cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What happened to updates on SELLER PROTECTION.

Why is there nothing on Seller Protection in this update?  We've been told by Ebay that improvements will be coming in 2020.  Why not start now?  Why do we have to continue to wait for Ebay to pay attention to this very SERIOUS matter?

Ebay wants the GMV to grow, enable the sellers to feel protected in listing high value items here.  Otherwise continue to watch the GMV decline as more and more seller lose money to the lack of seller protection and Ebay's current policy in ruling for a buyer in the vast majority of INADs no matter how much evidence the seller has.  Why would sellers risk their time and money in such a climate.

And for sellers of lower $$ value items, it isn't a lot different.  We can't afford it either.  Right now the current state of the Return policies on Ebay is a free for all to buyers in far too many cases.  It breeds and perpetuates the bad behavior of buyers.  So with Ebay's help, this issue continues to grow with no relief in site for sellers.

What the heck happened?  Why is Ebay not taking this issue seriously?

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

They are.
Buyers now get even more 'protections', longer time frames for returns and don't even have to contact ebay to have cases closed in their favor.

What more could you ask for?

/sarcasm font off

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

@mam98031 wrote:

Why is there nothing on Seller Protection in this update?  We've been told by Ebay that improvements will be coming in 2020.  Why not start now?  Why do we have to continue to wait for Ebay to pay attention to this very SERIOUS matter?

Ebay wants the GMV to grow, enable the sellers to feel protected in listing high value items here.  Otherwise continue to watch the GMV decline as more and more seller lose money to the lack of seller protection and Ebay's current policy in ruling for a buyer in the vast majority of INADs no matter how much evidence the seller has.  Why would sellers risk their time and money in such a climate.

And for sellers of lower $$ value items, it isn't a lot different.  We can't afford it either.  Right now the current state of the Return policies on Ebay is a free for all to buyers in far too many cases.  It breeds and perpetuates the bad behavior of buyers.  So with Ebay's help, this issue continues to grow with no relief in site for sellers.

What the heck happened?  Why is Ebay not taking this issue seriously?

Because once again it is nothing more than lip service regarding Seller Protections.  This is what it has been since Donohoe took over and the current BOD still has no idea how to run an Ecommerce site.  Ebay seems to be looking towards selling the company down the road as they are now doing all they can to try and increase the number of buyers on their site by allowing them to scam sellers easier and easier with every update.  Elliott had stated in their open letter that the money from the sale of Stub Hub would be used to fix the marketplace, instead it is going to be used to buy back more Ebay Stock to try and bolster the price for the Shareholders of which they are one of the larger ones.  Just another company lying about their intentions all along to try and gain support for their actions.  Then Corporate America wonders why there are more and more lawsuits starting to be filed against them.  

Did you really believe that Ebay was going to add any Seller Protections of real value?

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

Since there is no 'evidence' that can be used as it all can be created.

What about giving ebay some ideas? 

Sellers with over $10k in sales for 2+ years with 97% feedback ratings and 0.0% Returns that "Ebay had to step in and handle" then get a 'special badge' that certifies they are 100% honest? 

Develop an 'Escrow' facility, similar to Global Shipping in Kentucky, that, although slows down the delivery process, verifies items being shipped with a sale over $2000? 

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

Yes I did and I am neither uninformed of naive on the subject.  But yes, I thought they would make some moves on this, but clearly I was wrong.  I did not think they would resolve everything, but I did think they would do something.

Instead of paying any attention to the inequities of the return system on sellers, they felt it was more important to strengthen the protections for buyers.  To me that speaks VOLUMES to sellers.  And certainly NOT in a good way.  It is VERY VERY clear that Ebay does not think that our concerns are legitimate.  

Ebay will learn as the GMV is likely to continue to fall as more and more sellers refuse to be put at such a high financial risk that Ebay seems driven to continue with the practice.

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

Part of Ebay Spring seller protection, that I found interesting...

"Changes to handling return requests that appear abandoned

Starting April 1, 2020, we will no longer close returns early at the request of a seller when the buyer has not shipped the item back. Instead, we will wait to ensure buyers have sufficient time to provide proof items they requested to return were shipped back. If we do not receive proof of shipment from your buyers while the return requests are active, we will protect you by removing any negative or neutral feedback left on that transaction.

Changes to handling “Item not as described” return requests for all sellers

eBay Money Back Guarantee requires sellers to respond within 3 business days when buyers request to return items that don't match listing descriptions. When you do not respond, we may refund the buyer and seek reimbursement from you without requiring the buyer to ship the item back. Starting June 1, 2020, we may decide these cases after the 3 business days elapse without requiring the buyer to contact eBay."

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

You may want to take a peek at another related subject.

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Updates-to-how-you-service/Changes-to-handling-Item-not-as-described-r...

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

@corvettestainless wrote:

Since there is no 'evidence' that can be used as it all can be created.

Not 100% true. I have had buyers admit the reason they claimed INAD, the buyer send pictures verifying they got what they ordered, but it just didn't fit them and ebay did nothing. The buyer has no reason to send or create evidence in my favor. Another INAD claim literally just said "no", nothing saying what was wrong, why, etc---yet ebay approves without asking a single question. 

Message 8 of 8
latest reply