cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Chat, June 26 @ 1:00 pm PT - General Topics

brian@ebay
eBay Staff (Alumni)

Join the Community team here at 1 PM PT on June 26 for our Weekly Chat with eBay Staff. No set topic for the week, so feel free to share any general buying and selling questions you have. 

The chat will be open for questions from 1-2 pm PT, at which point we'll close it down for additional questions and continue to work on responding to any remaining queries.

If you are new to the chat, welcome! Simply reply to this post with your question after 1 pm and we'll be happy to look into it slight smile

Brian,
Community Team
Message 1 of 85
latest reply
84 REPLIES 84

Re: Community Chat, June 26 @ 1:00 pm PT - General Topics

@dasarock wrote:

RE MANAGED PAYMENTS AND DISPUTES:

could we get additional information on the below questions for clarification?

"Upon the conclusion of a Dispute investigation and/or re-presentment that results in you being found responsible for the chargeback or other disputed amounts, we charge a $20 payments dispute fee"

could we get a definitive definition of all cases re what ebay and managed payments considers a dispute? (current managed payment policy just states "dispute")

also a list of all situations that are involved with "or other disputed amounts..." re managed payments $20 fee application? (are shipping and handling the only items?)

in addition, what procedures, policies and documentation sellers will need to adhere to and present to managed payments in order to be found "not at fault/not penalized" in these cases?

what are the policies, precedures and steps that managed payments will take to "clear" these "disputes" on seller's behalf before charging this fee?

I find very little in written documentation of any of this. the policy as written is very ambiguous.

... from reading the policy as written it is hard to determine if it is after 'any' payment is refunded; only if the seller contests it etc.; or if it is strictly for credit card charge backs. if a return is started in ebay and the seller calls c/s regarding the return being erroneous does this count as 'contesting it'? even if the seller agreed with c/s appeals to let the return/refund proceed and initiated/approved a refund after the call?

Basically, is Managed Payments going to do all it can to prove False Claims and have the seller's back before defaulting to charging the $20 fee? or is this just a money maker?

it would put many sellers at ease re this item if they will try to clear it first with clear policy and guidance to the sellers...

Hi @dasarock, that's a great question! However, detailed questions regarding managed payments are outside of the Community teams scope. If you have been invited to join, or if you are already in managed payments, you will need to call in and speak with a payments expert. That team will be happy to answer questions you may have. Thanks! 

Brian,
Community Team
Message 16 of 85
latest reply

@mam98031 wrote:

brian@ebay wrote:

@stuff4divas wrote:

I get an error when trying to display the link you provided.

got the same error here

Message 17 of 85
latest reply

tyler@ebay wrote:

@jrich137x wrote:

Two weeks ago eBay notified me that I won my appeal and that my money was returned to me.  Never happened.  I made multiple calls to customer service.  I was repeatedly promised I would have my money back in a business day or two or three...  Never happened.  The Appeals supervisor says that she was told my money was returned late last week.  Never happened.

I now realize that withholding my money is a deliberate action by eBay.

My question is: When will eBay return money it admits is mine?

Hi @jrich137x - congrats on winning the appeal! Typically funds from such a decision are available within 2-3 business days. However, there are situations in which they can be delayed. I'll have a closer look at this after the chat and reach out to you with more information. Thanks!

Twice this year (2 out of 2), eBay changed an invoice I sent...once before the buyer received it and once after...both resulting in the buyer being asked to pay more that I had asked them to pay. 

The first time, CS said they would send a coupon to the buyer for the difference. Didn't happen. The sale was never completed, disappointing us both.
The second time, CS sent the invoice again, and it was correct, and the sale was completed. 
Why does this happen?

Message 18 of 85
latest reply

@stuff4divas wrote:

brian@ebay wrote:

@stuff4divas wrote:

Hello. 

Can it be explained how Cassini search engine works? 

Lots of complaints as to which search words to put into the search box. Irrelevant listings show up.

Also that multitudes of Chinese listings pop up even after being filtered out.

And why do some of our eBay listing show up on Google search?

Hi @stuff4divas, while we cannot go into specific detail about search since our algorithm is proprietary, we do have some information here that may be helpful.

Google will display items from across the internet if the listing meets their search criteria. Google ultimately determines what they show in their search engine.

Thank u, but When I click on 'here' I get 'page not found' 😞

OK it is working now, thnx

Message 19 of 85
latest reply

@wondercity3 wrote:
business performance- daily/ weekly/monthly total Sales include taxes which is collected by ebay ,this make the total sales, and % generated incorrectly.it will be nice if they don't include the taxes in the total, so we now how we are doing.
another thing, we need the shipping total back in the orders main view page

Hi @wondercity3 - great suggestion! You're right, the downloadable report does give you purchase price, seller/eBay collected taxes, shipping, and totals, but no subtotal less taxes. I can't make promises, but I'm happy to suggest it as a future enhancement!

