cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Chat, March 10 @ 1:00 pm PT - General Topics

brian@ebay
eBay Staff (Alumni)

Hi everyone! Thanks for joining us for the Weekly Chat with eBay Staff. We don't have a specific topic this week, so feel free to share any general buying or selling questions you may have.

The chat thread will remain open until 2 PM PT at which point we'll close it from additional responses. After that time, we'll continue to work on responding to any queries that might still be unanswered.

To post your question, click Reply in the lower right corner of this post, type your question, and hit submit between 1-2 PM Pacific Time. The format of our chat mirrors the format of our Community Discussion Boards, where each post will appear in the thread chronologically. The Community Team will review each question as it comes in, and will quote the original question in our reply. This quote and the reply will appear later in the thread, so just keep scrolling down to see our answers.

Missed the chat? Send your questions to the podcast by calling  888-723-4630 or email us at podcast@ebay.com and maybe your questions will make it on the air! Or listen to past episodes while you wait for next Wednesday!

Brian,
Community Team
Message 1 of 30
latest reply
29 REPLIES 29

Re: Community Chat, March 10 @ 1:00 pm PT - General Topics

Hello to all the eBay crew doing the chat: thank you all.

Message 2 of 30
latest reply

@donsdetour wrote:

Hello to all the eBay crew doing the chat: thank you all.

Hi @donsdetour! Glad you're here 😀

Brian,
Community Team
Message 3 of 30
latest reply

Could you explain how tracking works with the new ebay standard envelope? And what seller protection is available for INR claims and INR chargeback complaints? 

-----

Edit: A reply to your questions can be found here

Message 4 of 30
latest reply

Looking to be a slow start today> will have to go see were one absent wanted to ask here and post it.

Message 5 of 30
latest reply

"Good afternoon eBay Support team, (excuse errors, I'm on a schedule and trying to get out the door)

I will be at appointments today when the Chat goes off so wanted to get this situation to you on a transaction. Here it is in bullet points

-Relatively new Buyer receives item and over a two week period they decide to return it, I had advised them during that time I offer Free Returns so they would not have to pay return shipping.

-Yesterday (3-9-21)I get a message they shipped the item back in the original box and will want a refund.

-I explain that eBay has official return tools for processing returns that among other things allow sellers to recover their Selling Fees, I included the fact that Sellers also can not refund more than the original total purchase price, shipping, etc.

-After explaining how returns through eBay work (but not to file one right now since they already shipped the item) the Buyer filed a return then cancelled it. This caused the item cost to be placed on Hold in Managed Payments (1st pic below). But when I click the blue hold link for details there is NO record of the return (2nd pic)

Questions and comments on this situation:

1. The return claim was closed within an hour of it being opened by the customer

2. Why are my funds still on hold when the Return claim was cancelled over 14 hours ago?

3. I plan tor refund the Buyer when the item is returned and providing there is not damaged and i can resell it.

4. If I simply Refund the Buyer through MP for part of all of their original purchase will i get my Selling Fees back?

5. In a situation where the Buyer sends an item back outside eBay's return process AND upon Seller's request they supply the tracking number what are the exact steps the Seller needs to take to:

- process a refund and recover their Selling fees from eBay?

- have less than Positive Feedback removed in the event it occurs?

- avoid any kind of a defect because of the way the Buyer chose to return the item and the Sellers refunds a large of complete refund?

The way I see it now, I may get the item back as early as tomorrow (Thurs). The earliest I would refund is when the funds are taken OFF Hold in MP. No offense but I don't trust eBay's MP programming to take funds off hold if I refund the transaction before that happens."

From this post this morn....

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Payments/MP-Cash-flow-on-a-Cancelled-return-amp-Funds-on-Hold/td-p/316... 

_____
Edit: A reply to your post can be found here

Message 6 of 30
latest reply

Good afternoon,

I was wondering why, when a seller has a return and they don't get the entire shipment back. Seller calls eBay to look at the return and eBay puts a hold on it for the seller, to give the buyer more time to complete the return.

When seller does finally get the return, seller cannot issue the refund. Seller has to wait until eBay steps after hold expires and issues the refund.  This in turn, gives the seller a defect for non seller resolution.

Now, seller has to call eBay to request removal of the defect. Then has to wait a week to see if the defect does actually get removed.

When put on hold at the request of the seller, there should still be a "refund" icon for seller to issue the refund. If they don't, then eBay can step in.

______
Edit: Reply to this post can be read here

Message 7 of 30
latest reply

@dentalsales4u wrote:

Good afternoon,

I was wondering why, when a seller has a return and they don't get the entire shipment back. Seller calls eBay to look at the return and eBay puts a hold on it for the seller, to give the buyer more time to complete the return.

When seller does finally get the return, seller cannot issue the refund. Seller has to wait until eBay steps after hold expires and issues the refund.  This in turn, gives the seller a defect for non seller resolution.

Now, seller has to call eBay to request removal of the defect. Then has to wait a week to see if the defect does actually get removed.

