cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USPS has lost its mind

Its really going to happen ebay sellers. I saw the written card at my post office yesterday. Any packages over 22" will have a flat 4.00 extra charge. Over 30" will have a 15.00 extra charge. Also a 15.00 charge for a square footage i cant remember the details. I have never seen so many price increases in the last 5 years from them and now this is just rediculous. I will be using UPS and Fed Ex a lot more than in the past. BTW they were talking about this last December. Nothing to do with the gas prices being so high. Also the new fleet will be getting 8mpg. Bad decisions across the board for USPS. a tiny % electric or hybrid 😞

I hope ebay can help mitigate some of this crazy cost for sellers.

Message 1 of 105
latest reply
104 REPLIES 104

USPS has lost its mind

Has been since they've increasing postage for the last 6 years, higher 1st class so alot of small stuff done and now the outrageous surcharge. Each year we can raise shipping a little at a time, hurts but works, this one is a business killer and wiped out half my inventory.

Message 31 of 105
latest reply

USPS has lost its mind

@mr_lincoln wrote:

@neatstuff4utoo, @eunster1313 , @my-cottage-books-and-antiques , @tsme35 , @lepke1979 

Looks like buying inventory to sell on eBay will now have a new requirement ... size ...

If you prep you items properly before shipping, size shouldn't be an issue.

22668_2_2000x2000.jpg

Message 32 of 105
latest reply

USPS has lost its mind

@mr_lincoln    Once more sellers discover the added fee (and if experience is any indicator, we will be hearing from quite a few shocked sellers after this goes into effect since many will be taken by surprise)---but once this becomes more common knowledge, I expect some items will be harder to find on ebay (and online generally), as sellers simply drop them.  That MIGHT end up being to the advantage of sellers who are willing to shop larger items despite the USPS change. 

Only time will tell.

Message 33 of 105
latest reply

USPS has lost its mind

@lepke1979 wrote:

Signed up so may get a phone call at some point. Am a small shipper, but may be interesting. This says regional has shipping minimums.

https://www.ecommercebytes.com/2022/03/23/usps-plans-to-add-new-connect-service-to-online-marketplac...

The way that I read this is that you take you packages to the receiving dock of the PO serving the receiving zip code.

That does not really appear to me to be any benefit at all to most ebay sellers.  

Message 34 of 105
latest reply

USPS has lost its mind

@bashort wrote: ... That does not really appear to me to be any benefit at all to most ebay sellers.  

I have to agree: The stuff I sell is just not that time-sensitive.  And I'm not giving this another moment's thought until I can see the pricing.

Message 35 of 105
latest reply

USPS has lost its mind

@nobody*s_perfect wrote:

And I'm not giving this another moment's thought until I can see the pricing.

Yep. We're like-minded on this. I viewed the pages on that program the day it was announced and as soon as I realized there was no published pricing I said forget it - I'll wait.

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 36 of 105
latest reply

USPS has lost its mind

This is the Postmaster General's sadistic move. Dejoy, appointed by the last administration, refuses to leave and cannot be removed unless the PO Board votes to do so. He's the same one who fouled up shipping during the Christmas season. 

Small business killers are all the rage right now.

Message 37 of 105
latest reply

USPS has lost its mind

@nobody*s_perfect   I could be mistaken, but I think this stuff is primarily (but not exclusively) aimed at small and medium size B&M businesses , not the average online marketplace seller.  I agree, I doubt it will have much value to most of us, at least until we know more about it.

Message 38 of 105
latest reply

USPS has lost its mind

Our bigger concern is that they will eliminate Media mail. I really think it's just a matter of time. For this reason we've been moving away from books and onto lighter, first class eligible, items.

@macabrelibrarian wrote:

When this first came to light, I understood that this did not apply to Media Mail. Now I'm starting to wonder. Does anyone know?

Message 39 of 105
latest reply

USPS has lost its mind

@nobody*s_perfect wrote:

@bashort wrote: ... That does not really appear to me to be any benefit at all to most ebay sellers.  

I have to agree: The stuff I sell is just not that time-sensitive.  And I'm not giving this another moment's thought until I can see the pricing.

@nobody*s_perfect   I looped Tyler and Velvet in on this thread, I am more concerned that eBay's label flow adjusts based on the dimensions / weight Sellers put on their listings AND that it will automatically update ALL existing listings that are affected.

I know for say train SETS, the boxes are big and the new specs will add $$ to those items for sure.  I'm looking at my inventory shelves even as we speak ... about 8 nice value items (just over $ 1,000.00 total resale value) sitting there that would probably be affected  ... hopefully they sell before April 3 ...

Regards,
Mr. Lincoln - Community Mentor
Message 40 of 105
latest reply

USPS has lost its mind

@my-cottage-books-and-antiques wrote:

@nobody*s_perfect   I could be mistaken, but I think this stuff is primarily (but not exclusively) aimed at small and medium size B&M businesses , not the average online marketplace seller.  I agree, I doubt it will have much value to most of us, at least until we know more about it.

Did anyone notice that you have to take the items to EACH destination Post Office. What ebay seller can do that.  This is not for online sellers but it is for B&B store to do local deliveries.

Message 41 of 105
latest reply

USPS has lost its mind

@mr_lincoln  ebay's shipping team has said that they will automatically calculate the additional charge for calculated shipping----(that assumes the seller has put in the correct dimensions.) That will be shown to the buyer, so the buyer will know up front what the shipping cost is.

One thing I'm thinking of doing for larger items ---before the 3rd---is physically prepping them for shipping, rather than just estimating box dimensions. 

Of course, there's that brief period before the 3rd when a buyer could buy at the old rate but seller doesn't ship till the 3rd or later....something to think about...

Message 42 of 105
latest reply

USPS has lost its mind

No, they didn't lose their mind.  And it's about time they had some competition.    I had a package two weeks ago that was two ounces over two pounds.  Two pounds was $ 7.   Two pounds, two ounces was $ 15.  it was mailed UPS instead.  Eight dollars for two ounces is insane.

Good Moms let you lick the Beaters.

Great Moms turn them off first.
Message 43 of 105
latest reply

USPS has lost its mind

Esp. the change will be over the weekend, I'm pulling all my fishing rods on that Friday night, then list a couple higher dollar items Sunday and see what it shows.

Ebay's shipping team did post on my thread about shipping, it will be shown to the buyers, shipping and surcharge but sellers won't get a discount on the surcharge just shipping, so there's the extra $1.60 or shipping fee on top of the $15.

Message 44 of 105
latest reply

USPS has lost its mind

@my-cottage-books-and-antiques wrote:

@mr_lincoln  ebay's shipping team has said that they will automatically calculate the additional charge for calculated shipping----(that assumes the seller has put in the correct dimensions.) That will be shown to the buyer, so the buyer will know up front what the shipping cost is.

One thing I'm thinking of doing for larger items ---before the 3rd---is physically prepping them for shipping, rather than just estimating box dimensions. 

Of course, there's that brief period before the 3rd when a buyer could buy at the old rate but seller doesn't ship till the 3rd or later....something to think about...

EXCELLENT point at the end there @my-cottage-books-and-antiques  ... I will definitely time auctions on the larger items to end AFTER the 3rd ... or 5 days before in the event of a UPI that can be cancelled after 4 days ...

Regards,
Mr. Lincoln - Community Mentor
Message 45 of 105
latest reply