cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Chat, December 15 @ 1:00 pm PT - General Topics

tyler@ebay
eBay Staff (Alumni)

Thanks for joining us for the Weekly Chat with eBay Staff. We don't have a specific topic this week, so feel free to share any general buying or selling questions you may have.

The chat thread will remain open until 2 PM PT at which point we'll close it from additional responses. After that time, we'll continue to work on responding to any queries that might still be unanswered.

To post your question, click Reply in the lower right corner of this post, type your question, and hit submit between 1-2 PM Pacific Time. The format of our chat mirrors the format of our Community Discussion Boards, where each post will appear in the thread chronologically. The Community Team will review each question as it comes in, and will quote the original question in our reply. This quote and the reply will appear later in the thread, so just keep scrolling down to see our answers.

Missed the chat? Send your questions to the podcast by calling  888-723-4630 or email us at podcast@ebay.com and maybe your questions will make it on the air! Or listen to past episodes while you wait for next Wednesday!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 1 of 51
latest reply
50 REPLIES 50

Re: Community Chat, December 15 @ 1:00 pm PT - General Topics

velvet@ebay wrote:

@dhbookds wrote:

hmmm......how did I get the frame? 

I'm not sure what you're referring to here @dhbookds. Will you elaborate on what you mean by getting a frame? Thanks!

Ignore me..........when I posted the question there was a blue frame around it, as your posts have.....when I refreshed (after the comment) it disappeared.  For a moment, I thought I WAS HIRED.........

-----

Edit: A reply to your comment can be found here

Message 16 of 51
latest reply

@valueaddedresource wrote:

tyler@ebay  - There is a very concerning thread from @somanypostcards  where they have reported over a hundred likely hijacked accounts being used for possibly fraudulent purchases in the last month and have been unable to get any assistance from eBay on the issue.

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/More-suspicious-purchases-likely-unauthorized-use-of-buyer/m-p...

I've looked at a few of the accounts in question and they definitely have many of the same red flags  I've seen across many verified instances of hijacked/account takeover fraud on eBay.

I understand here in the chat you can't speak to account specifics or get into what actions if any may be taken on reports like this, but what exactly would be the best course of contact and escalation for this seller and others who have reported similarly suspicious transactions using the same address?

They haven't gotten anywhere with the normal support options - where should they go from here?

Hi @valueaddedresource - I'll have a look at the thread involved and report from my end. 

There isn't a reporting pathway other than self service (using report this item) or contacting CS. Also - to be clear - a reporting member should not expect to hear back about the outcome of our review, as it's considered personal information of another account. 

Tyler,
eBay
Message 17 of 51
latest reply

Good afternoon eBay Support Team!

Subject:  My first Payment Dispute from a Buyer in Managed Payments

Chronology - Comments - Questions

1. Buyer purchases item on November 4 ... total purchase about $ 40, I leave FB for Buyer while label is printing

2. Item delivered Nov 6

3. Dec 13 eBay messages me about a Payment Dispute, message states the charge is not recognized by the Buyer

4. Dec 13 I send Buyer a message acknowledging their dispute, include screen shots of Delivery confirmation AND the Order details.  I upload tracking to the eBay claim BUT that is all they ask for.

5. Dec 14 Buyer leaves Positive Feedback for me on the transaction, they are very happy

6. I message Buyer asking if they have or will contact their credit card company to cancel the payment dispute

7. Buyer has NOT messaged me through the entire process ... they may not know how, not sure.

That brings us to the present here on Dec 15, late in the day.  Comments - questions:

A. Why is there no access to the Dispute details for Sellers via Seller Hub or some other eBay-Adyen portal?  There should be to allow Sellers to review status, add pertinent info (like messages from Buyer, report Feedback was left, etc.)

B. In a case where a Buyer leaves Positive Feedback, wouldn't that allow eBay-Adyen to WIN the dispute

C. Does eBay review any messages between Trading Partners on a Payment dispute to share with Adyen?

D. How long does it take for a typical Payment Dispute to be resolved?

E. In the event a Buyer wins a dispute, what funding source does eBay use to charge the Seller?  Available funds if they are sufficient to cover the cost?  Seller's back up payment method?