When put on hold at the request of the seller, there should still be a "refund" icon for seller to issue the refund. If they don't, then eBay can step in.

@dentalsales4u that's a great question! Situations like that aren't something we see to often so a process hasn't been built in. Like you mentioned, contacting customer service is currently the correct step to get this resolved for the seller.

With that said, I'm happy to pass along your feedback!

Brian,
Community Team
Message 8 of 30
latest reply

I am seeing a lot of chatter on Ebay Community and all around the internet about buyers not being able to complete their purchases...various shopping cart errors, payment method failed, try again later, seller not accepting payments, multiple credit cards denied etc. These problems may be scaring buyers away from Ebay.
Is anyone looking into these issues? There are new posts on the Community everyday and I never see any solutions.

-----

Edit:  A reply to your question can be found here

Message 9 of 30
latest reply

brian@ebay wrote:

@dentalsales4u wrote:

Good afternoon,

@dentalsales4u that's a great question! Situations like that aren't something we see to often so a process hasn't been built in. Like you mentioned, contacting customer service is currently the correct step to get this resolved for the seller.

With that said, I'm happy to pass along your feedback!

Add us to the list of sellers who have been deeply inconvenienced by eBay's oversight on this

Message 10 of 30
latest reply

@my-cottage-books-and-antiques wrote:

Could you explain how tracking works with the new ebay standard envelope? And what seller protection is available for INR claims and INR chargeback complaints? 

Hi @my-cottage-books-and-antiques - sorry for the delay on this, I had to do some digging. Here's what I was able to find:

Tracking for eBay Standard Envelope is an agreement set up with several of  our partners. It is not a USPS tracking number , and is only trackable via the eBay website (via a buyer's Purchase History or a sellers Order History). 

While you shouldn't expect to see an acceptance scan from USPS at the counter or by the letter carrier, there are systems in place to ensure that, as a seller, you get credit for shipping items on time and with a valid number.

As far as protections for INR situations:

eBay Standard Envelope doesn't provide any special protections when it comes to INRs or payment disputes. However, the standard protections will apply - if the item scans as attempted or actually delivered we would find in your favor in the case of an INR. Since payment disputes are decided by the financial institution we cannot promise that it will always be found in your favor, but we will always work to provide the institution with the evidence of deliverability. If you encounter an INR payment dispute for an eBay Standard Envelope item please consider contacting Customer Support so they can review your options with you. 

Thanks!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 11 of 30
latest reply

I read that the classic selling view will be retired this year, so all sellers will use the hub.  True?  If true, any idea of when?

When sellers ask how to go back the classic, I try to encourage them to use the hub. Knowing that it will be the only tool might offer more incentive 🙂

wooden_flower Volunteer Community Mentor.
eBay member since 2001.

Message 12 of 30
latest reply

brian@ebay 

While you shouldn't expect to see an acceptance scan from USPS at the counter or by the letter carrier, there are systems in place to ensure that, as a seller, you get credit for shipping items on time and with a valid number.

Problem is not US...........it's the buyers that expect to see it.........shouldn't there be a bit of education by ebay to THEM?   Might forestall THEIR questions to sellers.

Message 13 of 30
latest reply

brian@ebay 
Couple weeks I wrote about not getting shipping label receipts for label purchases for Media Mail, started Feb 18th, I've reported it 6x to Customer Service now for tech support - still nothing has been done, and now it's also for priority mail not just media mail. How long does it take for ebay to fix this? really, kinda ridiculous that ebay can't fix this by now, sellers need the receipts. Top it off, you cannot download a report for ONLY shipping labels purchases in Managed Payments. Another thing that needs to be done and accessible to sellers. 

Second, Bulk Editor is also major messed up again, nothing but errors, "payment method for instant payment missing" - I'm in Managed Payments, this error shouldn't exist. "The Volume Discount Create or Update Failed For (insert # here) Listings" - and you cannot complete bulk edit, which in turn messes up your listings, then I have to call and have ebay reset. 

The great truth is there isn't one
And it only gets worse since that conclusion...
...There is something about the rigid posture of a proper, authentic blind
As if extended arms reached to pass his blindness onto others.
Message 14 of 30
latest reply

I made an offer to a seller on an item, i waited till the next day and at that point i just wanted to go ahead and buy the item because i also had another seller accept an offer on a different item and i just wanted to check them both out at the same time. After i made the purchase a few seconds later the seller accepted the original offer i had sent earlier, So now i have ebay trying to make me purchase the same item i already bought. I sent  a request to  cancel the first order and i also have sent the seller 2 messages asking them if they can cancel one of the orders. I told them i don't care which one they cancel i'll even pay for the more expensive one. I just don't want to purchase this item twice. I have heard nothing back from the seller and i'm afraid i'm going to get penalized soon for not paying for the 2nd order yet.

_____
Edit: A reply to your post can be found here

Message 15 of 30
latest reply
About this Board

Welcome to the Retired Monthly Chat with eBay Staff board! This board contains past chats with eBay Community team members along with eBay product teams.

For eBay news and information see:

Consider posting on one of these boards for input from fellow eBay members: