cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to stop the automatic payment method for buyers

I am a buyer I have bought 300+ items on ebay in the last 3 years but yesterday August 5 at 4:53pm I was put in this stupid test by ebay of the sample buyers what have to have a automatic payment method to make a offer or bid on anything and if I win a bid I am automatically charged this is unethical really my cc card on file for ebay purchases I allways use to pay for my purchases should not be charged this is bul*sh** and wrong 

I allways pay on time in less then 2 days 

Is there anyway I can opt out of this test group of buyers 

And another thing with the automatic payment method I CANNOT combine shipping if I buy more than 1 item from a seller so if I buy more than 1 item from the same seller I pay a da*n boatload extra for shipping 

This automatic payment method is the stupidest thing I have ever heard and seen 

And ebay never even mentioned this to buyers , or sellers most people don't even know about it this is a scam/shaddy as hel* business practices 

This a lawsuit waiting to happen people 

I went to ebay chat online and I talked to a ebay representative and she told the only way to get rid of this is to ask the seller I want to buy from to turn it off on there seller account or put me on an exception list from there seller account 

She also told me if thay won't then every offer or bid or bid and win a item I will be automatically charged method 

Does anybody else have this problem or just me can somebody advise or help me please 

And PS: I am only a buyer I have never sold on ebay 

Message 1 of 70
latest reply
69 REPLIES 69

Re: How to stop the automatic payment method for buyers

Hi @jonajoh_1862 

There are numerous posts on this topic ... many of which bring up the same problems about combing shipping.

The CS rep gave you the correct information about what you should ask the seller to do:  "ask the seller I want to buy from to turn it off on there seller account or put me on an exception list from there seller account".

But your follow-up paragraph is incorrect.  If the seller refuses ... it does NOT mean you can't ask other sellers to do you that favor.  Each seller has the option to turn off the 'prepayment info requirement'.  Many sellers don't even realize that they've been defaulted into that option ... and will happily turn it off.

I assume you realize that this procedure started because of the high number of buyers who were seriously messing with sellers' livelihoods by not paying for items after an offer was accepted. 

I am a 'buyer only', like you ... but I don't know understand why you think "This a lawsuit waiting to happen".  We are asked to provide the information before making an offer.  We aren't forced into making offers or bids with sellers who have this requirement ... so what we would sue about?

BTW, I'm not sure if there is still a 'test group for buyers'.  It seems like eBay may have enacted this procedure already ... and automatically opted in all sellers.  I personally haven't experienced it yet ... but I only have PayPal attached to my eBay account and have my default payment method chosen.  Unless I want to purchase more than one item from a seller ... in which case, I would contact the seller beforehand about combining shipping ... I have no problem with my payment being taken from my credit card in PayPal.

Message 2 of 70
latest reply

@jonajoh_1862 wrote:

I allways pay on time in less then 2 days 

That's why sellers like it, they get paid immediately and not have to wait two days to see if the buyer is going to pay.

"This a lawsuit waiting to happen people"

Why?

You're not forced to use best offer.

Have a great day.
Message 3 of 70
latest reply

The lawsuit waiting to happen is that your cc card is charged without your consent or without your knowledge I WAS CHARGED FOR 1 TIME YESTERDAY FOR A ITEM I BID ON BUT ANOTHER BIDDER BID HIGHER THEN ME AND WON THE ITEM THEN HIS BID WAS CANCELED SO I WAS CHARGED/PURCHASED THE ITEM I FEEL LIKE I WAS SCAMMED I WAS NOT TOLD ANYTHING NO MESSAGE AT ALL

Is there a way to opt of this or turn this off completely that is want I really want to know 

And why did ebay not tell buyers or sellers about this is seems shaddy to me ebay should tell buyers and sellers of changes it effects us all

Also why did ebay only do this to certain sellers and not all 

I always pay for my items everytime I have for 3.5 years I have almost 300 purchased items 

Just because you have a cc card on file DOES NOT GIVE EBAY THE RIGHT TO CHARGE IT AUTOMATICALLY , THE AUTOMATICALLY PAYMRNT METHOD is a way to turn off alot of buyers thsre should be a way to turn this OFF

Message 4 of 70
latest reply

Ebay did not enact this , this is still happening to other buyers

Message 5 of 70
latest reply

@jonajoh_1862 wrote:

Ebay did not enact this , this is still happening to other buyers

@jonajoh_1862 

That doesn't contradict what I said.  If eBay already 'enacted' the change ... that would mean that ALL buyers would have to provide payment info IF the seller had that option checked.

BTW, what you say happened in the auction could not have happened that way.  You were the only winner of the auction ... and became the winner before it ended.  Someone else apparently was 'in the lead' for a while ... AND THEN their bid was retracted (or cancelled) while the auction was still running.  That's the only way you could have ended up as the winner.  [eBay warns us that we can still win after being outbid ... and tells us not to bid on  (or buy) the same item unless we're willing to pay for two.]

A seller can cancel the transaction after the auction ends ... but they can't turn anyone else into the winner at that point.  It sounds like you may have decided NOT to pay if the money hadn't been taken ... as you say you feel you were scammed.  

BTW, I do totally agree that eBay should have made this new 'prepayment thing' widely known to both buyers and sellers before they started experimenting with it.   This is typical of eBay ... and those of us that have been around for a long time have learned to expect it.  NOT like it ... and not necessarily accept it ... but expect it.  😕

Message 6 of 70
latest reply

@jonajoh_1862   The real issue is eBay's inability to program the cart to allow Buyers the ability to request and updated invoice when purchasing multiple items from one Seller.  