F. In my situation, in the unlikely event eBay-Adyen loses the Payment Dispute how do I appeal that and provide the PROOF the Buyer made the purchase and was ultimately pleased with it?

It would be beneficial if eBay would provide an accurate explanation of how eBay-Adyen really helps protect Sellers in the event of a Payment dispute. 

Regards,

Mr. L

Regards,
Mr. Lincoln - Community Mentor
Message 18 of 51
latest reply

@cottageconservator wrote:

I have a question about handling times.  I searched the eBay site but could not find an answer.  If a buyer purchases something from me a 1 am on Monday and I have a 1-day handling time can that item ship out anytime on Tuesday?  Also, do weekends count?

Hey @cottageconservatorIf you offer a 1-day handling time, it's not based on 24 hours - it's the end of the next business day. If an item is purchased on Friday, Saturday, or Sunday though, it will need to have an acceptance scan by Monday 11:59:59pm.

Velvet,
eBay
Message 19 of 51
latest reply

They don't count weekends, its "business days", they also don't count the major holidays where the post office isn't open.

As far as the 1 day handling, they way its "supposed" to be set up, based on the sample question you gave, it wouldn't have to go out until Wednesday.

The reason for the quotations around supposed, is because I've had instances (I have 2 day handling) where someone has purchased something from me at 7 pm, and I don't get the full 2 business days. I work from a brick and mortar store, so we have set hours, any thing that comes in after 5:30 isn't going to be seen, pulled, or boxed up until the next morning. It doesn't happen to me all the time, but it has happened, I haven't found any real rhyme or reason to it.

Message 20 of 51
latest reply

tyler@ebay wrote:

@valueaddedresource wrote:

tyler@ebay  - There is a very concerning thread from @somanypostcards  where they have reported over a hundred likely hijacked accounts being used for possibly fraudulent purchases in the last month and have been unable to get any assistance from eBay on the issue.

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/More-suspicious-purchases-likely-unauthorized-use-of-buyer/m-p...

I've looked at a few of the accounts in question and they definitely have many of the same red flags  I've seen across many verified instances of hijacked/account takeover fraud on eBay.

I understand here in the chat you can't speak to account specifics or get into what actions if any may be taken on reports like this, but what exactly would be the best course of contact and escalation for this seller and others who have reported similarly suspicious transactions using the same address?

They haven't gotten anywhere with the normal support options - where should they go from here?

Hi @valueaddedresource - I'll have a look at the thread involved and report from my end. 

There isn't a reporting pathway other than self service (using report this item) or contacting CS. Also - to be clear - a reporting member should not expect to hear back about the outcome of our review, as it's considered personal information of another account. 

Thanks tyler@ebay !

I understand users shouldn't expect to receive details about the outcome of the review, however I think what they and others who have similar suspicious purchases that may be connected are hoping to get assistance with is what their best course of action is in regard to how to handle the orders, how to protect themselves and their accounts from this kind of fraud, and some assurance that eBay understands what is going on and will protect them.

Shutting down your account temporarily/going "on vacation" to stop a flood of fraudulent orders is not an ideal solution, especially during the holidays.

Thanks again for checking in on it!

Message 21 of 51
latest reply

We're receiving a run-around with USPS in trying to figure out the Holiday hours for Christmas Eve. Our postman has confirmed that our station will be running on Holiday hours and pick ups may not be available, but he doesn't know off hand what those hours will be as he won't be working that day.

We will be visiting the post office later on today to try to get an official response to the hours. But if it is like past few years they will be closing at 1PM, and not offering pick up.

In the mean time, will eBay be providing any assistance or protections to sellers if their local shipping services are not available for Christmas eve? Or will we be out of luck if options are not available?

-----

Edit: A reply to your question can be found here

Message 22 of 51
latest reply

Thank you so much!  Grateful for you 😀

Message 23 of 51
latest reply

Copy and paste.. 

Why was PR buyer able to select FedEx Home Delivery when FedEx considers it as an international ship-to address?

PR buyer should have not been able to proceed with the purchase as I did not list USPS on the courier services nor FedEx/UPS International services.

eBay should have not allowed the sale given that FedEx Home/Ground is for US Domestic address; PR is an international destination for FedEx.

