cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Item descriptions not showing up in app for many people's items

There's no description available whatsoever for items even though they're available on the website.

The description part just doesn't appear anywhere to click on to read the description.

Only one item I've viewed so far out of 25 or so from all different sellers has had a description.

Some examples:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/155036439525

https://www.ebay.com/itm/175348400595

https://www.ebay.com/itm/374024934506

https://www.ebay.com/itm/313972523561

Message 1 of 46
latest reply
45 REPLIES 45

Re: Item descriptions not showing up in app for many people's items

If that is the actual error message you are seeing, then one of those pages is directing you to www.ebay which is not a valid domain. If you can figure out which page has the bad address, you may be able to manually change the page address yourself -- but it sounds like an issue eBay will have to fix, ultimately. Unless you are using an old link and there is a newer link that works better that you can use instead.

Message 31 of 46
latest reply

I’m having the same issue on iPhone / iPad. App update was released 2 days ago, but this obviously didn’t fix it. Just reported it to eBay customer service, but they didn’t acknowledge it was a common problem - I was told the problem with MY account would be reported (and that they logged on via the web and it worked just fine). 

This is a HUGE issue. How many people are shopping via the app and not realizing that the item description is there and that this is just an error (and subsequently not buying or bidding because of lack of  info on listed product). I actually ordered something off Amazon last night  as the item I was looking for was on eBay, but I couldn’t verify the condition in description of eBay listing. Didn’t realize at the time that the eBay app was the problem (only realized today after looking at my listing and about 50 others that had no item description).

eBay needs to acknowledge this problem and send out an email notifying the community asap. Wondering how many millions in sales they have lost. I would not be happy right now if I was a shareholder. 

Message 32 of 46
latest reply

Hours? Try days. It’s August 8th and still no fix. Time to short eBay stock - quarterly earrings report that include July / August sales results are going to be a big disappointment. 

Message 33 of 46
latest reply

Been having the same problem. Customer support will tell you this isn't happening yet the complaints are all over the Internet once again. Support makes it up as they go if they don't have the answers. 300 and some items and not one is selling something is wrong with the search engine and algorithms again..

Message 34 of 46
latest reply

You can't even find the item half the time. Very poor Management on the part of eBay.

Message 35 of 46
latest reply

I started having this problem yesterday Jan 18 2024 ! Why is it so difficult to fix have not had this issue before, I cancelled many saved listings that I wanted to purchase, and when you send a question to the sellers they don’t understand! Just tells me to find it in the listing!!

Message 36 of 46
latest reply

@lillamakaron 

I still see item descriptions using the eBay app.

Are you able to see item descriptions using a browser?

Make sure you have the latest version of the eBay app. What version do you have now?

Message 37 of 46
latest reply

I am on the regular website on my apple mini….and am all updated…it’s been working fine until yday….hopefully ebay is taking care of this issue

Message 38 of 46
latest reply

Which browsers have you tried?

Message 39 of 46
latest reply

I have tried it on Windows and iOS.  Some descriptions show up, some don't.  I have looked at my listings, and other people's listings.  Was thinking about calling, but I am sure it is just a waste of time.

EBAY, you have a problem!

Message 40 of 46
latest reply

@super-genius! 

Can you provide a couple of examples of listings that do not show descriptions?

Message 41 of 46
latest reply

Here is what I see:

supergenius_0-1705782321945.jpeg

Message 43 of 46
latest reply

I see (brief) descriptions for those items when using Firefox (version 121.0 and Firefox Developer Edition 122.0b8), and Microsoft Edge version 120.0.2210.144 (Official build) (64-bit), and Chrome version 120.0.6099.225 (Official Build) (64-bit). This is on a Windows 10 machine.

Description also shows using the latest Android version of the eBay app when using the "See full description" link.

Item description from the seller

This is an original Atari OEM replacement part (NOS).  It fits on the Atari 2600, Atari 2600A, and Sears Atari 2600.

-=-=-=-=-

Item description from the seller

Here is a very high quality black battery boot. It is for wire sizes 2 gauge through 2/0. Covering your battery ring terminal connections is ALWAYS a good idea. You never know when something metal will inadvertently fall and short out a battery!

Shipping is $4.75 for ANY quantity of boots you buy, no matter what color or size.

Message 44 of 46
latest reply

Someone (eBay programmer) added some crazy, inept code to the description part of the listing.

Do this.  For listing where the description does not show, click to edit the listing.  Go to the description part, copy and paste the entire description to a text editor.  Erase the description you have on the listing.  Then, copy the description you pasted to the text editor.  Paste it back in the description box on the eBay listing.  Save the revised listing.  The description will now show up.  This may be more difficult for people who use html tags.

Message 45 of 46
latest reply