cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Have questions about payments? Check out this post for helpful information

We’ve compiled a list of FAQs, links and resources for sellers who are or will be enrolled in payments. 

Frequently Asked Questions:
Why do you need my SSN, EIN or TIN? 

Before sending payouts, eBay requires sellers to provide their social security number to verify their identity and comply with government regulations that help keep eBay a trusted marketplace. We require only the last 4 digits of the SSN to register, though we may ask for the full social security number later, if required for tax compliance. 

These details are required by most online marketplaces and payment providers that manage funds for users. 

Is the information I provide secure?

Earning and keeping your trust is our priority. eBay protects your personal data through safeguards such as physical access restrictions for our data centers, and using encryption when transmitting and storing sensitive information (such as bank account numbers and credit card details), and firewalls to prevent intruders from accessing our internal systems.

I already gave my SSN/EIN/TIN to PayPal, why do you need it again?

eBay and PayPal have been separate companies since 2015 which is why sellers must update their information on eBay, even if they had already provided this information to Paypal in the past.

Why does it take 1-2 days to clear money?

We aim to pay you as quickly as possible, but are dependent on the credit card brands and banks for payout processing and timely funds settlement. 

Does ebay earn interest on our money?

No - eBay does not earn interest on pending payments, payments scheduled for payout or payments that are in the process of being paid out. Payouts for eBay transactions are initiated to sellers’ bank accounts within 2 business days (Monday to Friday, excluding bank holidays), unless the seller requests weekly payouts. 

How can I change shipping labels to pay with my pending payouts?

You can choose how to cover the cost of shipping labels when fulfilling buyer orders. When you are on the eBay Labels screen, look for the Select how to pay section located below Additional options. You can then choose the option to pay with your processing and available funds or PayPal. After changing this option, eBay will default to the choice unless it is changed back to PayPal.

Payments 1.jpg

What are common reasons for needing further verification on your MP account?

Below are some of the reasons we see verification failures. We recommend checking the following: 

1. Make sure your birth date is correct when you register for an eBay account.
  2. Your registration address on eBay cannot be a P.O. box, it needs to be a physical address.
  3. Your registered name on eBay must perfectly match your bank account information. This includes your middle name or initial (if present on your bank account). 
  4. Verify your bank routing number and account number before entering it.  Review it carefully on the screen before submitting it.  If you need to correct your routing number or your bank account number, clear the field first, then re-enter the numbers. 
  5. Verify that your SSN, EIN or TIN is correct.

If you continue to encounter an error or issue with verification after these steps please consider requesting a call back from a payments-trained teammate so they can assist you further.

How do I contact a payments-trained teammate?

You are able to request help from a payments-trained teammate by selecting a callback or chat option from the ‘Need more help?’ section of most managed payment Help pages (see next section for quick links). You can also use the ‘Help’ section of the Payments tab of your Seller Hub to request a call. 

Clicking the phone icon will allow you to request a call back. The question mark will display FAQs.Clicking the phone icon will allow you to request a call back. The question mark will display FAQs.

Please know that based on time of day and the current volume of requests, contact options may vary or be unavailable. 

Useful links and additional resources:

Help pages for Managed Payments Topics:

Introducing managed payments on eBay

Submitting or updating your information for managed payments

How payouts work for managed payments sellers

Updating your listings for managed payments

Refunding buyers as a managed payments seller

Payments on hold as a managed payments seller

Selling fees for managed payments sellers

Selling fees for managed payments sellers who have a store subscription

eBay for Charity and Managed Payments

Video Resources:

Managed Payments Overview

Linking your checking account during managed payments registration

Why was I asked to verify my existing details?

Where can I find my fee details when eBay manages payments?

As a managed payments seller, what should I do if a buyer disputes a payment?

Are refunds supported when eBay manages payments? Yes!

For account specific Payments support please request contact from a payments-trained teammate by accessing any of the Help Pages related to payments and using the 'Have us call you' feature at the bottom of the page
Message 1 of 1
latest reply
0 REPLIES 0