cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SELLING ON EBAY FOR OTHERS ON COMMISSION

walkerfarm1108
Enthusiast
Word has gotten out in my small rural community that I am selling on eBay and I've been approached to sell a couple of items for someone else on commission. I read somewhere that some people do this for 20% if the item sells. I'm just wondering if any of you have experience with this and if you do, do you charge to ship the item for them? Do you list under your ID? Is it worth the effort, since time listing for someone else is time taken from my own listings. Anything you can educate me about, before I take this step, I'd like to know. Thanks.
Message 1 of 129
latest reply
128 REPLIES 128

I dont know about selling something I dont know nothing about.

I’ve sold a few things for friends, but it makes me nervous.  One piece was something I’m not terribly familiar with, and the buyer – who paid a small fortune for it – was not happy with the condition when it arrived.  Things ended okay; he was very understanding of the bad situation I was in, not knowing about the piece.  I gave him a substantial partial refund, still made good money on the item, and he left me glowing feedback.  But never again will I sell something based on someone else’s research/description.

If you decide to do it, I recommend setting up a separate ID for the consignment stuff.  That way, if things go South, you still have your own ID to use.

BTW, I take half the sales price.  Listing on Ebay is an enormous amount of work if you do it right, and I wouldn’t do it for less.  It’s the same percentage I take on consignment items in my B&M.

Message 16 of 129
latest reply

BTW, I take half the sales price. Listing on Ebay is an enormous amount of work if you do it right, and I wouldn’t do it for less. It’s the same percentage I take on consignment items in my B&M.

Do all of the fees come out of your 50%?

smiley candle photo: candle candlef.gifFounding member of the Pack of Disgruntled Failures.
Message 17 of 129
latest reply

I operated on a 50/50 basis too.  Nowadays, consignment stores are increasingly moving to 40/60 and do a heck of a lot less to sell the item.

50/50 is at least as good a deal as a consignment store offers, and there's no risk of shoplifters.

THIS SPACE LEFT INTENTIONALLY BLANK
Message 18 of 129
latest reply

Do all of the fees come out of your 50%?

Yup.  The way I see it, Ebay fees are like my B&M expenses. I don't charge my consignors for credit card fees, or other costs associated with having a shop.

Some shops do, but I think giving the consignor the full 50% is a fair trade off for not having to risk my own money on those items.

Message 19 of 129
latest reply

Dang it Sue, your lines are contagious!

:^O

Message 20 of 129
latest reply

i use consignment shops at times, high $$ items . and pay mostly 25% as items sell quickly at my required price. nothing under $100.

but selling on ebay for others is a different animal. first have the one bringing the items sign an agreement setting terms. and you keep the item , nothing like selling it and finding it's broke/sold/lost.

make sure that in the agreement they state they will not bid on any of your items while their items are listed. know where this caused a consigner some problems. she now gets their ebay id if they have one before accepting the item. then adds them to bbl

age is a measure of time , wisdom is the measure of how we used that time
Message 21 of 129
latest reply

As a general rule of thumb...I don't sell anything on eBay that I can't afford to lose.

ebay...the new spectator sport
Message 22 of 129
latest reply

Not to mention that as the seller,

you're on the hook for returns for 45 days.

Rather doubt the consigner will want to wait that long for their $$$$$

I've sold stuff for folks in the past,

mostly music and audio gear with which I am rather familiar.

I would never attempt it now, with the current seller climate.

Message 23 of 129
latest reply

Dang it Sue, your lines are contagious!

:^O

Sorry - they come and go.  Sometimes I just ge huge spaces!

smiley candle photo: candle candlef.gifFounding member of the Pack of Disgruntled Failures.
Message 24 of 129
latest reply

Awesome! I would love a copy of that spreadsheat.

I have ladies in my area who want things sold for them. They also want me to teach a class. Either in their homes or at our local college. But I think selling the items individually would be the best don't you think?

Thanks

Message 25 of 129
latest reply

thread is 7 years old.

Message 26 of 129
latest reply

robinhood210673y2n
Enthusiast

I would suggest look at what the market is baring on similar items on ebay.

Message 27 of 129
latest reply

7thcavalaryscout
Enthusiast

Yes I do have been doing it for 4 years.

1. I charge 50% and take the fee's out of my end and it weeds out PITA owners:O

2. I keep items at my house till they sell

3. I have people sign contract

4. That is all I will tell you the rest you will learn

5. First year I sold 45,000:^O

6. your in business be nice but firm not a chump;\

(Break the deal and face the FeedBack Wheel):_|

Message 28 of 129
latest reply

op left the building 7 years ago,lol

Message 29 of 129
latest reply

That does not mean the topic may not be of interest to others.

Oh - nearly forgot this:  LOL

Message 30 of 129
latest reply