-----

Message 24 of 51
latest reply

Hi!

Last year, when my wife’s eBay account was transitioned into Managed Payments, she noticed that she could not set up her business (through the MP system) as a single-member LLC (treated as a disregarded entity for federal tax purposes) and use her SSN as her TIN.  We sent several messages to the Managed Payments team about this issue (at that time) and had several phone conversations as well.  We were assured that things would be resolved and were under the impression that they were.

Recently, she received notification within eBay that her TIN/name combination didn’t match the IRS records and requested she electronically submit a signed W-9 which she did that same day.  Hopefully, by sending in the W-9, your system will be set up to transmit her information to the IRS, per the W-9…. However, several days have passed now and the taxpayer settings within eBay do not match the info she sent on the W-9 form yet…

We called eBay shortly thereafter submitting the W-9  and were informed by the representative that It appears that this issue resulted from the eBay Managed Payments system not allowing a SSN to be used with a single-member LLC.  He indicated that a ticket was created to have the IT team fix the issue and they would get back to us.

I have three questions….  

1). When will we know that eBay has confirmed the updated TIN information with the IRS?  How will eBay notify us of this?  Will our taxpayer settings in eBay match the W-9 info we sent?

2). Will eBay be sending corrected 2020 1099-K’s to the IRS for these small number of sellers?

3)  Will eBay communicate to the IRS that this error on the 2020 1099-K was on eBay’s end and not on her end?  (We have records of our correspondence with eBay from last year where she told the Managed Payments team that her single member LLC was a disregarded entity for federal tax purposes, that she did not have an EIN, and that she properly uses her SSN)

I am concerned that IRS might think she did something improper (I believe there is a potential $50 penalty for providing incorrect information) or that they now think she earned twice the income that she did in 2020 on eBay MP if two 1099-K’s with identical amounts end up being sent.  

Please help!

-----

Message 25 of 51
latest reply

@greg213213 wrote:

I have question about shipping. It seems that the USPS is now using the severe weather as an excuse for packages not getting delivered when they should be. I just made a purchase from another seller and they downloaded the tracking for my order. When I checked the tracking it gives me this:

Due to severe weather, some packages may be delayed.
greg213213_0-1639602589311.png

Tracking provided
Step 1 - In Progress - Tracking provided
In transit
Step 2 - Upcoming - In transit
Out for delivery
Step 3 - Upcoming - Out for delivery
Estimated delivery
Step 4 - Upcoming - Estimated delivery Wed, Dec 22Wed, Dec 22

My question is this: Are all sellers, no matter where they are located going to be protected from this. I also have three packages that have this same info on them and one should have been delivered on Monday but it has not.

If there are severe weather conditions that delay shipments, then we've historically protected sellers against negative affects to their account @greg213213 .

Keep an eye on our Announcements board and if weather is that bad, it's usually newsworthy, so you can work towards appealing any defects you may receive by making that known to Customer Support.

Visit the Seller performance and feedback policy help page to get more info about when defects can be removed. 

Velvet,
eBay
Message 26 of 51
latest reply

@dhbookds wrote:

velvet@ebay wrote:

@dhbookds wrote:

hmmm......how did I get the frame? 

I'm not sure what you're referring to here @dhbookds. Will you elaborate on what you mean by getting a frame? Thanks!

Ignore me..........when I posted the question there was a blue frame around it, as your posts have.....when I refreshed (after the comment) it disappeared.  For a moment, I thought I WAS HIRED.........

Oh, gotcha! I'm glad it's looking normal again @dhbookds

Velvet,
eBay
Message 27 of 51
latest reply

@selsa84 wrote:

I have called ebay about the same issues for 10 years now and nothing ever seems to get fixed.  When signing in itll say i have wrong password even though it is autofill.

Itll say I have an offer in my ebay and when i click on it there is no offer.

Even when listing a new item if i fill out ALL item specifics itll go directly to (item specifics required or recommended.

Store items go missing weekly and buyers dont see them even when i send them into my store with keywords.

Every few days itll say I have active content in listings but I dont., EVER.

Called last week 5 times and the CS rep said they were going to open a ticket on some of these issues but called today and rep said there were no tickets filled out. 

