cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Chat, March 17 @ 1:00 pm PT - General Topics

brittanie@ebay
eBay Staff (Alumni)

Hi everyone! Thanks for joining us for the Weekly Chat with eBay Staff. We don't have a specific topic this week, so feel free to share any general buying or selling questions you may have.

The chat thread will remain open until 2 PM PT at which point we'll close it from additional responses. After that time, we'll continue to work on responding to any queries that might still be unanswered.

To post your question, click Reply in the lower right corner of this post, type your question, and hit submit between 1-2 PM Pacific Time. The format of our chat mirrors the format of our Community Discussion Boards, where each post will appear in the thread chronologically. The Community Team will review each question as it comes in, and will quote the original question in our reply. This quote and the reply will appear later in the thread, so just keep scrolling down to see our answers.

Missed the chat? Send your questions to the podcast by calling  888-723-4630 or email us at podcast@ebay.com and maybe your questions will make it on the air! Or listen to past episodes while you wait for next Wednesday!

Brittanie,
Community Team

Message 1 of 22
latest reply
21 REPLIES 21

Hello-

A question regarding whether it is acceptable to sell a week (or two) at a time in various locations?  What is eBay's policy on selling for example in Los Angeles for a week, then selling from Austin, Tx for a week?

Thank you-

Josh

Message 2 of 22
latest reply

@jobl_8969 wrote:

Hello-

A question regarding whether it is acceptable to sell a week (or two) at a time in various locations?  What is eBay's policy on selling for example in Los Angeles for a week, then selling from Austin, Tx for a week?

Thank you-

Josh

@jobl_8969 as long as the seller follows the Item Location policy and has a valid return address on file then it should be fine. 

Brian,
Community Team
Message 3 of 22
latest reply

I was wondering why eBay took away the option of an upcharge for items going to

Alaska or Hawaii?

I offer free FedEx ground shipping and would do an upcharge for these two states since the product can't ship ground. This would help off set the cost of 2nd day air shipping, but still give the buyer a discount on the cost.

I found out the hard way that it was removed when I received an order from Hawaii the other day and there was no upcharge added. I had to eat a $45 shipping cost due to this. Then I had to go into all my listings and mark that I don't ship to Alaska or Hawaii.

What was the thinking behind this?

It was a good option.

-----

Edit: a reply to your question can be found here

Message 4 of 22
latest reply

-------------
Posting ID
Message 5 of 22
latest reply

I look forward to the increase in insertion fee free Fixed Price listings next month not only for the obvious reasons, but because my auction listings receive almost no views. Is ebay aware of the huge discrepancy in views between Fixed Price and Auction based listings? This is not a casual observance on my part. I have detected this over a long time period so it is indisputable.

_____
Edit: A reply to your post can be found here

Message 6 of 22
latest reply

What is with eBay's fraudulent billing practices?  I tried talking to CS, but still have no answer to what this email means about random missed charges I am getting hit for.  If you are going to charge or credit me random amounts you owe me an invoice to go with it.  If I don't get an answer soon I may just take eBay to small claims court for a random amount that happens to be the maximum allowed in my area...

gwzcomps_0-1616013203894.png

Message 7 of 22
latest reply

@rosevelyn wrote:

I look forward to the increase in insertion fee free Fixed Price listings next month not only for the obvious reasons, but because my auction listings receive almost no views. Is ebay aware of the huge discrepancy in views between Fixed Price and Auction based listings? This is not a casual observance on my part. I have detected this over a long time period so it is indisputable.

The fee increase is so they have the budget to break working site functions. 🤣

Message 8 of 22
latest reply

@gwzcomps wrote:

What is with eBay's fraudulent billing practices?  I tried talking to CS, but still have no answer to what this email means about random missed charges I am getting hit for.  If you are going to charge or credit me random amounts you owe me an invoice to go with it.  If I don't get an answer soon I may just take eBay to small claims court for a random amount that happens to be the maximum allowed in my area...

We'd also like an explanation for this

Message 9 of 22
latest reply

@bimmerpc1 wrote:

@gwzcomps wrote:

We'd also like an explanation for this

Best part is this is the second time this has happened.  I can't find the older email because those pesky eBay emails always seem to find a way to disappear themselves.  It is like they have Mission Impossible self destruct tech built in.

Edit: I lied I found it after doing some digging.  The last one had a $$$ amount, but not real information.  That link just takes you to your seller hub.  I guess eBay assumed we were too stupid to find a page we regularly use on our own?

gwzcomps_0-1616013724293.png

Message 10 of 22
latest reply

I have noticed that with my auction items.  Have maybe 50 and only have 2 bids.  but over 300 BIN.   I sell 10 to 1 over auction

Message 11 of 22
latest reply

@rosevelyn wrote:

@rosevelyn - I'm glad to hear that you're excited! We know that overall buyers are more interested in Fixed-Price items, though it can really depend on the type of item being sold. If you're seeing that your Auction listings aren't getting as many views, you may want to add 'Buy It Now' (a fee may apply) or make it a Fixed-Price listing to see if that helps. There's flexibility there to allow you to use the format that is best for what you're selling.

Brittanie,
Community Team

Message 12 of 22
latest reply

@dentalsales4u wrote:

I was wondering why eBay took away the option of an upcharge for items going to

Alaska or Hawaii?

I offer free FedEx ground shipping and would do an upcharge for these two states since the product can't ship ground. This would help off set the cost of 2nd day air shipping, but still give the buyer a discount on the cost.

I found out the hard way that it was removed when I received an order from Hawaii the other day and there was no upcharge added. I had to eat a $45 shipping cost due to this. Then I had to go into all my listings and mark that I don't ship to Alaska or Hawaii.

What was the thinking behind this?

It was a good option.

Hi @dentalsales4u - this one took me by surprise as well, but apparently it has been removed since 2019 but was supported for the following 18 months and so only recently expired (had to do some digging for that).

The surcharge option itself wasn't fully removed though! You are still able to apply one by setting up a Shipping Rate table in your Shipping Preferences page of My eBay. 

Tyler,
eBay
Message 13 of 22
latest reply

I purchased an item recently. A few days after paying for my item, the seller cancelled my item. In a message to me, they admitted they ran out of stock. However, when they cancelled, they claimed that I requested to cancel, which I did not. Now there is no option for me to leave appropriate feedback for this transaction or to refute the cancellation. Why can't I leave feedback?

-----

Edit: a reply to your question can be found here

Message 14 of 22
latest reply

This happens a lot!!!

Seller contacts buyer and states they are out of stock, do you want to wait for them to get more stock or cancel.

When you tell them to cancel since you don't want to wait, seller cancels stating buyers request. Gets them off the hook. Bad business practice if you ask me 😞 

Message 15 of 22
latest reply
About this Board

Welcome to the Retired Monthly Chat with eBay Staff board! This board contains past chats with eBay Community team members along with eBay product teams.

For eBay news and information see:

Consider posting on one of these boards for input from fellow eBay members: