cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does anyone else object to the new policy of having to submit PayPal/CC info before making an offer?

I am wondering if anyone else objects to eBay's new policy of being forcing account holders to submit their PayPal/Credit Card information before they are able to make an offer.

Have there been widespread protests regarding this new policy?  Or have most people shrugged their shoulders and turned over their payment information without a murmur?

I ask because I am not a fan of this new policy (to say the least) and am starting to wonder if eBay has, perhaps, reached the point where being on the site is more trouble than it is worth.  Frankly, I am having a difficult time understanding why I simply cannot pay for an item after my offer has been accepted just as I have been doing for the past two decades.

Message 1 of 60
latest reply
59 REPLIES 59

Re: Does anyone else object to the new policy of having to submit PayPal/CC info before making an of

@fast-fierce-and-funny wrote:

I am wondering if anyone else objects to eBay's new policy of being forcing account holders to submit their PayPal/Credit Card information before they are able to make an offer.

Have there been widespread protests regarding this new policy?  Or have most people shrugged their shoulders and turned over their payment information without a murmur?

I ask because I am not a fan of this new policy (to say the least) and am starting to wonder if eBay has, perhaps, reached the point where being on the site is more trouble than it is worth.  Frankly, I am having a difficult time understanding why I simply cannot pay for an item after my offer has been accepted just as I have been doing for the past two decades.

Yes, though mostly peaceful protests.

Posting ID
Message 46 of 60
latest reply

Re: Does anyone else object to the new policy of having to submit PayPal/CC info before making an of

I can understand some of your sentiments. I pretty much dislike the automatic payment feature. I find it quite annoying, honestly. It has impacted my decisions on here. I just now got the prompt for it myself. I made several offers last week and paid them all, combined them as well. Now, I'm avoiding sending any offers at the moment.

Message 47 of 60
latest reply

Or have most people shrugged their shoulders and turned over their payment information without a murmur?

@lakefor94 

In the beginning there was a lot of protest.  All ebay did was enroll MORE buyer IDs into the forced upfront payment option.  No buyer gets out of this, once they are IN. If I see this screen I don't make an offer anymore.  I will NOT provide the funding source in advance.  The seller will never know that I intended to make a $49 dollar offer on their $50 item. They will never know I intended to make TEN different offers for only $1 less than their asking price on TEN of their $10 items so I could get a combined shipping price.   All they know is that that won't have an NPB, not what they may be missing in sales.  

The NOW I can.....actually means NOW I MUST.  Not going to happen. upfront.jpg

Message 48 of 60
latest reply

@ittybitnot wrote:

Or have most people shrugged their shoulders and turned over their payment information without a murmur?

@lakefor94 

In the beginning there was a lot of protest.  All ebay did was enroll MORE buyer IDs into the forced upfront payment option.  No buyer gets out of this, once they are IN. If I see this screen I don't make an offer anymore.  I will NOT provide the funding source in advance.  The seller will never know that I intended to make a $49 dollar offer on their $50 item. They will never know I intended to make TEN different offers for only $1 less than their asking price on TEN of their $10 items so I could get a combined shipping price.   All they know is that that won't have an NPB, not what they may be missing in sales.  

The NOW I can.....actually means NOW I MUST.  Not going to happen. upfront.jpg

I would message the sellers.  The settings default to it being set so they likely don't even know they are "won't have a NPB" because many don't know it's set.  

“Birth certificates show that you were born. Death certificates show that you died. Photographs show that you have lived.” -Unknown
Message 49 of 60
latest reply

Will not allow Ebay access a source of funds that can be withdrawn unchecked if their is a security breach or scammed by a bad seller.  Depending on item and time of month I use different funding sources.  ALL MY EBAY PURCHASING IS SUSPENDED until they resolve this security concern

Message 50 of 60
latest reply

I would message the sellers.  

@myangelandmyprincess 

Tried that. Only got one response, the rest Nada, nothing, ghosted.   It is the seller's choice and they are so glad that it is happening.  Can't compete their fear of the NPB.  I will just not worry about it and let them continue to send offers to me for less than I was going to offer in the first place.  That works, too!  

Sellers don't get to know who they are sending offers to.  One day I got three from one seller.  Again, all lower than I was going to offer in the first place.  I accepted all three, got a combined invoice and paid right away.  Too bad for them, they could have had $26 more, and they still had to risk I might be an NPB by sending those offers to me in the first place.  

