cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shipping switcheroo

So I ordered something I need asap. I pick a seller that offered free priority mail shipping. Has the fast and free logo displayed. Ordered on the 20th and tracking shows label printed. I contact him to ask if it was shipped and just not scanned. He tells me he sent it this mornig Fedex smartpost.

How can he advertise priority then switch to smartpost? 

What can I do? I make it a point not to buy smartpost delivered stuff because I hate that service.

Message 1 of 59
latest reply
58 REPLIES 58

Re: Shipping switcheroo

@dtexley3wrote:

@dougsue123bwrote:

So the guy writes me back after I point his "mistake" out.

He says sorry for the mistake but he is trying to keep costs low, blah blah.

Tells me to refuse package then he will refund me.

Isnt that a little fishy?

Yea, stinks like fish.  Tell him you are not going to void your buyer protection.  

@Anonymous  Please clarify this issue, if the seller downgrades the shipping and the item is late can the buyer get a full refund + return shipping?  Downgrading the shipping is a no-no in the policy so what does the buyer do when this occurs?

I would hope the buyer gets something, especially since the item was flying the fast and free logo. Fast means not shipped with a slowpoke, worst of the worst economy service like dumbpost.

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 16 of 59
latest reply

I think I am going to file an INR. It still shows on ebay it will arrive on the 24th

Message 17 of 59
latest reply

@dougsue123bwrote:

So he wants me to do that so he doesnt have to refund, what a nice guy

Do not refuse delivery. You can refuse delivery and still have buyer protection if the package arrives postage due but you’ll need the slip from the post office to prove it. Your seller did the wrong thing.

Patricia
eBay member for 25 years
Message 18 of 59
latest reply

@dougsue123bwrote:

I think I am going to file an INR. It still shows on ebay it will arrive on the 24th

Don’t do that. Wait a couple days then file INR if you don’t get it. If you file INR now you can’t file INAD later. Just be patient & for the future, don’t order things you need fast online. I needed something fast so I ordered from the site that guarantees 2 day delivery. That was 10 days ago, I got the item today. Now I have too many but I will just keep it for later. It’s a site that’s famous for fast delivery & starts with an A.

Patricia
eBay member for 25 years
Message 19 of 59
latest reply

I was going to file it on the 25th or 26th. Its in transit so says tracking but wont be here until the 5th of next month.

Message 20 of 59
latest reply

But, but he was just trying to save me money!

Message 21 of 59
latest reply

Search here is terrible, so I won't even try to look it up.  As I recall, they said it was not a violation to change service levels within a carrier  Changing carriers may be a different issue however and I can't recall if they addressed that.

Forget keeping up with the Joneses. Be the Finklegrubers!
OK kids, time to get the Dodge loaded up again. I hear 'Poppy's By the Tree' calling. This trip might be a long one too.
Message 22 of 59
latest reply

Using fast and free to get closer to the top of the list then switching to smart post is what peeves me.

Message 23 of 59
latest reply

@dougsue123bwrote:

So he wants me to do that so he doesnt have to refund, what a nice guy

Not necessarily. He's likely just trying to avoid paying for return shipping. You only lose ebay buyer protection on a refusal BUT I bet they would side with you since the seller told you to refuse.

One life is all we have to live
Love is all we have to give

**Formerly known as MissJen316**
Message 24 of 59
latest reply

@dougsue123bwrote:

You'll lose the INR and the ability to leave feedback @dougsue123b. I wouldn't file an INR yet. If it arrives much later than ebays delivery estimate you should be able to file snad. If you file now and its delivered 2/24, you lose the case and can't leave feedback. Editing this--I saw you other reply that its due to arrive in march. File now IF you are sure it will not be delivered within 4 business days. Remember February is a short month too 🙂

Message 25 of 59
latest reply

Thanks everyone for your help!

Message 26 of 59
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@dtexley3 wrote:

@dougsue123bwrote:

So the guy writes me back after I point his "mistake" out.

He says sorry for the mistake but he is trying to keep costs low, blah blah.

Tells me to refuse package then he will refund me.

Isnt that a little fishy?

Yea, stinks like fish.  Tell him you are not going to void your buyer protection.  

@Anonymous  Please clarify this issue, if the seller downgrades the shipping and the item is late can the buyer get a full refund + return shipping?  Downgrading the shipping is a no-no in the policy so what does the buyer do when this occurs?

Hi @dtexley3, if the seller ships outside of their estimated handling time and the item is delivered late, we can review to determine if this is a valid snad. The timeframes involved would vary depending on the transaction specifics. We do not cover the shipping service itself, but will provide protection for late delivery after late shipment. The buyer would need to receive the item and open a return request to have pursue a resolution. 

Additionally, a package should only ever be refused if: the seller has asked the buyer to refuse the package; the item arrives damaged to such a severe degree that the courier has recorded the damage condition on the tracking; or there is cash on delivery due and the buyer obtains a receipt to prove this from the courier. In all other instances, refusing the package would disqualify the transaction from eBay Money Back Guarantee protections.

Message 27 of 59
latest reply

So I should wait for it and file a SNAD?

I was going to file INR then refuse the package when it came in.

Message 28 of 59
latest reply

@dougsue123bwrote:

So I should wait for it and file a SNAD?

I was going to file INR then refuse the package when it came in.

@dougsue123b It’s only SNAD if the seller missed their handling time. I forgot, did the seller tell you to refuse the package? You can’t just refuse it and then be covered by eBay in this situation unless the seller told you to do so. 

Message 29 of 59
latest reply

He missed handling time by a day. He told me to refuse and he would refund when he got it back.

Message 30 of 59
latest reply