cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FYI to sellers, this is how eBay handles returns. Take a look.

A customer purchased a thousand dollar 110lb generator from me. I sent it to them. To an international location outside the contiguous U.S. The customer wanted a return because, supposedly, it's broken. Here are the photos they sent to me:predator_claim_04.jpg

predator_claim_03.jpg

predator_claim_01.jpg

Now, you tell me, does this look broken to you? eBay support stated that

We have asked for more information from your customer to confirm the condition of the item received. If any additional information is needed from you we will request it through an email.

However, when I asked them to look at the photos to notice that nothing was actually damaged, they said this:

Please understand that since eBay is an online marketplace, we do not have any means to inspect the items physically. We believe that the best option that we have is to have the item returned to you so that you can inspect it upon receiving it back before issuing a refund. Once you receive the item, we encourage you to look over it carefully. We don't grant appeals for sellers based on the condition of the buyer's return, but we can discuss your other options if that becomes necessary.I trust that this information is much of a help. Thank you for choosing eBay and we really appreciate your business with us! 

I told them I wouldn't be paying return shipping on this, but somehow an "AS IS WHERE IS" and "ALL SALES FINAL" listing is being forced to foot the bill on an international return for a heavy item. I keep getting the same cookie cutter reply:

All these replies don't address the fact that none of the images show damage. What should I do?

I know that you're not a large business, and that the return shipping cost being charged to you isn't easy to bear, however; at eBay we treat sellers as businesses; plus, by selling online you are competing with large businesses (both online and traditional retail stores). Buyers appreciate excellent customer service, so by providing great experiences you're making eBay a great place to shop. This is crucial for repeat business and overall selling success. I understand that this isn't what you wanted to hear, but I hope I've explained why we take this approach. Our experience is that a better returns experience for buyers will ultimately drive more sales for you as a seller.

Message 1 of 135
latest reply
134 REPLIES 134

@psychecafe63 wrote:

They are in a U.S. territory.

If they're in a US territory, then it's not an int'l sale, it's a US sale and you *should* be able to buy a US shipping label. What is the territory? PR? Guam? USVI? AS?

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 106 of 135
latest reply

This thread is very long.   But exacty how was the item shipped orginally?   If sent USPS, but by what method?   Was it sent Insured?  If so, why not just file a claim for damage?   In most instances a claim can be initiated by the Seller or Buyer, and the Buyer might have to file a more complete damage report on their end.   

But still, the BEST solution here in my opinion is to Refund the Buyer.    Why?   Because the item is already damaged.   What can the OP get for a damaged item once it has been returned?    Also, the orginal BOX has been opened.  There is no guarantee that the Buyer will send the item back in the same tight packaging with strapping.   The item can arrive with more damage than what the Buyer has claimed.     Then, the seller gets to argue about whose damage is worse, trying to convince EBay that the buyer shouldn't get a refund even though the Seller accepts a return based on damage.   

Message 107 of 135
latest reply

I've had enough of this type activity in the seller's seat and the buyer's seat.  eBay has made tens of thousands off me for 10+ years.  There are so many criminals (and that includes your casual criminal and thief) that take advantage of loosely worded and enforced policies here.

As soon as a buyer opens that 'not as described' it's over for the seller.  If a seller has an issue with a buyer, you can report them, but they'll just open another account regardless of eBay's tracking/discovery policies and repeat the same thing.

It's insanity.

Message 108 of 135
latest reply

@southern*sweet*tea wrote:

@psychecafe63 wrote:

If they're in a US territory, then it's not an int'l sale, it's a US sale and you *should* be able to buy a US shipping label. What is the territory? PR? Guam? USVI? AS?

Not sent by USPS.

Many threads posted where UPS/FedEx has come up as being "international" when shipping.

Message 109 of 135
latest reply

@time4david5d28 wrote:

This thread is very long.   But exacty how was the item shipped orginally?   If sent USPS, but by what method?   Was it sent Insured?  If so, why not just file a claim for damage?   In most instances a claim can be initiated by the Seller or Buyer, and the Buyer might have to file a more complete damage report on their end.   

But still, the BEST solution here in my opinion is to Refund the Buyer.    Why?   Because the item is already damaged.   What can the OP get for a damaged item once it has been returned?    Also, the orginal BOX has been opened.  There is no guarantee that the Buyer will send the item back in the same tight packaging with strapping.   The item can arrive with more damage than what the Buyer has claimed.     Then, the seller gets to argue about whose damage is worse, trying to convince EBay that the buyer shouldn't get a refund even though the Seller accepts a return based on damage.   

110 lbs.   was not sent USPS

Message 110 of 135
latest reply

@sam9876 wrote:

"Of course now this means I have to seek another way of creating a label FROM the buyer TO me to send to the buyer, but HOW do I do that?"

It isn't possible.

Minor point in the context of this discussion, but you certainly CAN buy a label using any ship from and ship to address, even if your own (billing) address is different still.  Do it on the USPS site.   Save the label to pdf, then convert to jpeg, and then send it as an attachment  in message to buyer.

Message 111 of 135
latest reply

@psychecafe63 wrote:

Yes, but what I'm saying is that if my photos aren't proof, then their's shouldn't be either.

Photos don't really mean much, all they need is the buyer saying the item is damaged.

Have a great day
Message 112 of 135
latest reply

@buyselljack2016 wrote:

@southern*sweet*tea wrote:

@psychecafe63 wrote:

Not sent by USPS.

Many threads posted where UPS/FedEx has come up as being "international" when shipping.

aaahhh, didn't know that, thanks!

Well...that stinks unamused

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 113 of 135
latest reply

You will be required to pay for return shipping or simply issue a full refund, sorry.
Message 114 of 135
latest reply

I didn't read all this topic through, so I don't know if anyone has already suggested it to you, or not, but have you tried to contact that buyer and suggest him a particial refund instead of sending the item back? It might cost less, than sending it back.

Message 115 of 135
latest reply

"Is it of any interest that the shipping to send back is around the same amount as the item itself? "
That is precisely why the buyer purchased it. He knows that if he files a SNAD complaint, you will likely issue a full refund and he will get to keep the item.
Message 116 of 135
latest reply

Yup, the buyer got a refund of $979.99 and I have no generator. I sent the buyer a last email:

Enjoy the generator, thief.

Message 117 of 135
latest reply

Great if you the buyer- another ebay victim
Message 118 of 135
latest reply

Message 119 of 135
latest reply

@psychecafe63 wrote:

Just wanted to link this discussion in relation to this post:

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Archive-2014-Fall-Seller-Update/Seller-Sues-eBay-for-Alleged-Buyer-Alw...

The Maggie Campbell case was dismissed against eBay.

Message 120 of 135
latest reply