I've looked into this one and the Seller Hub team has confirmed that shipping total was removed as a column. There are not currently plans to add it back. You can get those details within the individual sales or order record. Thanks! 

Tyler,
eBay
Message 20 of 85
latest reply

tyler@ebay wrote:

Welcome everyone - the chat is now open for your questions!

I am following up from the previous two weekly chats on the sponsored (promoted) listings that show up in my search results that have nothing to do with my search parameters. The problem remains.

Is there any update or progress being made on this? I know it was forwarded to the appropriate team via Brain T. on 6-12-2019.

Thanks!

Message 21 of 85
latest reply

brian@ebay wrote:

@dasarock wrote:

RE MANAGED PAYMENTS AND DISPUTES:

Hi @dasarock, that's a great question! However, detailed questions regarding managed payments are outside of the Community teams scope. If you have been invited to join, or if you are already in managed payments, you will need to call in and speak with a payments expert. That team will be happy to answer questions you may have. Thanks! 

brian@ebay 

it is things like this that will be the 'straw that broke the camel's back' regarding many issues and questions re managed payments.  many many seller's will use these and similar situations/question/black holes that surround "management payments" in ambiguous fog and leave ebay for good.  this is the type information that managed payments should be provided 'pre-transition' to sellers so they can make INFORMED DECISIONS re managed payments and continuing with ebay.  in the long run all i can see this 'close hold ambiguity' of information doing is hurting ebay.  😞

thank you tho...

Message 22 of 85
latest reply

Selling Manager and Selling Manager Pro...how much longer will we have them?
Message 23 of 85
latest reply

@mam98031 wrote:

brian@ebay wrote:

@stuff4divas wrote:

Hello. 

Lots of complaints as to which search words to put into the search box. Irrelevant listings show up.

Hi @stuff4divas, while we cannot go into specific detail about search since our algorithm is proprietary, we do have some information here that may be helpful.

Google will display items from across the internet if the listing meets their search criteria. Google ultimately determines what they show in their search engine.

Thanks @stuff4divas & @mam98031! It should be working now. 

Brian,
Community Team
Message 24 of 85
latest reply

@mam98031 wrote:

A little clarification please. 

In the Spring Seller Update we had a new Seller Protection policy announced.  It stated:

New abusive buyer protections and reporting feature update

We're implementing stronger measures against buyers who don't follow eBay's abusive buyer policy. We're introducing new measures to proactively find abusive buyers, prevent them from filing return requests, and in some cases suspend them. When we find that a buyer violated the policy, we will remove any feedback and defects, including opened cases in service metrics.

We've also made it easier for you to report buyers who violate eBay policies. Now when you report a buyer, you can more clearly describe what the buyer is doing to help us investigate potential policy violations and take actions to protect you.

On the surface this sounds terrific.  Having the vehicle to report a buyer for what we perceive as an abusive use of the return process is fantastic.  That with the ability that if Ebay finds that the buyer has been abusive in the use of the policy the seller can get their ding in the Service Metrics and any related FB removed.  Sounds great.

But it appears in application it isn’t quite that way.  From what I’m gathering, it really isn’t on a case by case basis.  A seller reporting a buyer may have that single transaction deemed by Ebay as abusive, but the Service Metric ding and FB [if any] won’t be removed unless Ebay deems the buyer as abusive.  The two NOT being the same thing. 

For Ebay to determine that the buyer is abusive, it takes a few [unknown quantity, which is understandable] reports founded to be true before Ebay takes this action.  So a seller in a bad situation is going to have to wait and hope other sellers report the buyer for similar issues in the hopes of getting the ding removed from the Service Metrics and any FB to be removed. 

This process could take months.  In the meantime the seller’s stats could be in trouble.  This could be the ONE SNAD that puts them over the edge for the Service Metrics penalty.  To later have it removed when enough evidence by multiple sellers is submitted to Ebay for you to rule the buyer as abusive.  Then the ding is removed from the seller, but only AFTER the seller has been in the penalty box for a given period of time and paid the additional fees and reduced visibility of their listings.

I do understand that Ebay should never deem any member, buyer or seller as abusive due to one member’s report.  I get that and firmly agree with that.  But if a seller actually has any new protection under this new rule, it is escaping me at this moment.  Please advise.

https://pages.ebay.com/seller-center/seller-updates/2019-spring/seller-protections.html

Hi @mam98031 - your interpretation of the policies are correct as I understand them. I'm currently working with @coffeebean832 on a similar issue and trying to get additional information. Until such time as I hear differently, that's my understanding.  

Tyler,
eBay
Message 25 of 85
latest reply

@mendelsons wrote:

Tyler

Was hoping to get an update on the problems I've been communicating with the community team for some time now on the shipping options being hidden in the mobile app and the shipping discount problems on the checkout page.  Any updates on either one of these ?

Thanks,

Rick Carpenter

MENDELSONS

Hi @mendelsons - we've passed your feedback on to the shipping team but have yet to hear back on it. Thanks!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 26 of 85
latest reply

@mam98031 wrote:

A little clarification please. 

