cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay taking media mail restrictions too far.

DVDs are eligible for MM and yet I just got this e-mail from eBay-

mm.png

I know I can purchase the MM labels from one of my shipping providers, but still- this is ridiculous.

USPS Media Mail Guidelines 

velvet@ebay jasmen@ebay- Is eBay attempting to phase out Media Mail entirely from being offered through eBay labels?

Message 1 of 46
latest reply
45 REPLIES 45

Re: eBay taking media mail restrictions too far.

We've heard back that the email included incorrect categories and/or listings. Given the USPS determines the eligibility of items that may be shipped using Media Mail - the email was intended to provide a heads up of sorts, for any sellers that may have been offering it incorrectly. We're not blocking any new/additional categories though, and you can expect to receive a corrected email soon. Thanks!

Velvet,
eBay
Message 31 of 46
latest reply

IF ebay was serious about cracking down on the incorrect use of Media Mail they could spend all day looking at magazine listings using MM. 

Message 32 of 46
latest reply

velvet@ebay wrote:

@coffeebean832 wrote:

DVDs are eligible for MM and yet I just got this e-mail from eBay-

mm.png

I know I can purchase the MM labels from one of my shipping providers, but still- this is ridiculous.

USPS Media Mail Guidelines 

velvet@ebay jasmen@ebay- Is eBay attempting to phase out Media Mail entirely from being offered through eBay labels?

Thanks for tagging us @coffeebean832! We're trying to get more information and will follow-up when we have details to share. 

Details are:

that it does not say the primary categories a user sells in are the ones that violate the policy.

It only says it is the primary of the user.

That is the error of this complication.

Message 33 of 46
latest reply

velvet@ebay 

velvet@ebay wrote:

We've heard back that the email included incorrect categories and/or listings. Given the USPS determines the eligibility of items that may be shipped using Media Mail - the email was intended to provide a heads up of sorts, for any sellers that may have been offering it incorrectly. We're not blocking any new/additional categories though, and you can expect to receive a corrected email soon. Thanks!

But is anything being done about categories that were blocked?  I get that this may have been a really left footed attempt (survey) to find out which categories had been affected adversely by the "no media mail in this category" which I believe you were trying to spear head......but we are back to square 1 or -1, since no one here now thinks ebay know squat about media mail, considering this.

I just can't understand HOW this kind of stuff keeps happening.......is no one held responsible? 

Message 34 of 46
latest reply

velvet@ebay wrote:

The subject of the original e-mail was "USPS Media Mail isn’t available for some categories" and reading that along with the e-mail content and your explanation- it now makes sense.

If a seller lists in the toys category and offers MM- the intention is for sellers to verify that their items are eligible. Seller A listing game pieces with MM should remove MM from their listing. Seller B listing role playing game books with MM is eligible so they should leave MM but fill out the survey to let eBay know their eligible item was blocked from a MM label. (Really- there needs to be a subcategory specifically for RPG books with MM labels enabled.)

What's crazy is that eBay hasn't restricted video games or comics from MM (not that I've seen yet) and none of those items qualify.

They haven't restricted book subcategories for things like blank journals, magazines, coloring/activity books, book accessories (bookmarks, book lights, book covers, book plates, book stands) and none of those qualify.

Then there are actual book subcategories within other verticals like collectibles where items do qualify, but eBay doesn't allow MM labels. I guess those sellers were meant to be targeted with the survey.

Some book/publication subcategories- I think for motors and crafts- were restricted based on the vertical- then later enabled based on seller FB and whatever work Velvet was doing behind the scenes with the shipping team.
Message 35 of 46
latest reply

What's crazy is that eBay hasn't restricted video games or comics from MM (not that I've seen yet) and none of those items qualify

Video games that are on Blu-Rays discs and DVDs do qualify; also, Computer Media qualifies.  The assumption that "video games" do not qualify is from a written footnote in the USPS document and not the actual regulation since computer media, Blu-Rays, DVDs, tapes, CD-Roms, are video games (see document for PC software).  Their footnote is in reference to gaming cartridges like Atari and NES (when the rule was updated), even if those are quasi-computer media.  Now many can and cannot disagree with this, it is just some smart cookie at the USPS will say one thing and everyone will think it is the holy grail, when it is not true.  The USPS is losing $160 Billion anyway.

Comics is a different issue because of the "advertising" inside, from which the clowns at the USPS attempt to dump them into Magazines, you'll find some Captain Avatar look-a-like with buggy eyes type in upper management just come up with this bogus opinion and gets it in the document.

But graphic comic novels like Thor with no advertising qualify for Media Rate.

I send Video Games First Class because the demand is so high that I won't risk the US Postal Service placing them on a barge to Hawaii or a donkey to the outskirts of the Grand Canyon with no recourse for the delay.  YMMV.

Message 36 of 46
latest reply

@shado-x wrote:

Video games that are on Blu-Rays discs and DVDs do qualify; also, Computer Media qualifies. 

No they don't.

https://liteblue.usps.gov/news/link/2013/04apr/Media-Mail-Guidelines.htm

games.png

@shado-x wrote:

Comics is a different issue because of the "advertising" inside...

But graphic comic novels like Thor with no advertising qualify for Media Rate.

Yes- graphic novels do qualify which is why MM should be banned in the comic category but allowed for the graphic novels subcategory. Actually- no- eBay got rid of the graphic novel subcategory in May with the big comic book category changes so that wouldn't be possible anymore to allow just graphic novels unless eBay reverted and split graphic novels back into their own subcategory.

Message 37 of 46
latest reply

eBay's follow-up e-mail:

mm2.png

Message 38 of 46
latest reply

@shado-x wrote:

What's crazy is that eBay hasn't restricted video games or comics from MM (not that I've seen yet) and none of those items qualify

Video games that are on Blu-Rays discs and DVDs do qualify; also, Computer Media qualifies.  The assumption that "video games" do not qualify is from a written footnote in the USPS document and not the actual regulation since computer media, Blu-Rays, DVDs, tapes, CD-Roms, are video games (see document for PC software).  ....

No, they don't qualify, regardless of the format.  Here's the ruling.

https://pe.usps.com/text/csr/PS-334.htm

"In conclusion, video games, whether on CD-ROM, diskettes, or similar software, regardless of form, or playable systems including computers, do not meet the standards for Media Mail."

Message 39 of 46
latest reply

Books, Movies, Record Albums, Prerecorded Cassette Tapes, Prerecorded Video Tapes, CDs, DVDs Prerecorded MiniDiscs, all qualify for Media Mail shipping according to the USPS. Also included are all form of blank media(ie: cassettes, video cassettes, DVD-R, DVD-RW, CD-R, CD-RW, MiniDiscs). eBay is doing this on their own. Why? Not sure. They quite wrong and it is messing up listings all across the USA. It is not the US Postal Service.  I called eBay on this a few months ago and after about a week Media Mail was being offered again. I noticed it was gone again about a week ago when I sold a couple of CDs. I called again and the guy on the phone was no help at all. 

Message 40 of 46
latest reply

BLANK discs do not qualify @onesixthtoys (source), and you were appropriately blocked from purchasing MM through eBay because of the category they were listed in.

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 41 of 46
latest reply

Yes, they do. I just had this conversation with the USPS about a month ago and they confirmed that blank media DOES qualify.  eBay is wrong on this one.

Message 42 of 46
latest reply

From the USPS website:

Using Media Mail

Here's what you can send:

• Books (at least 8 pages)
  • 16-millimeter or narrower width films
  • Printed music and test materials
  • Video and sound recordings
  • Playscripts and manuscripts
  • Printed educational reference charts
  • Medical loose-leaf pages and binders
  • Computer-readable media

NOTE: Video games, computer drives, and digital drives do not qualify for Media Mail prices.

Message 43 of 46
latest reply

Blank media doesn’t qualify for Media Mail.  If it did, I could send out reams of paper.

Message 44 of 46
latest reply

@onesixthtoys wrote:

Yes, they do. I just had this conversation with the USPS about a month ago and they confirmed that blank media DOES qualify.  eBay is wrong on this one.

Read the link I posted above @onesixthtoys. It's a USPS link, not an eBay link. The USPS rep you spoke with was wrong/uninformed.

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 45 of 46
latest reply