Regards,
Mr. Lincoln - Community Mentor
Message 7 of 70
latest reply

My International Buyers send me an invoice for what is the total shipping is and I return what the cost is. I can't make them paid. I can cancel the sales in 4 days and block them if they don't pay.

And I won 3 auctions last week...first one was 2 days before the second two auctions. I didn't have to pay until I got a total of all 3 auctions for the shipping. Buyer sent me an invoice and I paid the next day.

I sent out a total shipping charge for items purchased and I get a total for a shipping charge on auctions that I won. I have been here on eBay a decent time. I have been "around the block a few times".

I have 4 credit cards on file plus my 2 debit banking routing numbers. I have never ever got charged until I actually paid. Never heard of a "test group". I think you might be "opening up a can of worms"....an American phase. Until it happens it hasn't happen.

Message 8 of 70
latest reply

No i would have payed i allways do but I bid and I was out bid at that time on t he item at last 10 to 15 mins of auction so I honestly thought the other bidder got it but at very last seconds his bid was retracted/canceled and I won the item but, ebay should have emailed me to let me know but I was just automatically charged  method I was charged without my consent

I didnt even know till next day when I checked my purchase list I just don't agree with at all 

I have 6 friends that have ebay only 1 of them has the automatic payment method test like me the other 5 do not have it 

I was told only 10$ to 25% of buyers were put in this test cycle experiment 

If I was to delete my cc card info till right before I want to buy something then buy it and then delete. My cc card info again can I get around the automatic payment method ????

I really do not trust ebay with my cc card Info at all

Message 9 of 70
latest reply

@12345jamesstamps wrote:

My International Buyers send me an invoice for what is the total shipping is and I return what the cost is. I can't make them paid. I can cancel the sales in 4 days and block them if they don't pay.

And I won 3 auctions last week...first one was 2 days before the second two auctions. I didn't have to pay until I got a total of all 3 auctions for the shipping. Buyer sent me an invoice and I paid the next day.

I sent out a total shipping charge for items purchased and I get a total for a shipping charge on auctions that I won. I have been here on eBay a decent time. I have been "around the block a few times".

I have 4 credit cards on file plus my 2 debit banking routing numbers. I have never ever got charged until I actually paid. Never heard of a "test group". I think you might be "opening up a can of worms"....an American phase. Until it happens it hasn't happen.

@12345jamesstamps   The test groups are real ... eBay does it on a regular basis for new features and functions.  Some progress to site wide changes and others die on the vine.

Regards,
Mr. Lincoln - Community Mentor
Message 10 of 70
latest reply

@jonajoh_1862 wrote:

If I was to delete my cc card info till right before I want to buy something then buy it and then delete. My cc card info again can I get around the automatic payment method ????

@jonajoh_1862 

I wouldn’t try to play games with the system.  If you don’t have a payment source on file when you make an offer … you’ll likely be asked to provide it before your offer will be sent to the seller.

I can understand your shock when payment was taken the first time … but now you know it is coming, so you can decide how you want to pay prior to making an offer (or bid).  

Or you can just stop making offers/bids until something changes … again.  ☹️

Message 11 of 70
latest reply

Yes I guess so it is just wrong I was one of the test subjects and there are other buyers that are not even on this it seems I was in the group that was singled out

I guess because I am a small time buyer I have had my account 3.5 years and I have bought 300 items I only buy like a 100 items a year 

And if ebay DID NOT TELL ME ABOUT THIS automatic payment method CHANGE , THEN HOW ON EARTH WILL I EVER KNOW ABOUT THE NEXT CHANGE POSSIBLE COMING IN THE FUTURE ??????

Message 12 of 70
latest reply

I've been on eBay for 25 years, always paid on a timely basis, I had the same thing happen to me the past 2 days.  I made an offer, it was accepted and my card was automatically charged. I tried to change it, I could not, I tried to REMOVE my card and just leave Paypal and I couldn't remove it.

After speaking to the 4th eBay person (a supervisor) I was told this is being rolled out and  will be the same for everyone, because some people were not paying. So I guess I'm a "test case" too.

My issue is, I was not told in advance and I made offers based on being able to combine shipping, I factor that into my offer.

I was also bidding on someone's items, told at the end, when I won,  that my card would automatically be charged with no notice. 
I had asked the seller if they combined shipping if I won a 2nd item, before I bid, she said yes, so I had another bid on another item...I was outbid and didn't up my bid BECAUSE I would have been charged shipping twice ...at the full amount.

If I buy online, I pay immediately, but my card is not charged until the item is shipped. There is nothing I can do except wait for quite a while to complain if a payment is automatic and the seller does not ship, so that is an issue, but I'm most annoyed that I was not notified of this change.

eBay goes downhill more and more often, it's sad.

Message 13 of 70
latest reply

If this doesn't stop I'll be closing my eBay account of 22 years.  I won't buy anything under these conditions.

Message 14 of 70
latest reply

All I can say to eBay is to stop this nonsense - NOW! I don't know if it is illegal or not but it sure is unethical - I have been an eBay buyer for over 20 years and have never had a negative feedback on almost 2000 positive feedbacks that I have - but I have made at least twice as many purchases than I have feedbacks. This makes me seriously consider going elsewhere and dropping my membership. I'm sure I'm not the only eBayer that feels this way so fix this.

Message 15 of 70
latest reply