If the items with offers simply  remained active until paid for, it would not annoy anyone except the people that have no intention of paying anyway.  

Message 51 of 60
latest reply

I hate this and can't even get past the box explaining the  new STUPID policy.... I hate it!!!!  ...EBAY!!!! a  really stupid move for loyal good customers.  PUT THE MAKE OFFER BACK WHERE IT WAS!!  WE ARE BUYERS, NOT UNTRUSTWORTHY CRIMINALS.   I am seriously considering leaving ebay and go where I am trusted . .Rosanne8654

Message 52 of 60
latest reply

@kb7uns wrote:

Will not allow Ebay access a source of funds that can be withdrawn unchecked if their is a security breach or scammed by a bad seller.  Depending on item and time of month I use different funding sources.

You can choose the payment method with each offer you make. The offer is only pending for 24 hours so the time of month in which you make the offer would not matter. It would not carry over automatically to later offers unless you choose not to pick a different method next time.

@kb7uns wrote:

ALL MY EBAY PURCHASING IS SUSPENDED until they resolve this security concern

After looking at your nightmare feedback left for others - an endless sea of ranting Negs - I think everyone will be grateful that you have suspended your Ebay purchasing. Perhaps Ebay is not for you.

Message 53 of 60
latest reply

@fast-fierce-and-funny wrote:

I am wondering if anyone else objects

I do not object. It has been wanted by sellers for well more than a decade.

Message 54 of 60
latest reply

Don't understand

Message 55 of 60
latest reply

"I am wondering if anyone else objects to eBay's new policy of being forcing account holders to submit their PayPal/Credit Card information before they are able to make an offer.'

Not me, if I make an offer, obviously I want the item, and am happy to pay for it instantly.

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

“Never pick a fight with an ugly person. They don’t have anything to lose.” ~Robin Williams
Message 56 of 60
latest reply

I don't mind providing a payment method before submitting the offer and totally understand it as a seller, but it would be great to have the option to perform a final payment via the standard checkout procedure.

Why someone may want it? The thing is that there is a delay of up to 24hrs before the seller accepts the offer, and something can change during this time:

- I may get a gift card which I may want to use after I made the offer. 
- My credit card got closer to a credit limit for whatever reason before the seller accepted the offer, and I want to avoid the over-the-limit fees.
- My debit card doesn't have enough funds due to unplanned expenses, and I want to avoid the overdraft fee.
- Some banks offer statement credits for eBay purchases, and in order to get those, I need to activate it first and then make the payment.
- Buying more than 1 item from the seller, and I want to get a combined shipping or, for whatever reason, want the seller to send me an invoice first.  

How this can work?

Let's say after the seller accepts the offer, eBay sends me an email and/or notification that the offer is accepted and asks if I want to confirm or change a payment method and gives me some time (24hrs, for example). From there, I may just confirm the payment method and pay right away or change it to a different one, or go to my cart or purchase history and pay from there using the regular checkout procedure.  If I didn't take action within a pre-set amount of time (24 hrs or whatever), eBay just charges me the default method, and that's it.  

I believe this will make things fair to the buyer; with the current option, I feel like I'm being forced to do something or being stripped of control,  with no option to make the changes along the way. 

Message 57 of 60
latest reply

@upgradedmacs-com  you could just wait until you have your funding ready and available OR just BIN without making an offer.

Life is not fair and you are not being forced to do anything.

Just do like you do on other sites and pay asking price.

klhmdg  •  Volunteer Community Mentor
Message 58 of 60
latest reply

If someone can pay the asking or MSRP price, they won't be shopping on eBay, right? And what's the point of having Offers, then? In your logic, eBay may just shut down auctions as well and become a 2nd Amazon. 

Your answer is unsolicited, not helpful, non-professional, and borderline harassing.  

Message 59 of 60
latest reply

A quote from post #27  

"Does ebay care if you object ?

If you don't like ebay's new policy, will you refrain from making offers ?"

Unclear, and yes,  to those questions, and I have.

I'm here reading this thread because I have multiple accounts and paypal funds were not in the options.  Each account  has it's specific uses - and P/P funds not available for payment why?

Someone mentioned a two-strike rule against non-paying buyers.  Was that not a fair method, and leave

the rest of us to our happy choice-laden payment options?

I agree with this post - it's about stripping of choice, making my life just a bit more narrow-minded.

Of course the work-around would be to just communicate with the seller, so they can send an offer workup; but why all the extra trouble?

Message 60 of 60
latest reply