cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Chat, Jan 16 from 1:00 pm PT - General Topics

Anonymous
Not applicable

Join us today for our weekly Chat with the Community Team. We will be discussing general topics from 1 to 2 pm Pacific on Jan. 16th. Looking forward to hearing your eBay buying or selling questions slight_smile

Message 1 of 76
latest reply
75 REPLIES 75

Re: Community Chat, Jan 16 from 1:00 pm PT - General Topics

Thank you for your response Trinton. But you won't really be surprised if I don't hold my breath for this fix. Since I have been hearing about it for a long long time now.

But I appreciate being heard, and thank you for sending it out to the techies.

Cece
My Jewels
Message 31 of 76
latest reply

Hoping you can clear this up
With ebay mobile app there have been many posts claiming that the Good till canceled  listings are using up sellers free listings and then some are also getting charged because it is using up their allotment  and then the relists are being charged. 

ebay mobile app keeps posting in different threads that the relists are free for up to 8 relists 
I have asked repeatedly for the policy link & they will not respond.

Can we please get this answered & if it is not correct then Mobile help should not be posting this on the boards.
If it is correct can we be pointed in the direction of the policy so when we are charged we can call CS & direct them to the policy link.

I see the policy link for quick listing will allow the auctions relisted up to 8 times 

but nothing about good till canceled

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/listings/creating-managing-listings/relisting-items?id=4147

If you're using the quick listing tool, auctions with a duration of 5 days or more will be automatically relisted up to 8 times. When you use the quick listing tool, automatic relists do not count towards your zero insertion fee listings balance

Here are just 2  responses by ebay mobile help but there are more
Post # 35

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Mobile-App-iOS/Forced-Good-Till-Canceled/td-p/29095861/page/2

When you list your items with Good Till Cancled it will include 8 free auto relists and these will not be taken out of your monthly listings.

Thanks

Below on message #8 

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Mobile-App-iOS/My-eBay-iPhone-app-doesn-t-have-advanced-listing-option...

Thank you for reporting these issues. Good Till Cancled will give you 8 free relistings that do not count against your monthly listings.

Message 32 of 76
latest reply

@trilkb wrote:

Regarding tires....

I was browsing the listings yesterday and came across item

Looking at the pictures I saw something that startled me. A DOT born on date reading 20 04. For those who dont know this means the tires are born on the 20th month of 2004.

This seller is listing 15 year old tires for the price of $387. Ok you may think thats no problem. Tire manufacturers state tires over 6 years old should be replaced. Most tire manufacturers say that tires stored "correctly" last a maximum of 10 years, after 10 years they are UNSAFE. This seller is asking almost $400 for 15 year old tires. IF they some how sold them and then someone puts them on their vehicle without a tire installer seeing that they are 15 years old, throws them on a 4000lb vehicle, loads up their family and hits the highway at 70+ mph on tires that could blow out at any moment and possibly cause a major accident or fatality.

Ebay should have a section added where anyone selling tires needs to enter a manufacturer DOT born on date, its on every sidewall of every tire. Just like needing a VIN when listing a car forsale. These $387 tires are worthless unless they get put on a show car for a period correct tire, it should be listed that they are not for street use since they are over the maximum limit of 10 years. I think this needs to be addressed immediately because Ebay should not be supporting or allowing someone to benefit from selling an item like this and in all reality they should not be able to list it. Its a major safety hazard in the world we live in and the speeds our vehicles travel. I really would like to see some action taken in regards to this. I spoke to the seller and they think its 100% fine to sell these tires because they are backed by a warranty if one fails, and they hold air. Noone should even have the option to put 15 year old tires on a vehicle weather they are $380 or $15. At the very least there needs to be a warning on the auction that states the tires are over the 10 year maximum age and should not be used for street use. The seller should be required to post a picture of the DOT date as one picture in the auction. If over 10 years old they should be required to list that they are not for street use. I do not want a car traveling next to me with 15yr old tires installed just as much as I do not want them on my vehicle. Im sure you wouldnt want that as well if your family is on the highway. Its an accident waiting to happen.

Please get this post to everyone who needs to be involved to make this change. I dont beleive this has been brought to anyones attention. Sorry for the long post, but I believe Ebay needs to be made aware of it and make the nessecary changes to protect buyers.

Hi @trilkb, I'm happy to pass along this suggestion to the appropriate team. Thanks! 

Brian,
Community Team
Message 33 of 76
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@maxoptical wrote:

My sales to WA state are getting taxed twice.  I am selling using contracted FBA warehouse to fulfill my eBay sales  (NOT RETAIL DROP SHIPPING)  Amazon is forcing sales tax and now eBay is also collecting the same sales tax.  I am taxed twice for the same sale and neither eBay or Amazon has provided any possible solutions.  

Hi @maxoptical, while tax exemptions that would apply to this situation are not currently supported by eBay we are working to provide improvements and this is something on our radar. In the meantime, any applicable credits would need to be requested with the state tax agency.

Message 34 of 76
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@mendelsons wrote:

Why is it that I still have to give guidance to buyers on how to determine the shipping cost for multiple items ?

Could it be there is a problem with the shipping calculator ?  According to eBay - thats a big fat no but according to new buyers it seems to be a general misunderstanding on how to determine the shipping cost for multiple items of the same item.  So if we have 20 in one particular listing and the buyer wants 10 of them the buyer sees a shipping cost for one shipping option only even though we offer 4 shipping options.  The one option they are seeing is the lowest cost one and its usually 1st class mail but when they add 10 to the bag they are seeing the 1st class rate multiplied by 10  even though Priority Mail or UPS Ground is much cheaper.

I get this question several times a week and I'm glad I get it to tell the buyer however how many buyers arent asking this simple question that makes the functionality of the website seem to complexed?  How many missed sales or eBay fees are we missing out on because the buyer cannot seem to operate your shipping calculator.   
If you are seeing high rate of abandoned carts well this is one of your reasons.  

Hi @mendelsons, I will be happy to look into this further for potential improvements to the buyer experience if I can get some examples from you. Would you be able to share some item numbers here? If you would prefer I will email you directly to get this information and test out the experience on my end, no problem.

Message 35 of 76
latest reply

tyler@ebay wrote:

@mam98031 wrote:

tyler@ebay wrote:

@selecttech wrote:

Hi all

Heres a small general question for a planned upcoming vacation. Anyway to delay the two day return policy when we are on a vacation for five days? The store will be on hold but Im just trying to avoid cases and issues for buyers. 

Thanks 

Hi @selecttech - happy upcoming vacation!

Can you get me a bit more clarification on what you mean when you say 'two day return policy'? Are you referring to the time to issue a refund on returned items?

You can definitely alter your return policy for the duration of time while you are gone, but that would only impact items sold during that time.

I think they mean if the buyer opens a Request for Return while the seller is away on vaca, the seller is given a specific amount of time to reply or it the buyer can escalate the case.  If we are on a week long vaca, chances are a claim could be filed and auto refunded to the buyer without the seller even knowing the case existed in the first place.

Thanks for the insight @mam98031! In a store vacation mode, you can block purchase for fixed price listings which should reduce the likelihood of an issue arising while you're gone. In a situation where a refund request is opened for items that were purchased before the vacation, the existing response time would still be enforced. 

If @selecttech isn't in an area where they can review or reply to return requests while out and about on holiday (or would rather not have to worry about it), you could consider either hiding your listings well before you leave, or consider setting up auto-approved returns.  Details below:

To set up an automated return rule:

1. In My eBay, click the Account tab
  2. Click Site preferences
  3. Under Return preferences, click Show, then click Edit
  4. Click Go to advance return rules

How to set up auto-disposition for returns (return automation rules):

2. On the left, select Site preferences, then scroll down to Return preferences
  3. Under Return preferences, click Show, and then click Edit

Additional information:

• You can set up rules to:
    • Automatically approve returns
    • Automatically refund and let the buyer keep the item
  • You can set basic or advanced rules to automate return approvals, and send the buyer an eBay-generated return shipping label immediately
    • If you have a preferred carrier, you have the option to include your own return shipping label and automatically send the tracking information to the buyer

Maybe Ebay could consider an option of notifying the buyer that files a Claim while a seller is on Vaca to request [not mandate] some additional time for the seller to be able to respond upon their return from Vaca.  While when I get the chance for a vaca [as rare as that is], I can't always check the internet for messages.  I try, but it just isn't always possible.  This type of notification to a buyer may be helpful. 

At the very least the buyer won't get the feeling the seller is just ignoring them by not answering, there is actually a reason.  It could make the buyer feel more confident with their seller and the site overall.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 36 of 76
latest reply

@golfingaddict wrote:

I live in Washington state and ebay is now the marketplace that is now collecting state taxes for me (thank you)

I have a couple of questions.

1.  When I pay fees with paypal, it is for the total amount collected.  Is that including the sales tax collected from ebay?

2.  Will we get any report from ebay showing when tax is collected?  (monthly would be nice)

3.  Would ebay please consider tax exempt for resale purchases if/when the buyer provides their state tax business ID?  I can do this on Amazon, just saying....  I do buy some items for resale on ebay and it would be nice to be able to not pay taxes on those items.

