cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a way to stop eBay from automatically approving returns

Okay I accept returns but this is crazy. I should have the option to issue return label or refund, not ebay. Guy bought an item other day turns out he didn't need it, emails asks. I'm okay you pay return shipping, next thing I know ebay auto- approves sends return label so now am I out shipping both ways?  Really. I stand behind my stuff but I want the option for customer service not some BOT. I no longer care about TRS as the nothing decent discount is lost on their return policies. What happens if I just put no returns will that turn it off.

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

No.

Message 2 of 13
latest reply

Ebay will also issue a return label that the buyer pays for. What type of case did they open? If it was a remorse case, they will automatically put these through as the buyer pays return shipping (if that is what you have chosen in your listings). They feel this speeds up the process and makes buyers happy.  I looked on one of your listings and it stated the buyer pays for return shipping. This is exactly what happened in this situation if they opened a remorse case. So you are not out shipping both ways, just one.

It is not automatic when the buyer states it was SNAD.

Message 3 of 13
latest reply

@badrock wrote:

Okay I accept returns but this is crazy. I should have the option to issue return label or refund, not ebay. Guy bought an item other day turns out he didn't need it, emails asks. I'm okay you pay return shipping, next thing I know ebay auto- approves sends return label so now am I out shipping both ways?  Really. I stand behind my stuff but I want the option for customer service not some BOT. I no longer care about TRS as the nothing decent discount is lost on their return policies. What happens if I just put no returns will that turn it off.

you do have the option. when a buyer opens a return, before you accept, it gives you the option to send a prepaid label or have ebay do it and it charges you. only way ebay automatically did this was because you didnt respond to the return.

Message 4 of 13
latest reply

Yes, there is a way.

You can require an RMA for the return and that'll stop the bots from automatically issuing the label.

The only reason eBay would've issued the return label on your behalf would be because it was a Free Returns listing or a SNAD return.  Could it be one of your Free Returns listings?   If so, you couldn't make the buyer pay anyway

@badrock

Message 5 of 13
latest reply

Figured that part, so I am dropping out of that program.
Message 6 of 13
latest reply

@importparts123 wrote:

@badrock wrote:

you do have the option. when a buyer opens a return, before you accept, it gives you the option to send a prepaid label or have ebay do it and it charges you. only way ebay automatically did this was because you didnt respond to the return.

No not true, if so we would not be having this talk. That is what I want the old system worked fine. Last night buyer filed return item not working, okay I would accept the return anyway but ebay automatically approved and sent label. I want the option to talk with buyer, maybe just send a repair part partial refund whatever. As you can see in my feedback I always put buyers first and solve any issue.

Here's what happened
Sep 28
Per ebay's policy, return has been approved

Sep 28
The buyer created a return (5095717632)

This is what I want to stop, I am thinking it is the way I set up return info on my listings that allow them to do this
Message 7 of 13
latest reply

So if I check no returns on listing page (I know ebay can make me if SNAD) will that give me the option back. Say a buyer had item damaged, I insure 95% of everything. In the past if they gave me a good picture I immediately refunded and filed claim. If I thought something fishy I sent a return label. Problem I see in my experience is that most buyers just hit the SNAD button.

I am thinking of checking no returns on listing page. Then in my description putting 14 DAY WARRANTY or Return . I do that anyway on many of my listings because I do not like the 30 day requirement, if there is a problem it should not take 30 days to figure that out.

As I said earlier I no longer care about TRS status as they is no financial benefits to it anymore. Well not enough for the **bleep** eBay puts us through.

Message 8 of 13
latest reply

If there's a problem, your 14 day disclaimer means nothing.  A savvy buyer knows this.  

As stated earlier, require an RMA.  That requires manual reviewing of the return request.

Message 9 of 13
latest reply

@lintbrush* wrote:

If there's a problem, your 14 day disclaimer means nothing.  A savvy buyer knows this.  

As stated earlier, require an RMA.  That requires manual reviewing of the return request.

I know and agree but I like giving the 14 day option to let buyers know they are covered and not to wait 30 days if there is a problem. Returns have become a big scam and many stores like Best Buy are starting to change their policies. I buy store returns by the pallet for resale and it is crazy. Went through a pallet the other day most of the returns brand new never used no issues, some were missing one part but still new. Some were damaged I sell the  good parts. One time I bought a pallet of small compressors from Walmart all returns. I swear everyone of them was brand new just some boxes messed up. I was like how many of these they bought used them over the weekend then returned.

Message 10 of 13
latest reply

Not so. I have had two eBay Approved returns and I did not get a return request. In both cases, eBay did an automatic return.
Message 11 of 13
latest reply

It gets worse.  eBay just approved a return & issued the buyer a label before I even knew the buyer requested a return.  This was despite the fact that I specifically stated in my listing that I only accepted returns if the item was damaged or was not at described.  The item was a vintage ladies Bulova windup watch which the buyer said it did not fit because it was 1mm too wide!  

Message 12 of 13
latest reply

If you don't have an explicit "no returns" policy, you accept ALL returns.

No exceptions you put in the listing matter any longer, and haven't for a very long time.
Message 13 of 13
latest reply