cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Chat, Jan 16 from 1:00 pm PT - General Topics

Anonymous
Not applicable

Join us today for our weekly Chat with the Community Team. We will be discussing general topics from 1 to 2 pm Pacific on Jan. 16th. Looking forward to hearing your eBay buying or selling questions slight_smile

Message 1 of 76
latest reply
75 REPLIES 75

Re: Community Chat, Jan 16 from 1:00 pm PT - General Topics

Hello.

In regards to shipping costs, shipping labels purchased from E-bay.  On some other smaller Platforms, they have flat rate shipping labels available to their sellers.  Why doesn't E-bay offer something like this as well?  These other smaller Platforms are small time compared to E-bay, so why wouldn't this be something that could be done?

For example, on one platform, a 1-3 pound package regardless of size is only $ 6.50 anywhere in the USA.  But yet on E-bay that price would only cover a label for example with a TRS+ discount for a Small Flat Rate Envelope.

Is there anything that can be done to help its sellers in regards to these high shipping costs we are encountering on a daily basis? 

Many Thanks! 

Message 16 of 76
latest reply

About half the relists I did on Monday had issues with the pictures. It said sometimes it fixes itself in 24 hours. It didn't.

Should I assume I have to add all new pictures now? Is this the same problem from many months ago?

Message 17 of 76
latest reply

@mam98031 wrote:

@beardedbovine wrote:

With the new USPS rates there is no longer a price difference between Commercial Base and Commercial Plus. Will eBay offer a discount to sellers who qualify for CommPlus that will be a cost-savings over the USPS published rates?

That is was one of the perks of being a TRS and it would be a good way eBay could draw back shipping label business that has been taken to 3rd party shipping programs.

USPS did away with the Commercial Plus rates and now offers just the Commercial Base rates.  Ebay can't offer a rate that doesn't exist.  I am with you, I sure wish they could.

But if Ebay could introduce cubic shipping rates that I receive now on other shipping sites - it would make it much easier for myself as a seller. Any plans to institute a cubic rate option?

Message 18 of 76
latest reply

@Anonymous wrote:

@globalautodistributors wrote:

Hi Trinton!

I love the new Volume Pricing feature in Seller Hub, and would like to recommend the option to add Volume Pricing discounts to listings by KEYWORD.  

When you go to Seller Hub, and click Marketing --> Promotions --> Create a Promotion ---> Volume Pricing,
we're given four options to create a bulk volume pricing offer: by SKU, item ID, eBay category, or all inventory. 

Currently there is no option to select listings for the promotion by KEYWORD.  

For example, I sell auto parts and I'd like for all of my items with the keyword "Fuse", or "Light Bulb" in the title for the volume discount pricing to apply.  Instead of taking the time to round up all the item numbers from every fuse or light bulb in my inventory, it sure would be quicker to select all listings with those particular keywords and then apply the desired tiered pricing discounts. 

Another way to go about this is the fact that within seller hub there's a button under the Listings tab that says, "Sell it Faster", to create promoted listings.

How about if creating another button right next to the "Sell it Faster" button that says "Sell with Volume Pricing".  That way, sellers can pull up listings by keyword, and then apply tiered pricing to those listings.

Thank you!

Hi @globalautodistributors, this is a great suggestion! I will get this over to the appropriate team for review. Thanks for sharing examples slight_smile

Along with that, the selection process for Volume pricing is not the easiest or most efficient use of time.  If it could be more like how we select listings in the sales manager or something similar, it would be ever so helpful.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 19 of 76
latest reply

@beardedbovine wrote:

With the new USPS rates there is no longer a price difference between Commercial Base and Commercial Plus. Will eBay offer a discount to sellers who qualify for CommPlus that will be a cost-savings over the USPS published rates?

That is was one of the perks of being a TRS and it would be a good way eBay could draw back shipping label business that has been taken to 3rd party shipping programs.

Sorry, I was looking at the proposed changes where the rates were the same for CommBase and CommPlus.

The finalized rates do show a price difference between Base and Plus.

https://pe.usps.com/cpim/ftp/manuals/dmm300/Notice123.pdf

Message 20 of 76
latest reply

@beardedbovine wrote:

Hey guys,

I'm experiencing 4 different issues with Promoted Listings.

Issue 1:
When I relist (not sell similar) a promoted listing, the listing form acts weird. Sometimes it shows my previously used rate and campaign. Other times it shows the trending rate. I would like it to default to my previous rate.