4. Is there a statement or agreement that I can refer to when it comes to the new tax process?  It just seems a little uncomfortable to rely on ebay when I have been collecting and remitting sales tax to my state for years.  A statement that I can refer to would be nice.

5.  Some states (your home office California for example) will make you start collecting tax if you go over certain sales dollars or transactions.  Is this information available on ebay somewhere?  Without going through my transactions one by one o, r playing with excel, which I dearly would love to avoid is there a way that ebay can give a report as to where/how many transactions we have had per state in a calendar year?    Is ebay reporting this information state by state, seller by seller?   

I guess what I want overall is more ability to process these reports in seller hub, on ebay.  Is that in the works?

Thank you.

Hi @golfingaddict - you should be paying PayPal fees on funds you collect. Tax is not something that is remitted to you, so should not be included in any fees you pay to them. 

When it comes to your other questions these are ones we've received from multiple folks and have requested clarification with the teams involved. We don't have any other information at this point in time, but can say that the tax Help Page is going to be the best resource for those types of details as they become available. 

Tyler,
eBay
Message 37 of 76
latest reply

@carlqsportscards wrote:

About half the relists I did on Monday had issues with the pictures. It said sometimes it fixes itself in 24 hours. It didn't.

Should I assume I have to add all new pictures now? Is this the same problem from many months ago?

Hi @carlqsportscards! We would need to review the items and the associated error message to have a better idea of what may be going on. I'll send you an email so I can get more details. Thanks!

Brian,
Community Team
Message 38 of 76
latest reply

@trilkb wrote:

Looking at the pictures I saw something that startled me. A DOT born on date reading 20 04. For those who dont know this means the tires are born on the 20th month of 2004.

20th WEEK perhaps?

This seller is listing 15 year old tires for the price of $387. Ok you may think thats no problem. Tire manufacturers state tires over 6 years old should be replaced. Most tire manufacturers say that tires stored "correctly" last a maximum of 10 years, after 10 years they are UNSAFE. This seller is asking almost $400 for 15 year old tires. IF they some how sold them and then someone puts them on their vehicle without a tire installer seeing that they are 15 years old, throws them on a 4000lb vehicle, loads up their family and hits the highway at 70+ mph on tires that could blow out at any moment and possibly cause a major accident or fatality.

I am not buying this level of handwaving about that listing. You are relying way too much on what may be a stock photo of that model of tire. In fact one tire isnt even shown at all - they are selling a pair and even offering a full year warranty. Sorry but given that they appear to have some expertise at selling used tires I do expect that they are weeding out the unsellable ones and listing the good ones. Frankly I do not believe that Instant Death will occur if the older tires are properly installed and used - nor do I see them stating the age of the tires in the listing in the first place - are you relying on the photo alone?

While Ebay probably does have some responsibility to monitor the site for products that are clearly illegal to sell for whatever reason - plus listings like Confederate flags that are legal but which they choose to block - I dont see a practical way to block the sale of tires with old date codes on them. Thats a level of detail for which the customer needs to educate themselves - not rely on Ebay to do it for them.

Message 39 of 76
latest reply

Seems you guys have a friend - it's quite blatant.

Message 40 of 76
latest reply

@labs118 wrote:

Hoping you can clear this up
With ebay mobile app there have been many posts claiming that the Good till canceled  listings are using up sellers free listings and then some are also getting charged because it is using up their allotment  and then the relists are being charged. 

ebay mobile app keeps posting in different threads that the relists are free for up to 8 relists 
I have asked repeatedly for the policy link & they will not respond.

Can we please get this answered & if it is not correct then Mobile help should not be posting this on the boards.
If it is correct can we be pointed in the direction of the policy so when we are charged we can call CS & direct them to the policy link.

I see the policy link for quick listing will allow the auctions relisted up to 8 times 

but nothing about good till canceled

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/listings/creating-managing-listings/relisting-items?id=4147

If you're using the quick listing tool, auctions with a duration of 5 days or more will be automatically relisted up to 8 times. When you use the quick listing tool, automatic relists do not count towards your zero insertion fee listings balance

Here are just 2  responses by ebay mobile help but there are more
Post # 35

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Mobile-App-iOS/Forced-Good-Till-Canceled/td-p/29095861/page/2

When you list your items with Good Till Cancled it will include 8 free auto relists and these will not be taken out of your monthly listings.

Thanks

Below on message #8 

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Mobile-App-iOS/My-eBay-iPhone-app-doesn-t-have-advanced-listing-option...

Thank you for reporting these issues. Good Till Cancled will give you 8 free relistings that do not count against your monthly listings.

