cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Smoke smell complaint & return- 2 items

I purchased 2 gowns from a seller who listed them as new never worn. When they arrived the smelled strongly of smoke. I called dry cleaners to ask if they could fix it, they said they couldn’t because they can’t guarantee smoke smell will come out. I contacted seller & she told me she has no control how items are stored & that’s why she didn’t list them as smoke free environment. She also said that while I may find “a light smoke oodor unpleasant it can be fixed by airing it out a few days.” She brought up the fact that they were $500 dresses that I got for a fraction of the price. I responded that full disclosure (like what she had just told me) would have been ideal in her listing & that I would be contacting ebay since we obviously didn’t see eye to eye. Her second reply was even more defensive than the first (she basically said she’s not Amazon...that if I wanted full buyers rights I should not buy privately but go to a store). Is this the norm for sellers to treat buyers like this?! What can I expect from eBay once I attempt to open a SNAD?  It’s my first time buying clothing/gowns here 😕

Message 1 of 36
latest reply
35 REPLIES 35

Trinton also says that if a seller doesn't state ANYTHING about the possibility of odors the buyer is NOT covered.  Before I put a disclaimer in my listings several years ago I was hit time and again for smoke odors and lost every time & had to refund the buyers.

I used to state in my disclaimer that if you may be offended to please not bid.  Then ebay told me I couldn't state anything in my listings telling a possible buyer to not buy.  So I had to change the wording until it was accepted by ebay.  Since putting the disclaimer in it has saved me time and again from having to accept a return AND in getting feedback removed pertaining to smoke odors.

Message 31 of 36
latest reply

@ep.131 wrote:

UPDATE: today was the specified date where ebay could step in and help resolve the return request. I asked them to step in & help at around 7am. One hour later they had responded that they ruled in my favor. Items have just been shipped back. I’m not sure if ebay has access to my sent/received messages with the seller and if that helped with the resolution. In any case, this was a lesson learned & if I ever purchase any clothes again through ebay I will definitely ask the odor question just to be on the safe side. Thank you all for your input!

yes it's always best to at least ask...and I would just say that I learned (by a return) that some people smell more than others.. they smell stuff i would have never..so even though i sniff and wash and think it is smell free... the smell is the nose of the beholder...so i keep those refund/returns easy and hassle free... i found even with Fabreez...some can't stand that smell...so that's why i say the seller should have simple refunded and not played the " it didn't say it couldn't smell" game....

but yes to all who just said, "your setting up scammers"  I suppose...somebody will send a smell message to me , just to get a freebie... 

Message 32 of 36
latest reply

@pingpong517 wrote:

@ep.131 wrote:

UPDATE: today was the specified date where ebay could step in and help resolve the return request. I asked them to step in & help at around 7am. One hour later they had responded that they ruled in my favor. Items have just been shipped back. I’m not sure if ebay has access to my sent/received messages with the seller and if that helped with the resolution. In any case, this was a lesson learned & if I ever purchase any clothes again through ebay I will definitely ask the odor question just to be on the safe side. Thank you all for your input!

yes it's always best to at least ask...and I would just say that I learned (by a return) that some people smell more than others.. they smell stuff i would have never..so even though i sniff and wash and think it is smell free... the smell is the nose of the beholder...so i keep those refund/returns easy and hassle free... i found even with Fabreez...some can't stand that smell...so that's why i say the seller should have simple refunded and not played the " it didn't say it couldn't smell" game....

but yes to all who just said, "your setting up scammers"  I suppose...somebody will send a smell message to me , just to get a freebie... 

It is best to  not use smell  in the listings.

Message 33 of 36
latest reply

What bothers me is ALL my posting say instruct PLEASE ASK ALL QUESTIONS BEFORE BIDDING. If the person has a problem with cigarette smoke should that not be a question they should ask before bidding? DOES THIS COME FROM A SMOKING HOME? It's that simple. I sold a pair of jeans the woman did not ask any questions even though instructed to and opened up a return item case. I don't usually offer returns but eBay made me take the return. How was I wrong? She did NOT ask questions. I don't understand. Do sellers really have rights? I have over 5000 positive feedback so obviously I'm doing something right. This hurts me. And right now you can't even get eBay on the phone. It's all done through emails which is also very wrong. It should be done in live conversation. Anyone have any suggestions to help me get this money back that I shouldn't have to be returning? Help!!

Message 34 of 36
latest reply

As a seller, I feel the seller of your dresses has an obligation to describe her items to  the best of her ability and it should be 100% accurate.

A brand new dress as the seller described would not have a smoke smell and if any smell it should be a brand new smell. 

As a buyer you bid on something that you were told was new. You deserve to get what you bid on. You should not settle for something that your not 100% satisfied with. If you settle it will bug you, you will wish you had filed a report and returned the item.  I settled a long time ago on an item and when I would see the item, I wished that I would have filed a report and returned it as it wasn't what I had bought based on their description. 

As a seller when I list clothing, I always stress that the item comes from a smoke free environment and when I listed it as new, it smells like new. 

Shame on that seller for not disclosing that the item doesn't come from a smoke free environment. 

There is nothing like wearing a smoke smelled item, you never fully get the smell out and it will eventually make you nauseous when you wear it. I never buy clothing here without reading that the item is coming from a smoke free home. If it isn't stated in their description, I would ask. 

File the report not as described and eBay will side with you. You deserve what you paid for and you should be happy with the purchase. 

Not all sellers are like the one you had! Most of us experienced sellers here would not treat you like this, we would have accurate descriptions, we would not post smelly clothes, it is more important to us for the buyer to be happy and to have a great buying experience and hopefully get you as a a repeat customer! 

Message 35 of 36
latest reply

Hello Everyone,

Due to the age of the thread, it has been closed to further replies.  Please feel free to start a new thread HERE if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thanks for understanding!

Message 36 of 36
latest reply