When I sell similar it always defaults to the trending rate. I would prefer that it default to my previously used rate.

Issue 2:
When I relist (not sell similar) a promoted listing, I set the rate on the listing form and submit the listing... but when I check my active listings, anything that was relisted is not promoted even though I set the promotional rate before submitting it and there was no error message.

Issue 3:
Other times when I relist or sell similar, the campaign box is greyed out on the listing form.
 PL2.jpg

It's not until after the listing is live that I can go in to edit to select a campaign and rate.
 PL3.jpg

Issue 4:
I keep getting the below error message when I list. This happens with new listings, sell similar, and relist. This issue was intermittent at first but it's been happening more often lately.

PL1.jpg

All of these issues are a huge time-waster since I have to go in one-by-one and re-set promotional rates. Within the promotions dashboard there is no way to edit a campaign (the way you can with a regular promotion) and select items to add in bulk.

Hi @beardedbovine! I'll send your feedback for issue 1 along. For issue's 2 and 3 I'll need some item numbers I can look at that are currently experiencing the problems. If you can get some item numbers for issue 4 as well, that would be helpful. I'll send you an email shortly!

Brian,
Community Team
Message 21 of 76
latest reply

My sales to WA state are getting taxed twice.  I am selling using contracted FBA warehouse to fulfill my eBay sales  (NOT RETAIL DROP SHIPPING)  Amazon is forcing sales tax and now eBay is also collecting the same sales tax.  I am taxed twice for the same sale and neither eBay or Amazon has provided any possible solutions.  

Message 22 of 76
latest reply

Why is it that I still have to give guidance to buyers on how to determine the shipping cost for multiple items ?

Could it be there is a problem with the shipping calculator ?  According to eBay - thats a big fat no but according to new buyers it seems to be a general misunderstanding on how to determine the shipping cost for multiple items of the same item.  So if we have 20 in one particular listing and the buyer wants 10 of them the buyer sees a shipping cost for one shipping option only even though we offer 4 shipping options.  The one option they are seeing is the lowest cost one and its usually 1st class mail but when they add 10 to the bag they are seeing the 1st class rate multiplied by 10  even though Priority Mail or UPS Ground is much cheaper.

I get this question several times a week and I'm glad I get it to tell the buyer however how many buyers arent asking this simple question that makes the functionality of the website seem to complexed?  How many missed sales or eBay fees are we missing out on because the buyer cannot seem to operate your shipping calculator.   
If you are seeing high rate of abandoned carts well this is one of your reasons.  

Message 23 of 76
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@wisconsinstreasures wrote:

Hello.

In regards to shipping costs, shipping labels purchased from E-bay.  On some other smaller Platforms, they have flat rate shipping labels available to their sellers.  Why doesn't E-bay offer something like this as well?  These other smaller Platforms are small time compared to E-bay, so why wouldn't this be something that could be done?

For example, on one platform, a 1-3 pound package regardless of size is only $ 6.50 anywhere in the USA.  But yet on E-bay that price would only cover a label for example with a TRS+ discount for a Small Flat Rate Envelope.

Is there anything that can be done to help its sellers in regards to these high shipping costs we are encountering on a daily basis? 

Many Thanks! 

Hi @wisconsinstreasures, while we cannot speak for other platforms, I can confirm that we work closely with the major carriers to negotiate rates for our Community. I'll be sure to pass along your feedback and this example to the appropriate teams for reference as we strive towards providing the best value to you in the future.

Message 24 of 76
latest reply

@wisconsinstreasures wrote:

Many Thanks! 

Wow! That sounds great. How can I access that platform?

Message 25 of 76
latest reply

Hi again Trinton!

Thank you for passing along my suggestion about the Volume Pricing by Keyword to the right teams. Smiley Happy

Recently I've noticed another glitch when entering catalog compatibility data for a new listing.  If I work on a listing and can't finish it, I usually save it as a draft.  So any catalog data I may have entered gets saved.  HOWEVER, when I revisit the draft, the system doesn't allow me to edit the catalog compatibility details.  Often times, I'll need to edit the data, like add more vehicles, but it's impossible.

The only workaround is to first list the item, THEN go back and revise to edit catalog fitment data.

Thank you for looking into this! 

Message 26 of 76
latest reply

brian@ebay wrote:

@beardedbovine wrote:

Hey guys,

I'm experiencing 4 different issues with Promoted Listings.

