cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

shipping sewing patterns

I've been selling sewing patterns and usually ship them in a clear cello envelope in a  poly mailer with a piece of cardboard. They're usually 9x6 or 10 x 7 and weigh 2-5 oz. I used to send First Class, but now it must go Select Ground Advantage. I know you cannot ship Media Mail, but I see shipping prices all over the place and would like some clarification. Can I still select First Class? Should I use a bubble mailer?

Thanks!

Message 1 of 17
latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

shipping sewing patterns

First class package has been replaced by Ground Advantage by the USPS as of July 9. So no you won’t be able to print up a label for First Class package.

You  may see shipping prices vary for GA due to different zones the item ships to. 

Message 2 of 17
latest reply

shipping sewing patterns

The ground advantage costs should be identical to the old 1st class rates. The key for you is to try to keep them at 4oz or below for the cheapest tier. 

Message 3 of 17
latest reply

shipping sewing patterns

I just shipped one that cost me 5.65 at the post office for ground advantage.   My post office takes literally that the envelope can ONLY contain paper in sheets.    The definition on the post office website says it must be bendable and under 1/4”.     If you go to the self service it only asks if it’s under 3/4”.     I mailed one using eBay labels and got it back 6 weeks later saying they couldn’t process as a 1st class envelope.    Under 4 oz and very, very thin.   I take into the PO now if questionable and they always charge me ground advantage 

Message 4 of 17
latest reply

shipping sewing patterns

@juandr-92 wrote: ....    The definition on the post office website says it must be bendable and under 1/4”.     If you go to the self service it only asks if it’s under 3/4”. ..

First Class letters must  be not over 1/4 inch thick, and first class flats (AKA Large envelopes) must be not over 3/4 inch thick.  Their weight limits are 3.5 and 13 ounces respectively.  

Flats must be flexible,  but inflexible letters are accepted if you pay the "nonmachinable surcharge."

eBay doesn't sell postage for letters or flats, except the special "Standard envelope" in selected categories which generally must meet the criteria for  a machinable letter. That package which cost you $5.65 at the PO for Ground Advantage would  have cost $4.20 through eBay.

Message 5 of 17
latest reply

shipping sewing patterns

I understand that it cost me more to go to the counter.   My issue is that I don’t believe that I should HAVE to pay the price for ground advantage.   Some patterns are 1/4 “ or less and many are under 3/4”.    Those that are over I have no problem shipping ground advantage.    It’s when I follow the guidelines as to weight and thickness I should be able to ship first class.   Those that are in that range are flexible   When I took the one in that was returned after 6 weeks I pulled up the website and the postal clerk agreed that it was correct and stamped it so that it would go through without additional postage.   

I was just wondering if everyone selling sewing patterns just automatically ships ground advantage or have they been able to ship first class.  

The answer to my question at the post office is always that ONLY paper can go first class but I don’t see ghat on the USPS website. 

Message 6 of 17
latest reply

shipping sewing patterns

Unfortunately you are dealing with USPS employees that do not know their job.

Message 7 of 17
latest reply

shipping sewing patterns

I would because GA has tracking and FC doesnt.

For small packages GA to zone 8 I believe is only 30 cents more than media mails lowest tier.

Closer zones are even cheaper than media mail.

Message 8 of 17
latest reply

shipping sewing patterns

That's exactly how I pack and ship my guitar parts. I assume they will go all the way across the country (most do) and price them accordingly by weight. The transition from 1stC to GA has been smooth, no real changes.

Message 9 of 17
latest reply

shipping sewing patterns

I ship mine in a bubble mailer by GA.

"If a product doesn't sell, raise the price" - Reese Palley
"If it sold FAST, it was priced too low" - also Reese Palley
Message 10 of 17
latest reply

shipping sewing patterns

I have been shipping patterns for many years. I ship all my patterns Ground Advantage in a poly mailer through eBay shipping and never had any problems.

Message 11 of 17
latest reply

shipping sewing patterns

In any case shipping first class has issues as it does not offer tracking.

Message 12 of 17
latest reply

shipping sewing patterns

I had to create a shipping policy that includes media mail to get my listing posted.  My customers have a choice of media mail, ground advantage or priority mail - all USPS.  That way they have control over the cost they pay.

Message 13 of 17
latest reply

shipping sewing patterns

Dress patterns aren't eligible for Media Mail shipping. You should remove that option from your listing.

Message 14 of 17
latest reply

shipping sewing patterns

I have been investigating th on USPS:

USPS - What is First-Class Mail? First Class Mail is the most common and affordable way to send envelopes and lightweight packages. Anything you send to customers, including bills, invoices, correspondences and merchandise can be sent via First-Class, as long as your letters weigh less than 3.5 ounces

Message 15 of 17
latest reply