cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USPS not scanning packages

Is anyone else having a problem with USPS not scanning every package? I have packages from the 20th of July (today is the 25th) that still have not been scanned. I went to the local post office where I drop off packages and after standing in line for 45 minutes, spoke to a supervisor about this. Her response was "lately, we've been overwhelmed and haven't had a chance to scan everything that comes in",. Well, why the hell do you offer tracking if you're not scanning packages? Apparently the station (Detroit) that the packages are being sent to are also not scanning. It's a huge mess with angry buyers thinking that I'm holding on to their packages for days at a time. 

Message 1 of 50
latest reply
49 REPLIES 49

Re: USPS not scanning packages

i have faced this issue continuously for a month when corona was at peak in NY still sometimes USPS delaying the packages, their service is so poor, in my opinion print labels in bulk and generate scan form and give it to post office and make sure they scan that form, in one shot all packages will be scan. it will give you some relief from pain, at least customer will not be panic, if then something happen you can explain to customer it was scanned same day but delayed by carrier.  i am using bulk shipping tool since USPS nailed me so bad. secondly in my opinion you should call ebay and let them know about this situation that you are facing problem from USPS and you need protection against late shipment rate and against this problem if something comes up.

my fair suggestion is to change your handling time to two days for few days or can keep changing from one to two days or three days specially for heavy items, this way it will cut some time from late delivery.its not best practice but this virus made everything mess up.

Message 2 of 50
latest reply

You paid good money & are not getting the service for which you paid.

You have a right to expect proper handling & not excuses.

Time to hire & train more workers or allow for more OT pay

Message 3 of 50
latest reply

you are not a seller that is reason you cannot understand this issue, if seller start hire more then acquire and over pay to carrier then prices of products will go much higher and at the end of day consumer will pay for it.

Message 4 of 50
latest reply

Exacty same happening in Fort Lauderdale, FL

It is better to fail in originality than to succeed in imitation.
***Herman Melville***
= = = =

Rejoice always!!!
1 Thes 5:16
Message 5 of 50
latest reply

It's happening everywhere, and you can't just hand off your packages anymore, or leave them for the carrier to pick up.  If you've pre-printed a label and are at the Post Office, stand there and demand the acceptance scan (at the very least).  Hopefully it will also be scanned when it reaches it's destination. 

Message 6 of 50
latest reply

eBay should not ding us for this problem. I've been selling for 20 years and always shipped on time, and NEVER a problem until the last few months. USPS is not scanning all my packages after demanding I leave them on the counter,  promising they will.  Even after conversations with eBay and proving  they've been delivered on time, eBay has not removed the "ding" and now in fear of losing TRS rating over USPS!  Frustrated beyond belief!  

Message 7 of 50
latest reply

Same here in NJ not scanning items and my p.o. Only allows 1 person in lobby at a time no room for social distancing. 

Message 8 of 50
latest reply

i hope ebay get up before its too late and USPS do not give **bleep** because its govt entity they do not care about profit or loss. i agree with you ebay does not help when there is such situation i had loose TRS suppose to be in next evaluation, now after changing handling time i am getting back to normal for seller status but other side i am loosing orders due to long handling time.Best of Luck !

Message 9 of 50
latest reply

The post office isn't going to change. eBay isn't going to change. You can only change yourself. I would just stand in line at the post office daily. Sucks, but it ensures it at least is shown that you took it there. If you don't get that receipt scan, it open ups a host of issues. I stand in line daily.

Message 10 of 50
latest reply

Wow!  The same thing happened to me on a package also sent on the 20th.  I'm dealing with this right now.  It is the 29th and it still has not been received (Priority Mail).  Thanks for your post.  

Message 11 of 50
latest reply

@chasearooauctions wrote:

Is anyone else having a problem with USPS not scanning every package? I have packages from the 20th of July (today is the 25th) that still have not been scanned. I went to the local post office where I drop off packages and after standing in line for 45 minutes, spoke to a supervisor about this. Her response was "lately, we've been overwhelmed and haven't had a chance to scan everything that comes in",. Well, why the hell do you offer tracking if you're not scanning packages? Apparently the station (Detroit) that the packages are being sent to are also not scanning. It's a huge mess with angry buyers thinking that I'm holding on to their packages for days at a time. 

The USPS needs to stop trying to use things like that as excuses.  I live in one of the biggest cities in the US and yet somehow they've been managing to scan all of their packages just fine at my local PO. I mailed four things at various points last week and all were scanned promptly and dispatched to the sort center the same evening that I mailed them.

Message 12 of 50
latest reply

OMG!  What city??  I need to temporarily relocate til this mess is over.  I am lucky if I get 3 out of 10 packages scanned!  And that is even after leaving a SCAN sheet with my box of packages on the counter!  You are so lucky!!

Message 13 of 50
latest reply

It is so bad where I am that I actually inquired about filing a class action lawsuit against the USPS for fraud because I would drop off packages on their counter as instructed, often with a freaking SCAN sheet, and then for three days the tracking still said "USPS Awaiting Item" and when they finally got around to scanning it four days later, the tracking would update  to "USPS in possession of item"!!  WTH?  I almost always get packages to the post office the same day if bought before 2pm CST and yet the USPS would have my buyers believe I sat around for four days before I got around to actually shipping their purchase.  So absolutely maddening.

Inevitably I'm switching to FedEx Ground to see if I get better results.  I don't have the luxury of time or energy  to devote to legal action so I'm just taking my business elsewhere.  Well except for using the USPS to ship five separate luggage GPS trackers to relatives in different states  just out of curiosity.  Dying to know where those packages that vanish from the radar end up.  😉

Message 14 of 50
latest reply

Ever since the Covid scare started I have had a lot of packages not being scanned. When I say a lot, I mean a ton. The packages that ARE being scanned show items sitting at one USPS location for days at a time.  I am in Michigan and have notice that it is happening more in the eastern states of the US. 

On a daily basis I get messages about non scanned packages .  Buyers tend to think I just have not mailed them so I send a link to the USPS site that proves that packages miss getting scanned.  Then I remind them it is not just me, thousands of packages are not getting scanned.

That usually works and they are fine waiting, because they have no choice.

Message 15 of 50
latest reply