Hi @beardedbovine! I'll send your feedback for issue 1 along. For issue's 2 and 3 I'll need some item numbers I can look at that are currently experiencing the problems. If you can get some item numbers for issue 4 as well, that would be helpful. I'll send you an email shortly!

brian@ebay

I'll look for your e-mail. Can you also contact tunicaslot for item numbers since they posted about having the same problems? Thanks!

Message 27 of 76
latest reply

Good afternoon Team:

New Label Printing Page - Not Good

Imagine my surprise when I got the following error message when I went to print a label today …

Something went wrong.jpg

I was hopeful that the new label printing page had finally been shut down … but alas, it opened again on the next label I printed. The new page really has to be canned or give Sellers the option to opt OUT of it so it does not even show up. When this first came out the old page stopped working and the new page worked (and still does) horribly. In order to print labels I have to log in to PayPal because the handshake between eBay and PayPal fails every time. I did NOT have to do that with the old page so the issue is not here.

Seriously, programming is supposed to help folks do more tasks quicker, the new label page is going backwards taking LONGER to print a label. It:

1. Requires more scrolling
  2. Has a slower refresh rate
  3. Does NOT bring up other shipping choices in the same order each time
  4. The 3 item quick list of shipping options NEVER has the other shipping choices I use, ONLY the one selected by the Buyer and then 2 other random choices (that I never use)
  5. Does NOT show the Seller’s shipping cost, only the amount paid after their savings and a silly, light colored, fine print statement about how much they saved … I want to see the counter rate then the discounted rate LIKE the old format.

Folks, this thing is really bad and has been tolerated for quite some time … please get rid of it …

Regards,
Mr. Lincoln - Community Mentor
Message 28 of 76
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@tunicaslot wrote:

@mam98031 wrote:

@beardedbovine wrote:

USPS did away with the Commercial Plus rates and now offers just the Commercial Base rates.  Ebay can't offer a rate that doesn't exist.  I am with you, I sure wish they could.

But if Ebay could introduce cubic shipping rates that I receive now on other shipping sites - it would make it much easier for myself as a seller. Any plans to institute a cubic rate option?

Hi @tunicaslot, while we have no plans to announce at this time, I'm happy to pass this along to our shipping teams for consideration!

Message 29 of 76
latest reply

@mam98031 wrote:

tyler@ebay wrote:

@selecttech wrote:

Hi all

Heres a small general question for a planned upcoming vacation. Anyway to delay the two day return policy when we are on a vacation for five days? The store will be on hold but Im just trying to avoid cases and issues for buyers. 

Thanks 

Hi @selecttech - happy upcoming vacation!

Can you get me a bit more clarification on what you mean when you say 'two day return policy'? Are you referring to the time to issue a refund on returned items?

You can definitely alter your return policy for the duration of time while you are gone, but that would only impact items sold during that time.

I think they mean if the buyer opens a Request for Return while the seller is away on vaca, the seller is given a specific amount of time to reply or it the buyer can escalate the case.  If we are on a week long vaca, chances are a claim could be filed and auto refunded to the buyer without the seller even knowing the case existed in the first place.

Thanks for the insight @mam98031! In a store vacation mode, you can block purchase for fixed price listings which should reduce the likelihood of an issue arising while you're gone. In a situation where a refund request is opened for items that were purchased before the vacation, the existing response time would still be enforced. 

If @selecttech isn't in an area where they can review or reply to return requests while out and about on holiday (or would rather not have to worry about it), you could consider either hiding your listings well before you leave, or consider setting up auto-approved returns.  Details below:

To set up an automated return rule:

1. In My eBay, click the Account tab
  2. Click Site preferences
  3. Under Return preferences, click Show, then click Edit
  4. Click Go to advance return rules

How to set up auto-disposition for returns (return automation rules):

1. In My eBay, click the Account tab
  2. On the left, select Site preferences, then scroll down to Return preferences
  3. Under Return preferences, click Show, and then click Edit

Additional information:

• You can set up rules to:
    • Automatically approve returns
    • Automatically refund and let the buyer keep the item
  • You can set basic or advanced rules to automate return approvals, and send the buyer an eBay-generated return shipping label immediately
    • If you have a preferred carrier, you have the option to include your own return shipping label and automatically send the tracking information to the buyer
Tyler,
eBay
Message 30 of 76
latest reply
About this Board

Welcome to the Retired Monthly Chat with eBay Staff board! This board contains past chats with eBay Community team members along with eBay product teams.

For eBay news and information see:

Consider posting on one of these boards for input from fellow eBay members: