cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is anyone actually HAPPY with Managed Payments? Or is it a waste of time selling here?

buckleup2015
Adventurer

Hi all,

I was thinking of getting back into selling for the holiday season, to get rid of the last remaining of our inventory. I stopped selling on Ebay just as they forced MP.
Since I haven't sold in a while, I'm certain that funds will be held for 21 days or whatever the rule of the day is, for new/returning sellers. I have some questions:
1. Do Ebay/MP fees come out of the sales total, or do they debit your checking account when funds are on hold?(ie: Amazon/Etsy will debit all fees and shipping costs from your sales proceeds, only debiting a checking account when there isn't enough to cover)
2. Can you use any of the held funds for shipping costs, or are funds completely held with no way to access them? 

3. Does anyone sell on Ebay now with MP that actually LIKES Adyen? 

I'd like to avoid overdrafts and other nonsense in the checking. Just trying to gauge whether it's worth it or not.

Thanks

**This is my posting id**
Message 1 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

Is anyone actually HAPPY with Managed Payments? Or is it a waste of time selling here?

There are plenty of people that will give MP high laurels, cheers, and praise.....and there are plenty of people that find it cumbersome, a tad more difficult to use that the old PP days....and finally there are some folks that think it is a program that is equivalent to an alien invasion from Mars.   

All depends on who you talk with.   

Message 2 of 12
latest reply

No problems, but then I'm used to managed payments on other sites - eBay's is kind of a late comer to this, most really busy sites already use it.

1. Do Ebay/MP fees come out of the sales total, or do they debit your checking account when funds are on hold?  Basically, fees come out of the sales.

2. Can you use any of the held funds for shipping costs, or are funds completely held with no way to access them?  You can ship from either pending payments or Paypal - it's up to you.  Pending payments are those which have been approved by the payment source.

3. Does anyone sell on Ebay now with MP that actually LIKES Adyen?  As I say, no problems, but Adyen is the back-end for the other three sites I sell on, and I REALLY like not having that big fees bill at the end of the month. 

Managed Payments 

When you dine with leopards, it is wise to check the menu lest you find yourself as the main course.

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 3 of 12
latest reply

Please read through these links as they will really help you better understand MP.  After you study these, come on back and ask all the questions you may still have.

Yes there are millions of sellers that are happy with MP.  Ebay has onboarded about 80% of sellers worldwide now and most all of the US sellers are in the program.  While you can't make everyone happy ever with any kind of change to this magnitude, there are plenty of them out there.

The following links are very informative and easy to read. Lots of great information in these articles that contain information you should be aware of. After you read them you will likely have questions. Come on back and ask whatever you need to.

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Payments-Resources/How-does-the-updated-eBay-payments-experience-work-...

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Payments-Resources/Have-questions-about-payments-Check-out-this-post-f...

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Payments-Resources/Infographic-How-payouts-work-when-eBay-manages-paym...

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Payment-Resources/Changes-to-the-eBay-invoicing-process/ba-p/32004201

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Payment-Resources/Know-your-options-to-pay-eBay-fees-and-selling-costs...

By the way it is important to note that Ebay has been busy with the onboarding of 19 million sellers this year.  So next year we are likely to see some enhancements.  Hopefully ones we like.  There is lots of room for improvement in MP.  Lots of things need to grow and improve.  It my no means is perfect or even near it.  But you can adapt.  I personally do Weekly Deposits and that has served me very well.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 4 of 12
latest reply

Hard to know. I switched over to MP in May-things I don’t like are that the payment times can take up to 5 days. Any extra listings over 250 get debited as a minus and when you sell something those fees come out of any money you have in there instantly. You do not have access to those funds-they are controlled by eBay. They decide when to process payments etc..

I’m giving it 6 months to decide.

im hoping holidays will improve sales-right now they are just so so

Message 5 of 12
latest reply

I have no complaints with MP / Adyen.

I set up a checking account specifically for MP. 

I set up to get deposits weekly and except holiday weeks, deposits are sent on Tuesday and Wednesday they are in my account. 

Different banks deposits can take longer but my credit union is 1 day.

I really expected with all the complaints, teeth gnashing, and clothes tearing on the boards for it to be just awful but it was just different and manageable.

klhmdg  •  Volunteer Community Mentor
Message 6 of 12
latest reply

I use MP and can still make a buck.

That is the bottom line.

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

LOVE IT!

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

Thanks for the loud, genuine, laff!!!!!!!!!!!!!  That was great and NAILED it! 

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

There's only one big thing going on that you should know and that's: there is a common scam being done:  For the Buyer buys, pays, you send, they claim a charge back with their credit card company  (Item not received/Damaged) and AUTOMATICALLY gets both the item and the money. Sellers have near-zero voice.  If you fight it, you, the seller, loses and are charged an additional $20.00.  The numbers are quickly rising due to the ease and success of this scam.  It's totally legal.  If your category is immune to it, you're fine and good to go.  If you're high-end or anything tech, give it a thought (or raise prices to compensate).  Just for the record, I sell someplace else that uses Adyen and it's smooooth sailing!  I may come back to selling (I miss it) if/when things improve here.  

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

Anything over 250 is debited as a minus:  How much?  I assume it's as 'each'?  I didn't know that!  Thanks`` great post/answer.

Message 11 of 12
latest reply

@gail5176 wrote:

Hard to know. I switched over to MP in May-things I don’t like are that the payment times can take up to 5 days. Any extra listings over 250 get debited as a minus and when you sell something those fees come out of any money you have in there instantly. You do not have access to those funds-they are controlled by eBay. They decide when to process payments etc..

I’m giving it 6 months to decide.

im hoping holidays will improve sales-right now they are just so so

No, the payment source is what 'decides' when to process payments, and they process them upon approval.  And, fees should be paid when they're incurred - eBay was letting people ride like crazy lagging on fee payments for 30 days.  I sell on no other site that lets me just let my obligations to them go for a month.  After selling on multiple sites for years I can say that eBay sellers were the most coddled when it comes to payment processing (other stuff, not so much, but payments, yes).

When you dine with leopards, it is wise to check the menu lest you find yourself as the main course.

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 12 of 12
latest reply