cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I purchased a shipping label on ebay. The tracking says it is "counterfeit postage". Any experience?

Hey all. I have searched and seen this happen to maybe ONE other person with no real explanation. I purchased a shipping label on ebay. Popped it on the box, popped it in my mailbox to pick up (it was a small package). I do this all the time and have had no issues before. Today, it is picked up and then I see this message on the tracking info: 

"Tracking information will not be displayed because this package was shipped with counterfeit postage. Please contact the merchant or seller with any questions."

Well, I am the seller and I have questions??? I called my local post office and they told me they had no idea what the program was but they would look at my box when it arrives (it is likely still on the local truck). I obviously did not intent to ship with counterfeit postage, and this looks real sketchy to my buyer! Anyone ever have this issue? 

Message 1 of 37
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

I purchased a shipping label on ebay. The tracking says it is "counterfeit postage". Any experience?

Hello everyone! If you're being affected by this issue, please reach out to our Customer Service here and ask to be added to ALERT14863, which has also been added to our tech board.

Thank you,

Elizabeth,
eBay

View Best Answer in original post

Message 25 of 37
latest reply
36 REPLIES 36

You need to contact USPS right away.  Go to their web site.

Message 2 of 37
latest reply

@simba6 wrote:

@mak929_0 wrote:

I see this message on the tracking info: 

"Tracking information will not be displayed because this package was shipped with counterfeit postage. Please contact the merchant or seller with any questions."

I called my local post office and they told me they had no idea what the program was but they would look at my box when it arrives (it is likely still on the local truck). 

You need to contact USPS right away.  Go to their web site.

It looks @simba6 like OP already "Go to their web site" and even "contact USPS right away" with a phone call?

Anything else they should do, that they haven't done?

Message 3 of 37
latest reply

@mak929_0 wrote:

I see this message on the tracking info: 

sasa790592_0-1690838852430.jpeg

Hopefully @mak929_0 it's not this, next?

Message 4 of 37
latest reply

How was it shipped, what service?

Have a safe Memorial Day weekend.
Message 5 of 37
latest reply

A couple things stand out:  

Info provided (above) by "sasa790592" shows this package arrived in Houston, Texas, on March 14 of this year.

Today, July 31, 2023, OP got the message that the postage was counterfeit.  

Could OP have made a mistake and possibly printed (yesterday, July 30) a postage label that he/she validly used some time between March 10 to 14?  

As OP is the eBay seller of this package -- 
And it looks like the USPS has confiscated the package -- 
I hope OP has refunded his eBay buyer completely, apologized profusely, claiming some sort of bizarre mishap occurred . . . .

I am hoping to learn how this situation turns out.   

Message 6 of 37
latest reply

First email the buyer and let them know that it's an obvious mistake IF YOU PRINTED THROUGH EBAY!  Tell them to please be patient while you fix this. Now, if you put on some stamps on the package, you might as well refund.  The new policy is for the post office is to confiscate the items and NOT deliver nor return to the sender.   I don't see how a label created on ebay can be called counterfeit.  I would go to the post office first thing in the morning.   BEFORE YOU DO THAT, SEE IF YOU CAN REPRINT THE SHIPPING LABEL BY GOING TO MY EBAY, then to orders and then to shipping label.   If you can't print, see if you take a photo of the receipt or  the actual page where the label was created. Take this with you to the post office and speak with the postmaster.  See if you can get him to RECALL the package back to you because it has to be a mistake. They need to NOT charge you because it's a mistake. You do NOT want the buyer to get the box and a refund because I am sure that if they are newbies, they will open a case.

Please come back and tell me if you added any stamps to the box because perhaps you underestimated the weight?

Message 7 of 37
latest reply

Same here two of my label is showing up as counterfeit on USPS site. 

Message 8 of 37
latest reply

I've also had this issue with all 7 of my packages today. Two are priority, five are ground advantage. It's not an issue with the seller making a mistake, it is an issue with the labels themselves somehow.

Message 9 of 37
latest reply

I should add that I also had several shipments using the ebay standard envelope label. I don't know yet whether any of them are flagged as counterfeit.

Message 10 of 37
latest reply

This is a nightmare scenario and has just happened to me from a lot of packages over the weekend worth $2,000...

Message 11 of 37
latest reply

I am also seeing the same error message for 3 usps ground advantage labels I purchased directly through ebay. I will call the USPS help line tomorrow when they reopen. Glad to see I am not the only one, it definitely seems like a glitch affecting multiple sellers. Very concerning.

Message 12 of 37
latest reply

I sent out 7 ground advantage packages with the bulk shipping tool and all of them say counterfeit. I dropped them off at the post office as normal and no one said anything. I'm super worried something will happen to them but hoping it's just a glitch and my packages won't be trashed...

Message 13 of 37
latest reply

Sent out 13 packages through eBay today. Three were UPS: everything was fine. 6 out of my 10 USPS packages have the same error message on the USPS website: counterfeit postage. All purchased through eBay directly. 

Message 14 of 37
latest reply

sasa790592's image doesn't relate to OP's package today. They were just providing an example of the error. This seems to be a widespread issue today affecting many sellers (including me). Hopefully we'll hear something soon before our packages are thrown out. I'll be out hundreds of dollars from just from today's sales that this is happening to.

Message 15 of 37
latest reply