cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to stop the automatic payment method for buyers

I am a buyer I have bought 300+ items on ebay in the last 3 years but yesterday August 5 at 4:53pm I was put in this stupid test by ebay of the sample buyers what have to have a automatic payment method to make a offer or bid on anything and if I win a bid I am automatically charged this is unethical really my cc card on file for ebay purchases I allways use to pay for my purchases should not be charged this is bul*sh** and wrong 

I allways pay on time in less then 2 days 

Is there anyway I can opt out of this test group of buyers 

And another thing with the automatic payment method I CANNOT combine shipping if I buy more than 1 item from a seller so if I buy more than 1 item from the same seller I pay a da*n boatload extra for shipping 

This automatic payment method is the stupidest thing I have ever heard and seen 

And ebay never even mentioned this to buyers , or sellers most people don't even know about it this is a scam/shaddy as hel* business practices 

This a lawsuit waiting to happen people 

I went to ebay chat online and I talked to a ebay representative and she told the only way to get rid of this is to ask the seller I want to buy from to turn it off on there seller account or put me on an exception list from there seller account 

She also told me if thay won't then every offer or bid or bid and win a item I will be automatically charged method 

Does anybody else have this problem or just me can somebody advise or help me please 

And PS: I am only a buyer I have never sold on ebay 

Message 1 of 70
latest reply
69 REPLIES 69

Re: How to stop the automatic payment method for buyers

Looks like this issue has been rescinded, I have noticed recently that I can now bid without being asked for a payment method....YAY.

Message 46 of 70
latest reply

With the automatic payment method ebay will not let me use a ebay gift card 

Message 47 of 70
latest reply

And with the automatic payment method I CANNOT COMBINE SHIPPING OR USE A EBAY GIFT CARD 

Message 48 of 70
latest reply

I always pay promptly. When they forced the auto pay upon me; I was asked what method to use for the payment. I selected PayPal. However; the amount is directly withdrawn from my financial institution. Not thru PayPal as instructed. I have an untarnished history. I do not desire to have a direct withdrawal, therefore I have been forced to stop utilizing the offer feature. Resulting in my making fewer purchases than desired.

Message 49 of 70
latest reply

They did this to me March or April they put the automatic payment method me I won't make any offers now 

And I can't bid or buy with out automatically being charged 

It is wrong because I am not doing it I am automatically charged so now you CANNOT COMBINE SHIPPING ANYMORE WHICH I DON'T LIKE I USED TO BUT ALOT AND COMBINE SHIPPING NOT NOW WITH THE AUTOMATIC PAYMENY METHOD IT CANNOT BE DONE 

AND YOU CANT EVEN TURN OFF THE AUTOMATIC PAYMENY METHOD/FEATURE IT SUCKS

LOTS OF PEOPLE WILL BE OISSED LIKE ME AND MAYBE EVEN LEAVE EBAY IVER THIS CRAP  

Message 50 of 70
latest reply

@jonajoh_1862 wrote:

They did this to me March or April they put the automatic payment method me I won't make any offers now 

And I can't bid or buy with out automatically being charged 

It is wrong because I am not doing it I am automatically charged so now you CANNOT COMBINE SHIPPING ANYMORE WHICH I DON'T LIKE I USED TO BUT ALOT AND COMBINE SHIPPING NOT NOW WITH THE AUTOMATIC PAYMENY METHOD IT CANNOT BE DONE 

AND YOU CANT EVEN TURN OFF THE AUTOMATIC PAYMENY METHOD/FEATURE IT SUCKS

LOTS OF PEOPLE WILL BE OISSED LIKE ME AND MAYBE EVEN LEAVE EBAY IVER THIS CRAP  

@jonajoh_1862   The setting is not on Buying accounts, there are two settings on ALL Selling accounts that have to be turned OFF for it to go away.  When eBay rolls that feature out on Selling accounts the Default setting is that they are ON and many Sellers are not aware of it or know where to change it.

Regards,
Mr. Lincoln - Community Mentor
Message 51 of 70
latest reply

You are wrong it is on my buying account I buy I have never sold 

Message 52 of 70
latest reply

@jonajoh_1862 wrote:

You are wrong it is on my buying account I buy I have never sold 

@jonajoh_1862   But you changing those settings on your Buying only account has nothing to do with you not having to use the Auto-pay function.  So, on an account that is buying, whether it is purely a buying account or Seller who Buys too they have no affect with the account when it buys.  Selling accounts have the settings that actually affect the function for anyone trying to buy from them.  You may also have 5 addresses on your Buying account too but since you do not Sell some are meaningless as they relate to Selling and not Buying.

Regards,
Mr. Lincoln - Community Mentor
Message 53 of 70
latest reply

I have to have automatic payment info or it WILL NOT LET ME BID OR BUY OR MAKE A OFFER 

I never sell just buy 

Message 54 of 70
latest reply

I am glad I found your message. I cannot relate more.  This is exactly what I have been trying to resolve with sellers and EBay. eBay answer about the  autopay feature is completely unclear. According to Ebay, it would be up to the seller to turn off the autopay feature.  I keep contacting sellers to ask them to do so but no one seems to know how to do it.   Like you, I have paid shipping fees over and over while before I was able to get combined shipping.  I am bleeding money because of this new feature. Everything was fine before when I was bidding or making offers.  Luckily I have been dealing with accommodating/understanding sellers and they refunded me the extra shipping costs.

That’s what happens when corporations like EB  have a quasi monopoly. Like airlines that pretend that we benefit from competition (keep the cost low!!!  Not low to me).  These companies offer the same poor service.  It is just as if were cattle. Meanwhile I am a cash cow for EB. Over 1000 items bought using their platform.  What can we do? 

Message 55 of 70
latest reply

Well it seems that they make it super annoying. They should just keep the feature only the buyer does not pay in time.   This was what they had before.  If you did not pay in time then you had the purchase cancelled and then unpaid item case was put into against your account. I have always communicated with the seller when I was  buying multiple items in order to benefit from combined shipping.   I don’t understand your comment about the fact that we willingly provide our payment information.   We were doing that before but there NO autopay.  That way buyers could buy multiples items and request an invoice with combined shipping when done with purchases made over a few days. eBay has made everything annoying instead.  Can’t believe that someone who has spent so much money on their platform can be treated like délinquant or assumed to be potential délinquant.  Not a good feeling no good business practices for me.  

Message 56 of 70
latest reply

I am in the same boat as you, an eBay buyer for more than 25 years.  I have a question that I have been unable to get an answer to that I hoped might resolve this problem.

My question is this:

If I delete eBay from Automatic Payments in Paypal, can I still use PayPal in eBay?

I hope that is clear.

Thanks.

cw

Message 57 of 70
latest reply

i just had the same happen to me.and there has been times that a seller has agreed to wait 3 days for paymt,well now that wont happen.how do you get out of the autopay.

Message 58 of 70
latest reply

Just make sure your offer is super low. If you don't win, then you probably weren't meant to own it and you don't really need it.  Ebay sucks

Message 59 of 70
latest reply

I also notice this new auto pay function and although I always pay immediately, I just wasn't comfortable with it.

Earlier in this forum, someone express if deleting Paypal from eBay would prevent its use, so I tested it.

I just deleted Paypal from my payment method in my profile. I now have zero registered payment methods with eBay.

I immediately made a small 'buy it now' purchase, and had no issues using PayPal to pay for the transaction.

We'll see if that works for bidding action situations, but I can't imagine it wouldn't.

Message 60 of 70
latest reply