cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SELLING ON EBAY FOR OTHERS ON COMMISSION

walkerfarm1108
Enthusiast
Word has gotten out in my small rural community that I am selling on eBay and I've been approached to sell a couple of items for someone else on commission. I read somewhere that some people do this for 20% if the item sells. I'm just wondering if any of you have experience with this and if you do, do you charge to ship the item for them? Do you list under your ID? Is it worth the effort, since time listing for someone else is time taken from my own listings. Anything you can educate me about, before I take this step, I'd like to know. Thanks.
Message 1 of 129
latest reply
128 REPLIES 128

Could you please send me your spreadsheet.  kbusic@q.com  Thanks so much in advance.

Message 121 of 129
latest reply

I’ve not posted on this forum except for once and I never saw it so I hope I am responding to the right person.  If I am not I apologize, but it’s for the spreadsheet you were saying your friend made for you. 

I’m interested in doing consignment work for people who want to get rid of their stuff but have no idea how to sell on eBay so I think that might be helpful and I’m going to find some sort of contract somewhere online for us both to fill it out so nobody feels like they get screwed in the deal. 

I appreciate and love reading these posts because I’m getting really good information on what to do! 

Message 122 of 129
latest reply

I just realized I never checked back on these messages about selling on ebay for others, oops, ugh. Is it possible for anyone to send the spreadsheet that's being talked about. I really have no idea where to start with that. I don't even know how much to charge people if I sell for them. I have a couple of people I know, mostly family, who have lots of stuff and don't want to go through the trouble of posting it so they've asked me if I would be interested.

Not sure what to charge them though. I'm thinking I would give my friends and family a better deal than a complete stranger though (I would be interested in posting stuff for other people a lot in the future). I'm told I could charge anywhere from 30-50%. Anybody have thoughts on this?

Thanks! 

Message 123 of 129
latest reply

Hi,

id live to see your spread sheet. I’m trying to figure out  the correct way to do that.

thank you

michael

michaelhordpv@gmail.com

Message 124 of 129
latest reply

I would like the same answer that you would. I think it can be a lucrative thing if you've got the right items. So you just kind of have to pick and choose and do a little bit of research on the items that you want to list for somebody else before even going through the whole procedure I would imagine. But if you got the time and the patience it can be a great way to make some extra income if nothing else I just enjoy the restoration of older things cleaning and preservation of History basically that's how I look at it. But there's got to be some sort of asset fee maybe hourly for your time you know even if something doesn't sell and keep in mind eBay will let you relist things up to you know a certain amount of time said no charge. So take advantage of that and change it lower the price get better pictures more detail on the items I found it that works. But research in the product before you even agree to sell it that's the most important thing and then trip to the Post Office and mail it off and if you accept credit cards that's even quicker then PayPal in most cases

Message 125 of 129
latest reply

That's certainly a good point that's exactly what I thought when I had taken on some things for a customer of mine that I knew were worth something and she wanted me to throw them out. And actually just one action figure that I had found this to be thrown away for 1996 brought in $100 so you can I got to pick her own battles in the hardest part of it is just responding back emails finding the right things to sell and having the patience to do so but I see where you're coming from

Message 126 of 129
latest reply

A single mom down on her luck has asked me to sell some items from her late husband's hobbies. I want to help her but I'm unsure of the ultimate cost  to me in selling these items. Your spreadsheet would be a godsend and let me proceed in doing a good deed without reservations. Thanks,

Tom

rizmaster1@aol.com

Message 127 of 129
latest reply

First I would recommend on having a written agreement with this person.  What I normally do is explain that you must keep the item with your inventory (on hand and wouldnt do it any other way).  If they want to give you the price, just research it and compare if its reasonable or not.  Tell the owner of the items that you will sell it and minus ebay fees, shipping fees and paypal fees. From that you would take 30%-50% commissions.  It may seem like a lot but I would lean more toward 50%.  Basically the reason why is chances are you are gonna get more for the item than the individual would actually be getting selling locally or taking it to a pawn shop.  

Message 128 of 129
latest reply

You've gotten lots of comments so I'm only writing a bit to throw in my two cents. I've been selling items for other friends for a few years now. I charge 20% plus eBay/PP fees. All of my friends are happy because it is stuff they no longer wanted and would have donated but now they make a few bucks back. 

I have all inventory at my house so I can ship directly and answer questions. I also photograph them myself so I can stage the photos accordingly. I've never had an issue but then again I only sell for friends of mine. I create a spreadsheet with every items and amounts listed. I email them as items are sold and always send an updated spreadsheet to them. 

I have fun, my friends make extra money, I also get extra money for my efforts, many times buyers will come back and purchase one of my items. I have no regrets and often think of taking on more "customers". So that's been my experience, you can see others have different opinions. I say go for it and wish you the best of luck....

Message 129 of 129
latest reply