cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Smoke smell complaint & return- 2 items

I purchased 2 gowns from a seller who listed them as new never worn. When they arrived the smelled strongly of smoke. I called dry cleaners to ask if they could fix it, they said they couldn’t because they can’t guarantee smoke smell will come out. I contacted seller & she told me she has no control how items are stored & that’s why she didn’t list them as smoke free environment. She also said that while I may find “a light smoke oodor unpleasant it can be fixed by airing it out a few days.” She brought up the fact that they were $500 dresses that I got for a fraction of the price. I responded that full disclosure (like what she had just told me) would have been ideal in her listing & that I would be contacting ebay since we obviously didn’t see eye to eye. Her second reply was even more defensive than the first (she basically said she’s not Amazon...that if I wanted full buyers rights I should not buy privately but go to a store). Is this the norm for sellers to treat buyers like this?! What can I expect from eBay once I attempt to open a SNAD?  It’s my first time buying clothing/gowns here 😕

Message 1 of 36
latest reply
35 REPLIES 35

Re: Smoke smell complaint & return- 2 items

If the gowns came in plastic,   it is probably not smoke.

There are some plastics that combined with some of the chemicals used in  fabrics end up smelling like smoke if they are in a heated area,   like a postal truck or airplane distribution.     I just got in a bolt of silk chiffon that reaked of smoke,   but it was not smoke,  it was the plastic that they had wrapped it with.

If is it no smoke,  than leaving them out in the night air will cure it.

Message 16 of 36
latest reply

Glad you won the eBay case.  I'm sure it was decided by a bot, but I'd like to think items listed as "new" would be added to Trinton's list of stinky SNADs.  This is also another reminder that smart buyers pay with paypal by credit card, in case eBay makes a nonsensical decision.

Message 17 of 36
latest reply

There is actually a mail carrier in a nearby little town who stops on the road and picks up road kill and tosses it in the back of his vehicle along with the mail/packages he's delivering.  I've seen him doing this several times~~the 1st time I saw him picking up a possum and tossing it in his vehicle I couldn't believe what I was seeing.  I've since seen him picking up skunks, raccoons, squirrels, etc..  It makes me glad I have a P.O. Box.

Message 18 of 36
latest reply

@mcdougle4248 wrote:
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION 

Re: Smoke smell complaints and returns...HELP!
in reply to 02-27-2018 10:26:21 AM
trinton@ebay

@dhbookds wrote:

As I said, it's going to happen.......

trinton@ebay

If one has a disclaimer in the listing about smoke smells (I buy in many places and cannot guarantee a smoke smell free item).......  is smoke smell an adequate reason for return/and could a neg for it be removed since it was in the listing? 

Hi @dhbookds, smells would only be a valid return reason if a) the listing states the item comes from a smoke free home b) the listing states it comes from a pet free home c) the smell is an integral part of the item ie. a vanilla scented candle or d) the smell reported poses a health risk, such as the smell of chemicals. In these instances, we would cover a smell. If the seller has no disclaimer about smoke or pets, then the buyer's concerns regarding odors related to these factors would not be covered. We do not cover "musty" or "perfume" smells (unless of course the item is perfume and the concern is that it does not smell like the specific odor it is meant to smell like).

If any members response helped, please give it a Helpful. If you are the author of a thread and one member's response resolved your question, please click 'Accept as Solution.' More on Accepted Solutions.

You say ebay  would  cover seller  that doesn't  use the smoke  free disclaimer ,  Yet there  have been threads where  got  snad return's   on those  sellers that didn't use the above disclaimers, by their buyers .  the  issue  is  the programing in the return  request  .  

Message 19 of 36
latest reply

Got to pick up them skunks as a public service !!!!   The other scavengers pass them upgrin

Message 20 of 36
latest reply

I've been waiting to find a headless dead deer.  Maybe he's practicing taxidermy?

Message 21 of 36
latest reply

@kattinsanity wrote:

There is actually a mail carrier in a nearby little town who stops on the road and picks up road kill and tosses it in the back of his vehicle along with the mail/packages he's delivering.  I've seen him doing this several times~~the 1st time I saw him picking up a possum and tossing it in his vehicle I couldn't believe what I was seeing.  I've since seen him picking up skunks, raccoons, squirrels, etc..  It makes me glad I have a P.O. Box.

Was he wearing gloves? That could be a health and safety issue if he doesn't wear gloves then goes on to handle mail. I would report him to the PO.

Message 22 of 36
latest reply

@kattinsanity wrote:

Wow! And I thought the carrier I used to see smoking in his postal Jeep every day was bad!!! 

One life is all we have to live
Love is all we have to give

**Formerly known as MissJen316**
Message 23 of 36
latest reply

@kattinsanity wrote:

I've been waiting to find a headless dead deer.  Maybe he's practicing taxidermy?

Came close to that.

Called to have a roadkill (not by me) deer tagged by the authorities, so that I could take it home to cut up, and put in the freezer.

When the guy arrived, first thing I had to tell him was that I did not cut the antlers from the deer.  Someone did, but it wasn't me.

Message 24 of 36
latest reply

I'm sorry but I have to ask.  Why would you want a deer you found killed along the road unless you saw it actually hit?  If someone had time after the hit to stop and cut the antlers off how long would that deer have been good to butcher and put in the freezer?

Message 25 of 36
latest reply

@whatmorefabric wrote:

If the gowns came in plastic,   it is probably not smoke.

There are some plastics that combined with some of the chemicals used in  fabrics end up smelling like smoke if they are in a heated area,   like a postal truck or airplane distribution.     I just got in a bolt of silk chiffon that reaked of smoke,   but it was not smoke,  it was the plastic that they had wrapped it with.

If is it no smoke,  than leaving them out in the night air will cure it.

We just opened up some shirts at work the other day and they REEKED because of the plastic they'd been shipped in.  They were brand new from the manufacturer and had never even been taken out of their plastic bags-- it was the plastic bags that smelled awful.

Message 26 of 36
latest reply

@kattinsanity wrote:

I'm sorry but I have to ask.  Why would you want a deer you found killed along the road unless you saw it actually hit?  If someone had time after the hit to stop and cut the antlers off how long would that deer have been good to butcher and put in the freezer?

OK for a few hours in cool/cold weather.  It was a recent hit.

Message 27 of 36
latest reply

An item that smells like smoke is NAD in my opinion unless that is disclosed in the listing.   

If it isn't disclosed then it is NAD. 

Message 28 of 36
latest reply

@green-night wrote:

An item that smells like smoke is NAD in my opinion unless that is disclosed in the listing.   

If it isn't disclosed then it is NAD. 

The blues have stated that it's the opposite-- it's not SNAD unless the seller specifically stated that the item was from a smoke-free home.

Message 29 of 36
latest reply

So I guess we shouldn't count on what the blues have posted...

Message 30 of 36
latest reply