Thanks for this @labs118 - I'll work on getting a definitive answer on this from the proper teams involved and update the thread when I have a response. 🙂

Tyler,
eBay
Message 41 of 76
latest reply

Hi Trinton, I would appreciate it if you could take some time to revisit this thread and address some of the questions that were posed. Thank you.

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/Sellers-Beware-of-New-quot-Handy-Assembly-Charge-quot-Feature/...

Message 42 of 76
latest reply

Thank you.

Here's a great example for you to pass along.

1-3 Pounds on a different platform WEIGHT 1 - 3 lbs $6.50 / FedEx

To the same location, same service, same weight group, E-bay Shipping Label Fedex is

Transportation cost:
$17.74
Declared value fee ($12.34): Free
Other charges: $3.65
Your eBay discount (36%):Help
-$4.57
Estimated total: Help
$16.82

Thank you for passing this on! We appreciate it!
Message 43 of 76
latest reply

@globalautodistributors wrote:

Hi again Trinton!

Thank you for passing along my suggestion about the Volume Pricing by Keyword to the right teams. Smiley Happy

Recently I've noticed another glitch when entering catalog compatibility data for a new listing.  If I work on a listing and can't finish it, I usually save it as a draft.  So any catalog data I may have entered gets saved.  HOWEVER, when I revisit the draft, the system doesn't allow me to edit the catalog compatibility details.  Often times, I'll need to edit the data, like add more vehicles, but it's impossible.

The only workaround is to first list the item, THEN go back and revise to edit catalog fitment data.

Thank you for looking into this! 

Thanks for letting us know about this, @globalautodistributors! I'll test this out and get it reported Smiley Happy

Brian,
Community Team
Message 44 of 76
latest reply

@mam98031 wrote:

tyler@ebay wrote:

@mam98031 wrote:

tyler@ebay wrote:

@selecttech wrote:

Hi all

Heres a small general question for a planned upcoming vacation. Anyway to delay the two day return policy when we are on a vacation for five days? The store will be on hold but Im just trying to avoid cases and issues for buyers. 

Thanks 

Hi @selecttech - happy upcoming vacation!

Can you get me a bit more clarification on what you mean when you say 'two day return policy'? Are you referring to the time to issue a refund on returned items?

You can definitely alter your return policy for the duration of time while you are gone, but that would only impact items sold during that time.

I think they mean if the buyer opens a Request for Return while the seller is away on vaca, the seller is given a specific amount of time to reply or it the buyer can escalate the case.  If we are on a week long vaca, chances are a claim could be filed and auto refunded to the buyer without the seller even knowing the case existed in the first place.

Thanks for the insight @mam98031! In a store vacation mode, you can block purchase for fixed price listings which should reduce the likelihood of an issue arising while you're gone. In a situation where a refund request is opened for items that were purchased before the vacation, the existing response time would still be enforced. 

If @selecttech isn't in an area where they can review or reply to return requests while out and about on holiday (or would rather not have to worry about it), you could consider either hiding your listings well before you leave, or consider setting up auto-approved returns.  Details below:

To set up an automated return rule:

2. Click Site preferences
  3. Under Return preferences, click Show, then click Edit
  4. Click Go to advance return rules

How to set up auto-disposition for returns (return automation rules):

2. On the left, select Site preferences, then scroll down to Return preferences
  3. Under Return preferences, click Show, and then click Edit

Additional information:

• You can set up rules to:
    • Automatically approve returns
    • Automatically refund and let the buyer keep the item
  • You can set basic or advanced rules to automate return approvals, and send the buyer an eBay-generated return shipping label immediately
    • If you have a preferred carrier, you have the option to include your own return shipping label and automatically send the tracking information to the buyer

Maybe Ebay could consider an option of notifying the buyer that files a Claim while a seller is on Vaca to request [not mandate] some additional time for the seller to be able to respond upon their return from Vaca.  While when I get the chance for a vaca [as rare as that is], I can't always check the internet for messages.  I try, but it just isn't always possible.  This type of notification to a buyer may be helpful. 

At the very least the buyer won't get the feeling the seller is just ignoring them by not answering, there is actually a reason.  It could make the buyer feel more confident with their seller and the site overall.

I like this a lot @mam98031 - thanks for the input! I'll get this put together as a suggestion for a future enhancement. 🙂

Tyler,
eBay
Message 45 of 76
latest reply
About this Board

Welcome to the Retired Monthly Chat with eBay Staff board! This board contains past chats with eBay Community team members along with eBay product teams.

For eBay news and information see:

Consider posting on one of these boards for input from fellow eBay members: