cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wow - Christmas is going to be a treat at the PO

My PO just installed a new system - every single package has to be printed out one receipt at a time

1 package =  1 receipt

2 package = 2 receipt

3 package = 3 receipt

so the clerk has to stop - process the package and you have to input into the terminal button

for each one - "yes - print receipt"

wonder who dreamed that one up

Message 1 of 39
latest reply
38 REPLIES 38

Re: Wow - Christmas is going to be a treat at the PO

@kathieskorner wrote:

I don't believe for a minute that the clerk was using the terminal properly.

I agree.  I went to the post office today - mailed three packages - two with prepinted postage and one that I paid for postage at the window since it was going letter mail.   Just one receipt.   

Thinking about this some more... (I know, I must have better things to think about than this...Smiley Very Happy), I suspect the clerk might have been trained by processing one item per customer (and from my own observations, I would say that most customers do have just one item in their transaction).

When presented with multiple items, the clerk didn't know which steps were per-item and which steps were per-transaction (i.e. wrap-up steps that done at the end). Certainly there is no need to print a separate receipt for each item; you would leave that for the end of the transaction, and then print everything on one piece of paper.

Message 31 of 39
latest reply

@disneyshopper wrote:

I shipped 2 packages at the post office on Thursday.  I use ebay shipping to print my labels.  One sale was from this account and the other sale from my other selling account.  No scan sheet possible.  The clerk scanned each package and then directed me to the little "terminal" (or whatever it's called) to press the button to print the receipt.  I received ONE receipt with both tracking numbers for the 2 packages.

I'm not understanding this...?   I send 30-40 packages a week, the only package that ever 'vanished' is the sneaky guy that slid out of the bag in my car and I found it 3 days later... on the floorboard in the car.  

I take my packages. occasionally, to the post office (mostly I give them to my mail carrier) and I just put the whole bag of packages on the side counter, I get to bypass the waiting line, walk in, drop packages, walk out. Tracking is already on each sale on ebay as I printed the label from ebay. Why would I want a receipt?

Message 32 of 39
latest reply

@findingfinds888 wrote:

I'm not understanding this...?   I send 30-40 packages a week, the only package that ever 'vanished' is the sneaky guy that slid out of the bag in my car and I found it 3 days later... on the floorboard in the car.  

I take my packages. occasionally, to the post office (mostly I give them to my mail carrier) and I just put the whole bag of packages on the side counter, I get to bypass the waiting line, walk in, drop packages, walk out. Tracking is already on each sale on ebay as I printed the label from ebay. Why would I want a receipt?

I generally get a receipt for my records in the event there is an APV issue.  The weights are on the receipt. 

When I don't get a receipt (because of a long line and the pick-up/drop off pre-paid extra help person comes out) I still get an acceptance scan.  It acknowledges that the item is in the hands of USPS and in the event of loss, it's covered.

There are very few measures taken to properly protect packages left on the counter.  What's to stop someone from walking off with one or three?

- Suzanne -
Message 33 of 39
latest reply

you could always ship usps ground, but would need to put the ORM-D Consumer Comodity sticker on the outside of the package and list isopropyl alcohol prep pad on the outside, then insert a few of the prep pads on the inside so buyers could clean their hands before handling the merchandise... 😉

@csbbct wrote:

@slippinjimmy wrote:

@dazzlecity wrote:

My PO just installed a new system - every single package has to be printed out one receipt at a time

1 package =  1 receipt

2 package = 2 receipt

3 package = 3 receipt

so the clerk has to stop - process the package and you have to input into the terminal button

for each one - "yes - print receipt"

wonder who dreamed that one up

Why do you go to the Post Office when you can print your labels at home and pay less with no aggravation?

With dimensional rating now, if you have a large box the only way to get less expensive rates is to ship it Retail Ground (as long as it's not zone 1-4) where dimensional rating does not apply.  You can only buy Retail Ground service at the post office window.  This is a new USPS change as of June 2019.

Message 34 of 39
latest reply

I do hope by now that your Post Office clerk realizes that they're doing it wrong. 

That is not the way the new/updated system works

Message 35 of 39
latest reply

@myjunqueyourtreasure wrote:

@disneyshopper wrote:

I shipped 2 packages at the post office on Thursday.  I use ebay shipping to print my labels.  One sale was from this account and the other sale from my other selling account.  No scan sheet possible.  The clerk scanned each package and then directed me to the little "terminal" (or whatever it's called) to press the button to print the receipt.  I received ONE receipt with both tracking numbers for the 2 packages.

That's my issue with scan sheets as well. I may have 20 parcels but they're from 6 different IDs.

It's still quicker to scan 6 sheets of paper that to scan 20 packages.

Message 36 of 39
latest reply

@dazzlecity wrote:

Of course I print my labels cheaper thru Paypal - I go to the PO personally - first of all I live on rural horse property - leaving my packages up by the road is pretty much out of the question and my mail man would never entertain coming up to the house to get the packages never mind scan them (he'd have to get out of his truck).  I also live on this crazy street.  One side of the street is one carriers job - my side is a different carrier.  It's kind of a nightmare.

We haven't had a regular mailman for at least 10 years. We never know who's coming - what time their coming ect.

I also want the paper receipt in my hand to prove it was shipped.

I really grilled the clerk about this change - he said it was to the best of his knowledge city wide and Vegas is a big city now.  They hate it - it's creating so much more work for them - he told me to email the P/M and complain before the Christmas rush is on. Apparently he thinks I have some clout??? lol

With the exception of one eBayer that put up a second Jumbo mailbox for outgoing and incoming packages (they have 5 ultra hyper Boxers, going to the house incites chaos) , my shippers just stick a note in the mailbox or schedule a pick up and I go to their house or where ever they put the packages.

If your carrier wont get out of the truck and there isn't a dangerous situation like an aggressive dog, then report them to your Postmaster, if that does not correct the issue report them on-line.

Message 37 of 39
latest reply

@findingfinds888 wrote:

@disneyshopper wrote:

OK, let me give you a scenario that explains why some feel the need to wait for a receipt - because that insures the label gets scanned!   Tracking may already be on each eBay sale when you print a label, however for your eBay's grading a package is not considered "shipped" until it gets the first scan by the shipper!  So your ability or lack thereof to meet you handling time is graded/measured by that first scan.

So say you go to your post office, there is a long line so you deposit your packages on the side counter.  Say the clerk takes a break and the dude in the back, who is responsible for taking packages from the clerks and sorting them to the zip code bins, comes by and sees the packages, assumes they have been scanned, and distributes them to the zip code bins.  Now you have say 10 packages that have not been scanned and you have a 1-day handling time.  How will that effect your business with Ebay if something like this happens?  Plus out of that 10 customers there is probably one that is going to be one emailing you asking why you are scamming them and not shipping their item.

So yeah, stuff like this does happen frequently enough that many sellers spend the time to make sure their packages get scanned and the receipt is their proof of such.   Might seem extreme to some, but hey, everyone perceives and manages 'risk' differently.

Message 38 of 39
latest reply

@no_zero369 wrote:
So yeah, stuff like this does happen frequently enough that many sellers spend the time to make sure their packages get scanned and the receipt is their proof of such.   Might seem extreme to some, but hey, everyone perceives and manages 'risk' differently.

All true, although speaking for myself, I'm satisfied just hearing the scanner beep; I don't need the paper. OTOH, they usually thrust the receipt at me without asking, so I just take it and go on my way.

Message 39 of 39
latest reply