cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UPS Overcharged on 10+ shipments in a row...

Anonymous
Not applicable

UPS has overcharged me by an average of 2x more than what Ebay tells me it costs to ship.   The best thing about this is I drop these off at a small hardware store in my town, and have them weigh and measure the packages too.  So I know each of these packages were the specific dimensions and weight that were entered on Ebay.

Ebay or UPS, whoever is wrong, is so bad at giving accurate shipping quotes, to the point that they were wrong 100% of the time on my last 11 packages.   Sometimes I nnoticed a package that is 8  pounds (2 bike tires) UPS marks as 18 pounds.   I believe this is criminal fraud and is stealing, intentionally adding on 10 pounds to make extra money should be investigated at the federal level, and people should be going to prison.

That's another great reality I have to accept now regarding selling on Ebay.  Ebay randomly makes up bogus shipping quotes, and then illegally charges you 2x more when it comes time to pay for the label.  

You know where that doesn't happen at?   Facebook marketplace.  

Message 1 of 42
latest reply
41 REPLIES 41

were the items in a corrugated box?

Message 2 of 42
latest reply

Same here today. eBay presented a $24.85 shipping price on a package that was perfectly represented with accurate weight and dimensions. PLUS... we have a professional shipping depart and have shipped UPS, FedEx, USPS, etc... for over two decades.  Today, I had $41.85 removed from my settled funds which represents a $17 (46%) overcharge.

How are others addressing this issue? Calling eBay, Calling UPS, etc????  And are you getting any results. eBay needs to fix this issue. A few dollars either way is one thing...... a 50% overcharges are not acceptable.

Thanks

Pete

Message 3 of 42
latest reply

eBay is useless to resolve this issue.  The only way around it is to ship directly with a UPS or FedEx account. 

Message 4 of 42
latest reply

Shipping UPS or FedEx through ebay has always been a problem since day one.  Best to use your own account so you can deal directly with the carrier to resolve problems like this or avoid them altogether.

Yes, the ebay discounts are slightly better, but you can get discount codes that come very close.  Plus one or more screw ups far exceeds any extra savings.

Message 5 of 42
latest reply

That shipping charge of 18 lbs is actually the dimensional weight, which for bike tires, sounds correct.

Ebay is not charging any extra fees.  This is a UPS issue.  UPS has several "special" fees that are not always counted in ebay.  Some of these include "redelivery" "rural routes" "oversized"  "overweight".. ect.

Fedex also has some of these extra fees but, are not nearly as bad.

When you purchase a label from UPS or Fedex, you are agreeing that the total being quoted is just an estimate and that any extra charges are your responsibility to pay.

Those fees are why I stopped shipping UPS (that and they are HORRIBLE with damaged packages/claims).  

I use Fedex on a regular basis.  About 1 out of 25 packages have a different price than estimated.  Typically that amount is less than $10.  Although I had one where the buyer re-routed the item to another state and I got smacked with a pretty large upcharge that I could do nothing about.

The only shipping company that charges you a specific rate without any random fees afterwords is USPS and they have their own issues beyond the cost of shipping.

Message 6 of 42
latest reply

The main problem is with ebay in the middle as shipper of record you can not easily contest or fix issues directly yourself with a carrier like UPS or FedEx.

For instance your up charge for a buyer redirected package, only the shipper of record can do that with UPS or FedEx with your own account.

Message 7 of 42
latest reply

I've stopped using UPS, as they more often than not rip you off, especially on large packages.  Yes, I understand the DIM weight and the oversized charges, but UPS takes the liberty of adding inches to the large packages, which will cost you 2-5x more than what was quoted.  I even went to the length to make recordings of my large shipments, showing the dimensions and weight with the tracking sticker attached, and they STILL refused to refund (charged me $145 instead of the quoted $74)!

Been selling on eBay for 8 years now, and UPS are basically thieves.   eBay pretends too often that disputes with UPS need to be raised by the seller, not eBay themselves.   This is simply not true and don't let a customer representative give you that blow-off answer.  The UPS account is an eBay account, not your individual UPS account, and UPS will not assist you with an account that is not yours.   EBay doesn't care either, as it simply consumes their time trying to dispute on your behalf.

Just stop using UPS- it will save you a lot of stress.

Message 8 of 42
latest reply

"...is USPS and they have their own issues beyond the cost of shipping."  like what?  The ONLY thing that stops me from shipping USPS is the cost of heavy/large packages.  I'm not sure how UPS and Fedex get around antitrust laws, as it seems they have an agreement between them on what packages they will take and fix the prices accordingly.

Message 9 of 42
latest reply

@qualityrandomitems wrote:

"...is USPS and they have their own issues beyond the cost of shipping."  like what?  The ONLY thing that stops me from shipping USPS is the cost of heavy/large packages.  I'm not sure how UPS and Fedex get around antitrust laws, as it seems they have an agreement between them on what packages they will take and fix the prices accordingly.

Well the fact that they are have a bunch of delays across the board.  Last month I had 10 packages take more than 2 weeks to get delivered, one of those is STILL not delivered... might I mention that package was only going about 200 miles.  This has been happening for MONTHS now. 

Being unreliable is SO much worse than random fee's to me.  I have had to refund way more money for Item not received cases in the past 6 months than I have EVER paid in extra fees to fed ex.  On top of that, it makes me look bad as a seller, which is extremely frustrating since I get my items out within 24 hours, every time.

Message 10 of 42
latest reply

Yes ,I send the same item over and over and about every 6th time I get a doubled shipping charge .Call ebay and they play dumb .Sometimes they adjust it or have given me a coupon. Other times it’s not resolved or even explained.Call ups they won’t tell you anything because it’s not your account .I make sure I over estimate the DIM weight ,it happens anyway and it’s always another $10 tacked on. Usps has been so f’d up I forced to use ups but it’s like the CIA to get information.

Message 11 of 42
latest reply

Ship any UPS items yourself using UPS.com

You can even open a shipper account with them. 

Use their UPS EZrate if possible....otherwise their discount codes that usually give a 30 to 45% discount. 

Then send the customer the tracking number in the eBay comments and your done.

You will be surprised with what you can save.  

Message 12 of 42
latest reply

I have been using mostly FEDEX for the past 6 years.  Used UPS before that for at least 5 years.  I hve never (knock wood) had an upcharge of more then $1.  I always  round up on everything as far as dimensions/weight.  If the box bulges slightly it goes up an inch.

NOW I recenlty had USPS upcharge me almost $16.00,  Been  fighting that since 6/10.  no ansiwer from anyone yet on that

This quest stands on the edge of a blade...stray but a little and you shall fail to the ruin of us all.
"The Lady Galadriel"
Message 13 of 42
latest reply

Happen to me in the last few months and with the new direct payment it is very confusing to understand the statements. Now I realized that they doubled and tripled many packages and I understood it only after my income start dropping for no apparent reason. I was working for free and donating money to UPS... 

start using Endcidia sub company of stamp .com and the most overcharge was $2. I recommend that company and you still get 35-40 % discount. Also pirate ship is also good substitute. 

Message 14 of 42
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

How do you get the discount codes?

Message 15 of 42
latest reply