cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Who else thinks managed payments are awful? Why do we need to wait so long for our money?

Just lie the title says..............

Who else is massively disappointed by the managed payments way of doing things?

I recently was asked to register and set up for new managed payments on my seller account. After a few sales I can say that I am so unhappy with the way that ebay have implemented this. 

Why do we have to wait so long for the money to clear? What exactly is going on here. It's pretty outrageous. 4 days to be sent to the bank, and then more days for it to clear in the bank, as opposed to the immediate clearance under the old system when it was payed into paypal. I want my money straight away. It's enough that ebay wants to take over the odds for their charges. I can just about live with that, but to delay the payout, undoubtedly making something from MY money in the process is just outrageous.

The customer service and the ability to talk to a human if anything goes wrong, which it has on a few occasions, just adds insult to injury.

Something needs to be done. 

I'm seriously thinking of leaving ebay and finding another way to sell online. It's an unfair and unjust system in place now, and I don't think people should put up with it. Whoever thought this up needs to be sacked. It's just plain wrong.

Message 1 of 71
latest reply
70 REPLIES 70

Re: Who else thinks managed payments are awful? Why do we need to wait so long for our money?

Do you think the grocery store or gas station gets paid instantly when you use a credit/debit card?

They have to wait to receive the funds, just like we do.

Go ahead, compare multi-million dollar retailers to small sellers on eBay.  Your point is?

Message 16 of 71
latest reply

Re: Who else thinks managed payments are awful? Why do we need to wait so long for our money?

MP is fine with me. The so called waiting for funds is also a non issue for me.

In the old days, payment would be by mail which would arrive 2-10 days after auction ended depending on the mail and customer.

Then you would wait 3-5 days for check to clear the BANK (like now) and then ship. 

The so called immediate clearance was nice but the truth of the matter is I am still 100% responsible for all my transactions.

For me, it was just getting use to it. Took a week or two and all is well. It was not an issue. It was like moving to a new house and the bathrooms in a different place.

You can set up your payouts, so set it up to the seller when paid. There are some issues to work out there like payouts on holiday's etc, but that's an issue for another board. Once you go through the 1st cycle money keep coming in if you sell consistently. 

I too have issues with eBay but not MP, least of my concerns. Fee's on shipping, not protecting sellers on transactions, to much risk in selling high end items, sellers being held accountable for poor shipping performance that's out of our control etc....and more...

Good luck

Message 17 of 71
latest reply

@kensgiftshop wrote:

@drezzdrezzler wrote:

I disagree. When you sell, you should be payed, and it should go through immediately. Anything less, or any delay is inferior to the old system. To have to wait is just not acceptable in 2021. Instant transfer is what we need. The technology exists. This is the age of instant transfer, the fact that it takes days is just ridiculous, and it's obvious that's somehow working out in ebay's favour and not the sellers.

Do you think the grocery store or gas station gets paid instantly when you use a credit/debit card?

Grocery stores and gas stations can take cash, personal checks and USPS money orders if they so desire.  Should eBay allow sellers to accept the same forms of payment gas stations and grocery stores do?

Message 18 of 71
latest reply

There really is no earthly reason why it should take any more time for the money they send you to reach your account than it takes for you to send them money out of the account, which is instant.   Even Paypal was one business day.  Why eBay's processor takes so long?  Who knows. 

Outside of that it's no different than PayPal was, aside absolutely zero pushback on chargebacks, which you used to sometimes be able to successfully defend with PayPal. 

Message 19 of 71
latest reply

That would be a Yes, I used to love seeing bundles of checks & MOs come in every day

Unfortunately, that will never happen

Message 20 of 71
latest reply

Grocery stores and gas stations can take cash, personal checks and USPS money orders if they so desire. Should eBay allow sellers to accept the same forms of payment gas stations and grocery stores do?

Of course not. eBay wants it to be electronic so that they can mess around with it.

Message 21 of 71
latest reply

@kensgiftshop wrote:

@drezzdrezzler wrote:

I disagree. When you sell, you should be payed, and it should go through immediately. Anything less, or any delay is inferior to the old system. To have to wait is just not acceptable in 2021. Instant transfer is what we need. The technology exists. This is the age of instant transfer, the fact that it takes days is just ridiculous, and it's obvious that's somehow working out in ebay's favour and not the sellers.

