cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sufficient time for buyer to return

From the announcement...

"Starting April 1, 2020, we will no longer close returns early at the request of a seller when the buyer has not shipped the item back. Instead, we will wait to ensure buyers have sufficient time to provide proof items they requested to return were shipped back. If we do not receive proof of shipment from your buyers while the return requests are active, we will protect you by removing any negative or neutral feedback left on that transaction."

Could you please define "sufficient time".

Message 1 of 71
latest reply
70 REPLIES 70

@walnut412 

It's similar to the current glitch that is in place for non paying buyers. You have to wait 4 days for payment before you can open a Non Paying Buyer and then another 4 days before you can close. Meanwhile you are left hanging in the wind maybe losing out on a potential buyer that was willing to pay immediately and now has probably gone elsewhere to find their item. Sometimes you just know a buyer has no intention of paying. At least in the past when folks used auctions, you could message a person and find out if they still had interest or if you had 2 of an item send a 2nd chance offer.

-Lotz

Message 16 of 71
latest reply

"Fortunately I issue all my return labels through Ebay, but for those that don't, this is a REALLY REALLY long period of time to have a return hanging out there."

I agree, same with me, but if the return is not INAD, in other words we did not purchase them a label, its a remorse return they have options to send back either through ebay or otherwise, they have perhaps 7 weeks?? Is this correct?

I am wondering because I have, in 20 years, never returned anything on ebay.

Message 17 of 71
latest reply

It's all about the buyer... as usual. One more risk factor to add to the mix, let's see, PayPal keeping refund fees, PayPal charging a processing fee on sales tax though we never see it, empty box return, damaged item return, seller metrics from fake INADs increasing fees by 50%, and now near-forever returns.

I just keep adding more listings elsewhere, not that eBay tracks that kind of "noise!"
Message 18 of 71
latest reply

@lotzofuniquegoodies wrote:

@walnut412 

It's similar to the current glitch that is in place for non paying buyers. You have to wait 4 days for payment before you can open a Non Paying Buyer and then another 4 days before you can close. Meanwhile you are left hanging in the wind maybe losing out on a potential buyer that was willing to pay immediately and now has probably gone elsewhere to find their item. Sometimes you just know a buyer has no intention of paying. At least in the past when folks used auctions, you could message a person and find out if they still had interest or if you had 2 of an item send a 2nd chance offer.

-Lotz

@lotzofuniquegoodies 

That is NOT a "glitch".  That is how the program is designed and described in the policy pages.  Several years ago they improved it as it was much worse.  We use to not be able to open a UID for 7 days and then had to wait another 7 days before we could close it if payment didn't arrive.  So the updated policy of a few years ago is far better than the original one.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 19 of 71
latest reply

I have a headache.... For months they have been telling us about the great protections for sellers that are coming....just wait they said.... we are partners.... we have your back..... I am so disappointed with ebay.  I kinda hope they are being sold off so that we can get a management team that actually understands the business and the needs of its customers. Get out of your bubble and start to realize the damage that the AI search engine has done by limiting visibility to actual searches and get out of the way of us businesses that just want sell our goods to customers that want to buy them. 

BTW - industry standard on returns is actually shortening. Amazon and Walmart and most other retailers are making it harder to return items by requiring a buyer to return to a brick and mortar store while ebay is making it easier to drag out return for 35 days??????

Message 20 of 71
latest reply

@mam98031 

I'm just not a fan of being left in limbo. I get billed immediately for FVF's and then have to wait 8 days for someone that has no intention of paying. They are usually random 1 of buyers. They more than likely will never be back.

-Lotz

Message 21 of 71
latest reply

@esg-enterprises wrote:

"Fortunately I issue all my return labels through Ebay, but for those that don't, this is a REALLY REALLY long period of time to have a return hanging out there."

I agree, same with me, but if the return is not INAD, in other words we did not purchase them a label, its a remorse return they have options to send back either through ebay or otherwise, they have perhaps 7 weeks?? Is this correct?

I am wondering because I have, in 20 years, never returned anything on ebay.

OH, now that is a REALLY GOOD QUESTION!!!!  

@steven.cal 

How does this new policy affect Buyer Remorse Returns, if it affects them???  Is the policy page going to clearly state what types of returns this policy covers or is it going to be left without clarity?

Message 22 of 71
latest reply

Let me see if I can re-write the Update to truthfully and clearly reflect the changes. eBay, correct me if this is wrong:

We have increased the period of time a buyer has to return an item from from 5 business days to 15 business days as long as the buyer prints an eBay-generated label with 10 days of requesting the return. When buyers are not sent an eBay-generated return label, we have increased the return period to 35 business days.

Message 23 of 71
latest reply

@steven.cal wrote:

@tealt wrote:

From the announcement...

"Starting April 1, 2020, we will no longer close returns early at the request of a seller when the buyer has not shipped the item back. Instead, we will wait to ensure buyers have sufficient time to provide proof items they requested to return were shipped back. If we do not receive proof of shipment from your buyers while the return requests are active, we will protect you by removing any negative or neutral feedback left on that transaction."

When buyers are sent an eBay-generated return label, the return is closed if the label is not printed within 10 business days. If the buyer prints the label, we allow the return to remain open an additional 5 business days to ensure shipping scans are captured.  When buyers are not sent an eBay-generated return label, we wait up to 35 business days before closing the return.

@steven.cal  
I didn't understand the seller update for this myself, but thanks for clarifying, however, I do have a concern that no one ever seems to address on returns...maybe you can comment on this? 
When a buyer activates a return, I have free returns on most all my items, the cost of that shipping is applied to my monthly invoice for the postage the buyer uses to print a return label. However, prior, the limit was 5 days for buyer to get item back to seller, initiating a return via First Class or Priority Mail options. I sell a lot of Vinyl in the music category, I offer free shipping/free returns, however I ship free via USPS Media Mail, never had a return in this category but if I did I would like to know that since ebay is extended the time the buyer has to get item back to seller on a return from 5 to 10 days will ebay please consider having the buyers return for postage the seller is paying for to be returned via same option it was sen, so in this case: Media Category (Books, Vinyl, CD's) - Media Mail return to seller instead of charging the seller 3x the cost to ship it back priority mail and loose A TON of money!? 

The great truth is there isn't one
And it only gets worse since that conclusion...
...There is something about the rigid posture of a proper, authentic blind
As if extended arms reached to pass his blindness onto others.
Message 24 of 71
latest reply

@mam98031 wrote:

@steven.cal wrote:

@tealt wrote:

From the announcement...

When buyers are sent an eBay-generated return label, the return is closed if the label is not printed within 10 business days. If the buyer prints the label, we allow the return to remain open an additional 5 business days to ensure shipping scans are captured.  When buyers are not sent an eBay-generated return label, we wait up to 35 business days before closing the return.

35 business days is so extreme.  How and why did Ebay settle on that number?  35 business days = approximately SEVEN weeks.

Fortunately I issue all my return labels through Ebay, but for those that don't, this is a REALLY REALLY long period of time to have a return hanging out there.  What possible good can come from a policy like that??

This is Ebays way to try and increase revenues by forcing Sellers to use Ebay return labels where the cost is much higher than the other services return labels.  Once again Ebay trying every trick in the book to take more money out of Sellers pockets as they stated they would in the release of the 1st quarter 2019 Wall Street Analysis.  

I wish they would fix their platform and search engine so that buyers can find what they want instead of what Ebay wants to sell them.  This would increase sales drastically and would result in more money for both Ebay and the Sellers.  But Ebay seems intent on cutting costs while increasing revenues from reduced sales.  A lose - lose situation for all Sellers as usual when Ebay issues Seller Updates.

Message 25 of 71
latest reply

@twnpopcards wrote:

@mam98031 wrote:

@steven.cal wrote:

@tealt wrote:

From the announcement...

35 business days is so extreme.  How and why did Ebay settle on that number?  35 business days = approximately SEVEN weeks.

Fortunately I issue all my return labels through Ebay, but for those that don't, this is a REALLY REALLY long period of time to have a return hanging out there.  What possible good can come from a policy like that??

This is Ebays way to try and increase revenues by forcing Sellers to use Ebay return labels where the cost is much higher than the other services return labels.  Once again Ebay trying every trick in the book to take more money out of Sellers pockets as they stated they would in the release of the 1st quarter 2019 Wall Street Analysis.  

I wish they would fix their platform and search engine so that buyers can find what they want instead of what Ebay wants to sell them.  This would increase sales drastically and would result in more money for both Ebay and the Sellers.  But Ebay seems intent on cutting costs while increasing revenues from reduced sales.  A lose - lose situation for all Sellers as usual when Ebay issues Seller Updates.

That isn't my experience.  I have not found the return labels to cost me more through Ebay.  I know other sellers have, but for me, this is a non issue.

Message 26 of 71
latest reply

@esg-enterprises wrote:

Trinton, 

Buyers have to initiate a label once it is purchased? So does this mean that a buyer opens a return, I accept, and then does nothing for 35 days it remains open?

Theoretically they then print label on day 30 and the now have up to 15 more days to send back?

Is this correct?

Again, while other companies are discouraging returns, why does ebay continue to go the other way?

The return wouldn't stay open that long. If the buyer doesn't print the label, we'll close the request 10 business after the return was opened. So the buyer won't have the option to print the label on day 30 as the return will have already closed. 

If the buyer does print, we'll wait 15 days from open to close the request if we don't see a ship scan.

Message 27 of 71
latest reply

@steven.cal wrote:

@esg-enterprises wrote:

Trinton, 

Buyers have to initiate a label once it is purchased? So does this mean that a buyer opens a return, I accept, and then does nothing for 35 days it remains open?

Theoretically they then print label on day 30 and the now have up to 15 more days to send back?

Is this correct?

Again, while other companies are discouraging returns, why does ebay continue to go the other way?

The return wouldn't stay open that long. If the buyer doesn't print the label, we'll close the request 10 business after the return was opened. So the buyer won't have the option to print the label on day 30 as the return will have already closed. 

If the buyer does print, we'll wait 15 days from open to close the request if we don't see a ship scan.

@steven.cal 

15 days or 15 business days?

Message 28 of 71
latest reply

Just posting to the thread in general.  Does a seller even qualify for a Final Value Fee refund if that return refund is given after the 30 day mark, when a buyer has the 35 day window?  

Message 29 of 71
latest reply

I have a real problem with this since I issue my own return label.
The buyer gets 30 days and free returns. Now I have to give them an additional 7 weeks to complete the return???
THAT IS LUDICROUS!
Who came up with that??
It's just a way for force sellers to use eBay labels as twnpopcards stated.
I will not use them as they don't insure properly nor are they the correct weights for my high dollar items.
eBay forces these stupid policies on sellers, but take NO responsibility in the transaction except keep their hands out for more money.
I pay eBay thousands of dollars every month to have this thrown at me!
Way to have our backs eBay!!
Message 30 of 71
latest reply