Sales are bad, views are horrible and I expect thats what happens when my listings keep going missing from store.

Hi @selsa84 - I can see how frustrating one of those situations would be, much less all of them happening at once!

While I do suggest continuing to work with CS to have them review your listings for any opportunities to increase visibility, I'd also recommend checking some basics. These are things you can try on your own without needing CS to get involved, and if there is a technical issue at play will help pin it down:

1. Are you using a favorite link or shortcut to get to eBay? If so, try navigating there manually by typing in the URL (www.ebay.com).

2. You can check your browser's auto-saved passwords in the settings for the browser- it may be outdated and need updating.

3. This could be a phantom notification, or an older one that doesn't feel acknowledged. If you click on it is something actually there or is the notification screen blank?

4. Is the item specifics warning when you list the item or after you list it and it shows up in your Seller Hub Summary page as a 'to-do'?

5. Depending on your buyer's location and your shipping preferences they may not see your item in a general search, but if they are looking for a specific item in your store and not finding it that is definitely something we'd want to review, but will need an example. 

6. Is the active content warning in your Seller Hub summary page or as you're listing items?

Thanks! 

Tyler,
eBay
Message 28 of 51
latest reply

@selsa84 wrote:

I have called ebay about the same issues for 10 years now and nothing ever seems to get fixed.  When signing in itll say i have wrong password even though it is autofill.

Itll say I have an offer in my ebay and when i click on it there is no offer.

Even when listing a new item if i fill out ALL item specifics itll go directly to (item specifics required or recommended.

Store items go missing weekly and buyers dont see them even when i send them into my store with keywords.

Every few days itll say I have active content in listings but I dont., EVER.

Called last week 5 times and the CS rep said they were going to open a ticket on some of these issues but called today and rep said there were no tickets filled out. 

Sales are bad, views are horrible and I expect thats what happens when my listings keep going missing from store.

Hi @selsa84 - I can see how frustrating one of those situations would be, much less all of them happening at once!

While I do suggest continuing to work with CS to have them review your listings for any opportunities to increase visibility, I'd also recommend checking some basics. These are things you can try on your own without needing CS to get involved, and if there is a technical issue at play will help pin it down:

1. Are you using a favorite link or shortcut to get to eBay? If so, try navigating there manually by typing in the URL (www.ebay.com).

2. You can check your browser's auto-saved passwords in the settings for the browser- it may be outdated and need updating.

3. This could be a phantom notification, or an older one that doesn't feel acknowledged. If you click on it is something actually there or is the notification screen blank?

4. Is the item specifics warning when you list the item or after you list it and it shows up in your Seller Hub Summary page as a 'to-do'?

5. Depending on your buyer's location and your shipping preferences they may not see your item in a general search, but if they are looking for a specific item in your store and not finding it that is definitely something we'd want to review, but will need an example. 

6. Is the active content warning in your Seller Hub summary page or as you're listing items?

Thanks! 

Tyler,
eBay
Message 29 of 51
latest reply

@zamo-zuan wrote:

We're receiving a run-around with USPS in trying to figure out the Holiday hours for Christmas Eve. Our postman has confirmed that our station will be running on Holiday hours and pick ups may not be available, but he doesn't know off hand what those hours will be as he won't be working that day.

We will be visiting the post office later on today to try to get an official response to the hours. But if it is like past few years they will be closing at 1PM, and not offering pick up.

In the mean time, will eBay be providing any assistance or protections to sellers if their local shipping services are not available for Christmas eve? Or will we be out of luck if options are not available?

Hey @zamo-zuan! There's been no announcement of us offering protections for the scenario given. I also can't recall when we've offered something like that in the past...but I could be wrong.

I would error on the side of caution though. If you find that your regular carrier won't work out on Christmas Eve, see if there is another carrier that will. You could also add additional handling time once you hit that window or consider canceling the sale if that's going to be easiest and your metrics are in good shape. 

-----

Edit: A follow-up to this reply and original question, can be found here

Velvet,
eBay
Message 30 of 51
latest reply
About this Board

Welcome to the Retired Monthly Chat with eBay Staff board! This board contains past chats with eBay Community team members along with eBay product teams.

For eBay news and information see:

Consider posting on one of these boards for input from fellow eBay members: