cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I purchased a shipping label on ebay. The tracking says it is "counterfeit postage". Any experience?

Hey all. I have searched and seen this happen to maybe ONE other person with no real explanation. I purchased a shipping label on ebay. Popped it on the box, popped it in my mailbox to pick up (it was a small package). I do this all the time and have had no issues before. Today, it is picked up and then I see this message on the tracking info: 

"Tracking information will not be displayed because this package was shipped with counterfeit postage. Please contact the merchant or seller with any questions."

Well, I am the seller and I have questions??? I called my local post office and they told me they had no idea what the program was but they would look at my box when it arrives (it is likely still on the local truck). I obviously did not intent to ship with counterfeit postage, and this looks real sketchy to my buyer! Anyone ever have this issue? 

Message 1 of 37
latest reply
36 REPLIES 36

Re: I purchased a shipping label on ebay. The tracking says it is "counterfeit postage". A

I was able to finally able to get through to an agent through chat but I need to talk over the phone. I plan on calling tomorrow. My tracking still says “counterfeit.” Is anybody else still having this issue or did your packages just resume moving through the usps system?

Message 31 of 37
latest reply

Re: I purchased a shipping label on ebay. The tracking says it is "counterfeit postage". A

Two packages I sent out on July 31st got flagged for counterfeit postage on Aug 1st.  No updates since.  I asked my local post office what's the deal and they don't know the reason either.    I am contacting Ebay when they open to add me to that Alert list.   I am SMH....  

Message 32 of 37
latest reply

We had about 24 packages with this Alert. Asked local post office to check intranet tracking. Internally the packages are fine and are moving. Nothing was seized. Some tracking numbers started to update on USPS.com

In my experience a supervisor at the local post office is 1000% more helpful than calling customer support on usps.com Supervisors have access to intranet tracking which is not available to all postal workers.

Message 33 of 37
latest reply

Any ebay response to this situation?  My shipped item was in "Counterfeit Postage" status and now, after 3 days, appears to be simply "Picked Up"?

Please let Me know of a solution!

Message 34 of 37
latest reply

I hope it's just a glitch that resolves itself. If not, eBay should not penalize sellers monetarily and should be prepared to remove any negative feedback for affected transactions.

I've had scary messages show in tracking before that turned out to be nothing. On one occasion, the tracking said "Visible Damage," but the package arrived completely unscathed according to the buyer. No damage at all.

Message 35 of 37
latest reply

Hello everyone,

Please see the update below regarding this issue:

"USPS corrected the root cause of the counterfeit and seized notices on tracking. This was a false notice. All shipments are continuing through the mail stream and progressing toward their final destinations. USPS is actively working to update the current tracking and delivery events. Clear and concise tracking visibility will soon be restored. Please let customer service know if you're still experiencing issues with this, or experience any new instances"

Thank you,

Elizabeth,
eBay
Message 36 of 37
latest reply

Hi Elizabeth, unfortunately this just happened to a package I sent on 12/4/23 to a buyer.  The package was intercepted on 12/6/23.   The buyer had to go to the post office and paid for the shipping in order to retrieve the package.  I contacted USPS and the agent confirmed that the shipping label generated from ebay was a counterfeit.   I just got off the phone with Raven from the ebay selling/buying team.  She will investigate and get back to me within 48 hours.    Is there anything you can do for the buyer at this point?  Thanks!

Message 37 of 37
latest reply