This is a very weak argument. It doesn't matter how grocery stores or gas stations are paid. With PayPal, sellers were paid instantly. With the new MP, it takes days to even weeks to get paid. The point is that this is NOT an improvement, but a giant step backwards. To make your analogy equivalent, we would have to make credit card companies wait days or weeks LONGER than they do now to receive their money. Do you think the credit card companies will be OK with that? 

Message 22 of 71
latest reply

I don't understand.  Through MP my payments clear in 1-2 days.  If I sell something over the weekend, payment usually clears on Monday.  Granted it's not like PayPal but not really anything to complain about.

Message 23 of 71
latest reply

Actually, with MP you have MORE options. MP allows buyers to use more payment types than PP did.

FWIW, I've been in MP since November 2020 and haven't had a problem. Started out they sent payouts daily. Nope, not for me. I switched to weekly (every Tuesday), works great. I got notice this morning that my payout was sent, the money is in my account NOW (Tuesday afternoon).

As for shipping money, you have to change the payment option on the purchase label page.

Adapt, adjust, deal. 

Message 24 of 71
latest reply

I've had PP take 3 to 5 business days to transfer to my bank account however, I do have the PP debit card which I could use instead.  

In OPs case, I think it's their bank and not MP/Adyen that takes all that time mentioned. (banks work on their own timeline). I have same day deposit to my credit union account.

Message 25 of 71
latest reply

@dugoldstuff wrote:

Go ahead, compare multi-million dollar retailers to small sellers on eBay.  Your point is?

My point is, we don't get paid instantly and we can either deal with it or move on.

No, not all grocery stores or gas stations are multi-million dollar companies, they are just like us, trying to make a living.

Have a great day
Message 26 of 71
latest reply

@skatefool wrote:

@kensgiftshop wrote:

@drezzdrezzler wrote:

Grocery stores and gas stations can take cash, personal checks and USPS money orders if they so desire.  Should eBay allow sellers to accept the same forms of payment gas stations and grocery stores do?

That's up to Ebay to decide what forms of payment they accept on their site.

If you don't like MP, why would you want to take personal checks and money orders?

You wait a week to receive the check/money order, then another week hoping they don't bounce.

Have a great day
Message 27 of 71
latest reply

I totally agree.  It seems they have figured out every way in the world to screw the sellers.  The ones who have made them who they are and this is the thanks we get.  It is so unfair.  Seems like they must of sold paypal and now have to find another way to get that percentage back that paypal charges.  If you sell items that are low cost by the time you pay basically 15% on the item you sold including the postage and then the actual cost of the postage, you are making nothing and working like crazy for nothing.  Not only that but now you have to wait for days to get that nothing.  Oh and let's not forget the danger of them having your bank account.  That scars me.  I hate ebay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  If I could find another forum for sales I would go in an instant!!

Message 28 of 71
latest reply

@team_akira wrote:

@kensgiftshop wrote:

@drezzdrezzler wrote:

This is a very weak argument. It doesn't matter how grocery stores or gas stations are paid. With PayPal, sellers were paid instantly. With the new MP, it takes days to even weeks to get paid. The point is that this is NOT an improvement, but a giant step backwards. To make your analogy equivalent, we would have to make credit card companies wait days or weeks LONGER than they do now to receive their money. Do you think the credit card companies will be OK with that? 

When a buyer would pay using a credit/debit card, do you think Pay Pal received the funds instantly, no they did not, they had to wait to receive the funds also.

The reason they gave us instant access to the funds is because they knew the buyers payment was good and they would be receiving the funds from the buyer in a few days.

Paying your credit card bill and using a credit card to pay is completely different.

If you paid your credit card bill using a debit card, they wouldn't receive the payment instantly, the payment has to be processed before they receive the funds.

Have a great day
Message 29 of 71
latest reply

@kensgiftshop wrote:

*snip*

When a buyer would pay using a credit/debit card, do you think Pay Pal received the funds instantly, no they did not, they had to wait to receive the funds also.

The reason they gave us instant access to the funds is because they knew the buyers payment was good and they would be receiving the funds from the buyer in a few days.

Fascinating...   somehow PayPal knows - but MP doesn't ?

Message 30 of 71
latest reply