cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changes to handling “Item not as described” return requests for all sellers!|!|!

This policy change reads as follows.

eBay Money Back Guarantee requires sellers to respond within 3 business days when buyers request to return items that don't match listing descriptions. When you do not respond, we may refund the buyer and seek reimbursement from you without requiring the buyer to ship the item back. Starting June 1, 2020, we may decide these cases after the 3 business days elapse without requiring the buyer to contact eBay.

Does this mean that Ebay will look at communications within the claim ONLY or will also look at emails within the M2M system?  If it is only in the claim itself, what is a seller to do if the claim doesn't allow for communication between the buyer and seller?  

I've not found the logic to this, but I have received INADs that allow for communication between the buyer and seller BEFORE the seller accepts the INAD.  But I've also had some that were auto accepted by Ebay and no communication was allowed within the claim between the buyer and seller.

So if Ebay is going to implement this, are they also changing the return system to allow for communication between the buyer and seller on ALL INADS?

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Changes to handling “Item not as described” return requests for all sellers!|!|!

@mam98031 wrote:

eBay Money Back Guarantee requires sellers to respond within 3 business days when buyers request to return items that don't match listing descriptions. When you do not respond, we may refund the buyer and seek reimbursement from you without requiring the buyer to ship the item back. Starting June 1, 2020, we may decide these cases after the 3 business days elapse without requiring the buyer to contact eBay.

Does this mean that Ebay will look at communications within the claim ONLY or will also look at emails within the M2M system?  If it is only in the claim itself, what is a seller to do if the claim doesn't allow for communication between the buyer and seller?  

I've not found the logic to this, but I have received INADs that allow for communication between the buyer and seller BEFORE the seller accepts the INAD.  But I've also had some that were auto accepted by Ebay and no communication was allowed within the claim between the buyer and seller.

So if Ebay is going to implement this, are they also changing the return system to allow for communication between the buyer and seller on ALL INADS?

Any acceptance, including an auto-acceptance from eBay, counts as a response. So in the situation you describe where we've auto-accepted a return and messages in the Return Details are disabled, you have nothing to worry about. Those returns won't be impacted by this change. 

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

@steven.cal wrote:

@mam98031 wrote:

Any acceptance, including an auto-acceptance from eBay, counts as a response. So in the situation you describe where we've auto-accepted a return and messages in the Return Details are disabled, you have nothing to worry about. Those returns won't be impacted by this change. 

Thank you.

Is Ebay only counting communication between the buyer and seller within the claim itself, or do they also consider communication in M2M between the buyer and seller AFTER the claim was opened?

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

A bit confusing as a NAD return does not require a 'response', auto or otherwise, from the seller. Seller has to provide a label for the buyer and I'm guessing it's safe to assume if the seller does not 'purchase' or 'authorize' a return label, something that is automated,  in the 3 days, the case is closed and buyer is refunded? 

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

@corvettestainless wrote:

A bit confusing as a NAD return does not require a 'response', auto or otherwise, from the seller. Seller has to provide a label for the buyer and I'm guessing it's safe to assume if the seller does not 'purchase' or 'authorize' a return label, something that is automated,  in the 3 days, the case is closed and buyer is refunded? 

Some do.  Some are auto accepted, so no 3 days to respond would apply.  Others do require the seller to accept them or send the buyer a communication.  If the return label is authorized, that is the same as accepting the return request and therefore is a response.

Message 5 of 5
latest reply