cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay standard envelope not working

I sold a few football cards over the weekend and used eBays new standard envelope service. I took the cards to the post office on Monday and the post office rejected my envelopes because they said they were not eligible to be tracked. This whole situation is very confusing and I have no idea what to do. Has this happened to anybody else?

Message 1 of 68
latest reply
67 REPLIES 67

Re: eBay standard envelope not working

I have been using Standard envelope since it went into operation a few months ago and have great variances depending on the actual packaging I use.  The hard cardboard mailers, purchased through EBay supplier here, I have never had a problem with.  Adds to the weight, thus adds to the cost, as they cost me $0.35 each but they go through the USPS system without fail.  I charge the buyer $1.49 shipping to cover envelope, shipping cost via Standard envelope of $0.93, and Ebays fees.  Break even for me.  I started a few weeks ago to try PWE.  Cards shipped in a top loader in PWE were mailed on March 5th and first scan by USPS was March 16th.  Other Standard envelope cards shipped in the cardboard envelope were delivered 4 days after shipping as deposited at the same time.  Seems the USPS has a ugly duckling approach to the PWE top loader.  

Aalso, had a buyer claim they never received their card with the last scan stated it was at their local processing center in Oakland.  Filed a claim, that EBay sided on the behalf of the buyer even though I fulfilled my sellers mailing obligation so if that continues, which I now have 2 more buyers filing claims, PWE will be stopped, buyers will have to pay more, I will make less and fewer cards may be sold.  

when EBay rolled this out, they specifically stated a PWE with a top loader is sufficient, however, the actions of the USPS is disputing that assertion.

so in conclusion, Standard envelope with cardboard mailer for all my cheaper cards at $1.49 to buyer instead of 0.99 in a PWE and top loader has proven to be the better, if costlier option to be effective to both EBay and buyers.

Message 61 of 68
latest reply

I haven't used this yet, but do sell an occasional card or two. I would like to do this for obvious reasons but I'm waiting for more positive results. Have any of the problems been remedied yet? I would rather not sell many cards than have no reliable tracking. Does anyone have anything good to say?

Message 62 of 68
latest reply

I doubt ebay will care about your having to refund.

Message 63 of 68
latest reply

If I do that, my post office returns them back to me the next day, and I have defects for late shipping.

They refuse to accept eBay standard envelope postage unless I pay an additional 35 cents for each item so they can be hand stamped. I'm using the mailers approved by eBay and sold in eBay shipping supplies, but my post office says they are too rigid to be acceptable. They say they have had no notice from their supervisors about eBay Standard Envelopes, and there is nothing in postal regulations that specifically covers this. (They are correct about that). We need help from eBay to communicate with USPS and urge them to make it clear to their post offices that the ebay mailers are indeed acceptable. 

Message 64 of 68
latest reply

@mombulldog2 wrote:

If I do that, my post office returns them back to me the next day, and I have defects for late shipping.

They refuse to accept eBay standard envelope postage unless I pay an additional 35 cents for each item so they can be hand stamped. I'm using the mailers approved by eBay and sold in eBay shipping supplies, but my post office says they are too rigid to be acceptable. They say they have had no notice from their supervisors about eBay Standard Envelopes, and there is nothing in postal regulations that specifically covers this. (They are correct about that). We need help from eBay to communicate with USPS and urge them to make it clear to their post offices that the ebay mailers are indeed acceptable. 

@mombulldog2   I am going to tag the community staff so they can pass this on to the shipping team.  

tyler@ebay   jasmen@ebay  velvet@ebay 

Comics-scifi_collectibles Is a Volunteer Community Mentor.
I have been a seller since 2003

Message 65 of 68
latest reply

@comics-scifi-collectibles wrote:

@mombulldog2 wrote:

@mombulldog2   I am going to tag the community staff so they can pass this on to the shipping team.  

tyler@ebay   jasmen@ebay  velvet@ebay 

Hi @comics-scifi-collectibles! I'll reach out to the shipping team and see what I can find out. Thanks!

Velvet,
eBay
Message 66 of 68
latest reply

Any updates? 

been using the program since it started and just today I got 10 orders kicked back. 

my shipping procedures are the same. Nothing has changed. 

Message 67 of 68
latest reply

Most of the time they scan, sometimes they don't . Luckily for me all ( Postcard) buyers have been honest about receiving them .

Message 68 of 68
latest reply