In the Spring Seller Update we had a new Seller Protection policy announced.  It stated:

New abusive buyer protections and reporting feature update

We're implementing stronger measures against buyers who don't follow eBay's abusive buyer policy. We're introducing new measures to proactively find abusive buyers, prevent them from filing return requests, and in some cases suspend them. When we find that a buyer violated the policy, we will remove any feedback and defects, including opened cases in service metrics.

We've also made it easier for you to report buyers who violate eBay policies. Now when you report a buyer, you can more clearly describe what the buyer is doing to help us investigate potential policy violations and take actions to protect you.

On the surface this sounds terrific.  Having the vehicle to report a buyer for what we perceive as an abusive use of the return process is fantastic.  That with the ability that if Ebay finds that the buyer has been abusive in the use of the policy the seller can get their ding in the Service Metrics and any related FB removed.  Sounds great.

But it appears in application it isn’t quite that way.  From what I’m gathering, it really isn’t on a case by case basis.  A seller reporting a buyer may have that single transaction deemed by Ebay as abusive, but the Service Metric ding and FB [if any] won’t be removed unless Ebay deems the buyer as abusive.  The two NOT being the same thing. 

For Ebay to determine that the buyer is abusive, it takes a few [unknown quantity, which is understandable] reports founded to be true before Ebay takes this action.  So a seller in a bad situation is going to have to wait and hope other sellers report the buyer for similar issues in the hopes of getting the ding removed from the Service Metrics and any FB to be removed. 

This process could take months.  In the meantime the seller’s stats could be in trouble.  This could be the ONE SNAD that puts them over the edge for the Service Metrics penalty.  To later have it removed when enough evidence by multiple sellers is submitted to Ebay for you to rule the buyer as abusive.  Then the ding is removed from the seller, but only AFTER the seller has been in the penalty box for a given period of time and paid the additional fees and reduced visibility of their listings.

I do understand that Ebay should never deem any member, buyer or seller as abusive due to one member’s report.  I get that and firmly agree with that.  But if a seller actually has any new protection under this new rule, it is escaping me at this moment.  Please advise.

https://pages.ebay.com/seller-center/seller-updates/2019-spring/seller-protections.html

It was explained to me either in a different weekly chat or board discussion that once deemed abusive - Ebay will not go back and correct any sellers accts that were previously affected by this abusive buyer. Those defects, negs ect are there to stay - just as the false SNADs even though a case was decided in your favor.

Message 27 of 85
latest reply

Why should Ebay not have to make the change when we were forced to

tyler@ebay wrote:

@papermoneyforme wrote:

tyler@ebay wrote:

Welcome everyone - the chat is now open for your questions!

Many moons ago, Canadian sellers were forced to list in Canadian dollars.

When can we expect are sales reports plus to be in Canadian dollars to use the same currency we were forced to list in.

It is seriously overdue and time it was fixed for Canadians.

Hi @papermoneyforme - I hear you on this. 

There is no current plan I am aware of to make this change.

Why should Ebay not be forced to make this change just as we were.

Maybe take it up with Andrea in your discussions next month.

Message 28 of 85
latest reply

Hi @vrykalak I am not familiar with what code would be added to listings, so I'll have to look into that.

Are you using a template, or pasting HTML from another program?

I did find this thread which may help: https://community.ebay.com/t5/Archive-Selling/HTML-and-CSS-in-Article-Description/td-p/26470615

@vrykalak wrote:

ebay adding ugly code. Lots of DIV and SPAN and elaborate formatting added to simple "<b>" and "<p>"tags.
(e.g., "<b>" becomes "<b style="color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: Arial, Helvetica, &quot;Sans Serif&quot;; font-size: medium; font-style: normal; font-variant-ligatures: normal; font-variant-caps: normal; letter-spacing: normal; orphans: 2; text-align: -webkit-center; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; white-space: normal; widows: 2; word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; background-color: rgb(173, 216, 230); text-decoration-style: initial; text-decoration-color: initial;"><font color="black" size="-1" face="Arial, Helvetica, Sans Serif">")

If I try to update something in a Description, I either have to remove all the extraneous stuff manually, or I have to go back to my original file, update it there, and then copy the update up to the listing page...where it is clean when I put it there, but becomes ugly when posted.

I wish I had a flag to tell eBay not to monkey with my code.

Message 29 of 85
latest reply

brian@ebay wrote:

@mam98031 wrote:

brian@ebay wrote:

@stuff4divas wrote:

Hello. 

Thanks @stuff4divas & @mam98031! It should be working now. 

For me, I still get this.

01.JPG

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 30 of 85
latest reply
About this Board

Welcome to the Retired Monthly Chat with eBay Staff board! This board contains past chats with eBay Community team members along with eBay product teams.

For eBay news and information see:

Consider posting on one of these boards for input from fellow eBay members: