cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USPS has lost its mind

Its really going to happen ebay sellers. I saw the written card at my post office yesterday. Any packages over 22" will have a flat 4.00 extra charge. Over 30" will have a 15.00 extra charge. Also a 15.00 charge for a square footage i cant remember the details. I have never seen so many price increases in the last 5 years from them and now this is just rediculous. I will be using UPS and Fed Ex a lot more than in the past. BTW they were talking about this last December. Nothing to do with the gas prices being so high. Also the new fleet will be getting 8mpg. Bad decisions across the board for USPS. a tiny % electric or hybrid 😞

I hope ebay can help mitigate some of this crazy cost for sellers.

Message 1 of 105
latest reply
104 REPLIES 104

Re: USPS has lost its mind

LOOK  I AGREE that the USPS mostly victim of its own ineptitude, BUT alot stuff fit in a box under 22 inches long..

Message 91 of 105
latest reply

@newdealpawn wrote:

LOOK  I AGREE that the USPS mostly victim of its own ineptitude, BUT alot stuff fit in a box under 22 inches long..

And honestly, if it's over 22" long then chances are high that FedEx or UPS will be a better deal for shipping it anyway. I've got a great big plush that I won for a friend and even before the surcharge it was going to cost much less to ship via UPS than USPS because it's a big box.

Message 92 of 105
latest reply

We had to end all our gift wrap listings last night since they are very long rolls. Nobody is going to pay $4.50 extra for a commodity item like this unless it is special. There is a limit to how much someone is willing to pay for shipping. So ebay loses out and USPS loses out, and now the  River will  pick up all those lost sales and we will have to try to liquidate what we have locally.  And of course there are those shipping stars and feedback to worry about too so at this point it's not worth dealing with. Too bad ebay couldn't advocate on our behalf. Just another nail in the coffin, death by 1000 cuts.

Message 93 of 105
latest reply

I had a HUGE stroke of luck today

On the way to work the battery light came on. Pretty much all my dash lights either stay one or go on and off. So I am mildly concerned. I get to the gas station to fill up (which I do daily), light is back off when I started the Jeep, it was off when I loaded up after casing and left for the route. It comes back on approaching the first mailbox and the radio shuts off and the window is very slow going down.

I turn around and go to the retail office which is very close. The Postmaster is working there today because the PMR transferred out. We can't find anyone to take the route, everyone is working. None of the mechanics shops I go to are open. I called another carrier who was off and he suggested I go down the road and see if the guy was in his shop as he knows he does his bookwork on Saturday. He was just going into the shop when I walked up. On his day off he called and got an alternator delivered and had me on my way 15 minutes after the part arrived. 

Dam if I am not dropping off doughnuts Tuesday morning.

Message 94 of 105
latest reply

Yes I went to mail a Fishing rod and got hit with the extra 15.00 charge doesn't matter if its Priority or 1st class. Some of the USPS window workers didn't receive proper notice of the new fees either...so much for selling fishing rods.

Message 95 of 105
latest reply

@ksuhof wrote:

Yes I went to mail a Fishing rod and got hit with the extra 15.00 charge doesn't matter if its Priority or 1st class. Some of the USPS window workers didn't receive proper notice of the new fees either...so much for selling fishing rods.

I buy some rods. They always come UPS from Powell Rods. Usually 7.5' or 8' tubes, probably 3 or 4 inches wide.  I don't know what it costs to ship rods.  Is UPS an option for you with eBay's discount?

Message 96 of 105
latest reply

@calntom wrote:

@ksuhof wrote:

I buy some rods. They always come UPS from Powell Rods. Usually 7.5' or 8' tubes, probably 3 or 4 inches wide.  I don't know what it costs to ship rods.  Is UPS an option for you with eBay's discount?

That looks like the choice from now on for long packages. 

I saw the end result of this price increase in person a couple of days ago at our PO. The woman at the window ahead of me had a large package that the clerk was measuring with a tape measure. There were a couple of smaller things with it so the total was not just for that package alone, but it came to $51 and change. She said, "No way!" and took the box back. The clerk leaned forward and said quietly, "You didn't hear this from me, but you should be able to mail that size for much less at the UPS Store." (It's only about a mile from our place.) She thanked him and headed off thataway.

I think UPS is going to see an increase in business corresponding to that which the USPS is trying to drive off. Oh, well.

Message 97 of 105
latest reply

@a_c_green wrote: ... I think UPS is going to see an increase in business corresponding to that which the USPS is trying to drive off. Oh, well.

That's probably exactly what USPS was hoping for.

Message 98 of 105
latest reply

@nobody*s_perfect wrote:

@a_c_green wrote: ... I think UPS is going to see an increase in business corresponding to that which the USPS is trying to drive off. Oh, well.

That's probably exactly what USPS was hoping for.

Yeah, no doubt. I can see why sellers have said that they're basically going to adjust their inventory to avoid having to ship packages that big. Many years back, I used to restore vintage clocks and signs, routinely shipping big boxes and double-boxes, but I'm kind of glad that I'm now operating in a niche market (vintage bike accessories, mostly) that doesn't require huge boxes or weird oversize fees.

P.S. I think they may also be hoping for fewer insurance claims and disputes involving big heavy things that arrived damaged due to inept packaging. I often see people in the PO with ridiculous big old boxes barely held together with tape, and I don't even want to know what it is they're hoping to ship that way.

Message 99 of 105
latest reply

I hear ya, but when Dejoy got in he vowed to get the USPS out of debt and more profitable and I am afraid they are just going to be keeping up with the jones as far as postage costs now.

Message 100 of 105
latest reply

Yeah Fed Ex is investing in electric vehicles now to keep the costs down.

Message 101 of 105
latest reply

I guess I'll be dropping all about 200 long shipping tubes at the post office, since nothing makes $15 extra worth it.  They will have to ship another way.  I wasn't aware of the change, and sent one out last week, so we will see if they catch it I guess. Most of my stuff doesn't even come close to 22" fortunately, but I will have to adjust the price for the few items that are longer. Will Fed-Ex accept a "previously used" Priority Mail tube? It would be a shame to waste them all... I'm sure USPS will end up throwing them all out since demand will drop to near-zero.

Message 102 of 105
latest reply

I wish, UPS charges to pickup so I have to drive into town, their cheaper now for packages up to 48", after that they jump from $10 to $22, I don't sell many fishing rods that are worth paying $25 or more just for shipping. I still haven't set up my 2 pc rods up yet, debating on whether to do just Friday shipping or Tuesday and Friday. Not sure if I want to make the 25 mile round trip for one item and if I only ship them on Fridays, if they'll sell or someone changes their mind if they buy then have to wait 6 days to ship. And that doesn't include the buyer's who don't read the description for the delay shipping.

Message 103 of 105
latest reply

It may help you that FedEx packages can be dropped at Walgreen's, if they are closer than 12 miles.

Message 104 of 105
latest reply

I check and their shipping is way higher then UPS, some by $10, even the new USPS rate is still lower then FEDEX.

Message 105 of 105
latest reply