare and jump through hoops  after they receive their money back just to verify a claim .  

Message 69 of 73
latest reply

I am glad it worked out for you.

If I need to insure something for more than $100 I use a company that only deals in delivery services. Their shipping prices for domestic mail is pretty much the same  and sometimes cheaper then what Bay sells. Their is a big savings with their Insurance.  I have not had to make a claim so I am not sure how good it is.

Message 70 of 73
latest reply

Glad things worked out

I wouldn't insure anything over $1K with eBay insurance suggestions either. Easy Payoff is very important feature of any insurance company. eBay insurance system is horrific because eBay wants Sellers to be self-insured for benefits to the system. It's easier to deal with packages with out insurance 

All my packages regardless of amount are insured. I pay nominal amount to cover myself for shipping delays, lost, stolen and damaged packages 

So what's the story on Attorney General? Ding, Ding, Ding, this is the tone of any scamming Buyer . They all talk over their heads 

Message 71 of 73
latest reply

Wow, ebay is almost a criminal enterprise at this point. I just ran into a similar problem.

The process *should* - if it's not a criminal enterprise intent on defrauding its customers - operate thusly:

1. Buyer informs seller item arrived damaged.
2. Seller requests photos of box and item
3. Seller initiates claim
4. Claim either allowed or denied
5. Seller refunds buyer

*ANYTHING* straying from this, is designed to screw over a customer.

Message 72 of 73
latest reply

Hi everyone,

Due to the age of this thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread HERE if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thank you for understanding.

Message 73 of 73
latest reply
About this board

Welcome to the Returns board! Here you can discuss returns with other members.

Returns related questions? Whether you're a buyer or a seller, check here to get started: