cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SELLING ON EBAY FOR OTHERS ON COMMISSION

walkerfarm1108
Enthusiast
Word has gotten out in my small rural community that I am selling on eBay and I've been approached to sell a couple of items for someone else on commission. I read somewhere that some people do this for 20% if the item sells. I'm just wondering if any of you have experience with this and if you do, do you charge to ship the item for them? Do you list under your ID? Is it worth the effort, since time listing for someone else is time taken from my own listings. Anything you can educate me about, before I take this step, I'd like to know. Thanks.
Message 1 of 129
latest reply
128 REPLIES 128

bendit60453
Enthusiast
In my Chicago-area suburb, there's someone who has made a business of this, with his/her own storefront business. People bring in their items, and for a fee, these folks take care of listing, selling, and shipping.
Message 2 of 129
latest reply

amc_upd8
Enthusiast
Do it at your own risk. Any problems you have with the buyers regarding merchandise that is not in your control... will reflect back on YOU.

Unless you know the person well, I'd advise you to politely decline.

If you decide to go ahead, make sure you have the item in your possession and that you will control when and how it is shipped to the buyer.
Message 3 of 129
latest reply

66fourdoor
Enthusiast
I tried it with my friend's compressor and Corvette, listed both of those on Ebay- it was kind of awkward because the bidders emailed me, when I gave the owner's phone number in the auction- and said to call him. It was ok I guess, but you better know the owner really well, and he/she must be a reasonable person. Overall I would not want to deal in one of the Ebay drop off gigs, because people would bring you junk a lot of times- and lately a lot of stuff goes with no bids- and the owner sure as heck isn't going to refund your costs of listing fees. It could be a big loser.

Lately it just seems every category is clogged with merchandise- there's a ton of listings but not enough bidders to go around.
Message 4 of 129
latest reply

amc_upd8
Enthusiast
and the owner sure as heck isn't going to refund your costs of listing fees.

Get the listing fees upfront. Your agreement with the owner should include the fact that they pay your listing fees whether or not the item sells.

Subtract the final value fee from any money you give to the owner at the end of the transaction.
Message 5 of 129
latest reply

walkerfarm1108
Enthusiast
The man I am dealing with is very trustworthy and I don't foresee any problems there. However, you are giving me a lot of food for thought should I decide to branch out. I don't think I would want to take on a huge inventory, maybe just for people I know and feel secure about their honesty. Keep the thoughts coming, though -- you all have good ideas.
Message 6 of 129
latest reply

b-woods0
Enthusiast
I sell for others in a small town and have never had any problems. Maybe it's the small town thing. I charge 25% plus all fees. ebay and paypal. I want the item because buyers do email and ask questions plus I want to make sure the item is shipped. I have sold quite a few high end items (in the $6000. range) and have sold abut 6 vehicles for other. When you sell vehicles you gets lots of email and I have learned alot about cars. Never had a problem and all positive feedback. Only thing is I do not sell junk. I tell them if it is worth selling.

Good Luck
Message 7 of 129
latest reply

66fourdoor
Enthusiast
I'd have to disagree with one poster- the owner in my case paid the listing fees up front no problem, then also gave me $50 for each item when it sold.

But what's $100 today ? That's lunch money for a high school kid for a month.

Not worth it.
Message 8 of 129
latest reply

Hi,I sell 1970's unused sewing items for a 87 year old lady and she gives me 50% of the sales.She is the one who came up with that amount.She knows it takes a lot of my time to sell it.Now one of her friends wants me to sell their antiques,something I know nothing about.I dont know about selling something I dont know nothing about.
Message 9 of 129
latest reply

need*some*00ff00
Enthusiast
http://forums.ebay.com/db1/forum.jspa?forumID=106

There's all the information you will ever need.

Message 10 of 129
latest reply

foxielady2005
Enthusiast
Boy, you'll have given me food for though. I guess selling for others is really up to me. But atlest I have some idea what to charge. Thanks alot you'll.foxielady2005
Message 11 of 129
latest reply

jakegrande88_123
Enthusiast
Dont do it they are friends and neighbors till theres a problem, then its your fault and your screwing them. I just got done with similar experiences, buying for older folks scarred of internet or without a bank accnt or credit card and i didnt charge interst that card company charged me. they want info you dont have, if the seller takes to long, sends wrong item or item not as described or you sell and tell them and then you never receive payment then your ripping them off OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I Was ordering old folks hearing aids , and batteries trying to do good and was such a head ache every day i had to re explain what handling time was and keep reminding them of the estimated delivery. Trust me do not do it, they promise to be patient , but dont want to wait for funds to clear. Ive started people ebay accounts and taught them what to do and still headaches. Not trying to be rude but its a good way to start problems and then your working for ebay for free, people spread rumors that they cant even explain how you ripped them off....
Maybee it will be better for you tho but just letting you know it can go downhill fast and then you have new headaches just for trying to help teach em let them do it themselves. best of luck
Message 12 of 129
latest reply

You should try selling something you know nothing about.  I just sold about 20 pieces of camera-related equipment and did a good job!  I knew nothing about zoom lenes, etc., but after my research I was able to list with reasonable prices.  I just copied the specifications from the boxes or manuals of the items into the listings.  Make sure you have awesome pictures and make sure you try to answer all questions.  If you aren't sure something works, be up front about it and offer a refund.  You can do it!

Message 13 of 129
latest reply

Cricket has some great advice on here. Sell what you know and if you dont know do the research. I dont recommend against selling for other people as long as you can manage the potential risks. Any sale requires support of some level. I sell on a hobby account and for a business that sells software and hardware. The plan of attack is to have a percentage set per client. I prefer my commission is taken from whats left of the NET. I even have a cool spreadsheet my friend made for me. I am willing to share with those interested.
Message 14 of 129
latest reply

lacey*bell
Scout

That OP is FIVE years old.

Message 15 of 129
latest reply