cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FYI to sellers, this is how eBay handles returns. Take a look.

A customer purchased a thousand dollar 110lb generator from me. I sent it to them. To an international location outside the contiguous U.S. The customer wanted a return because, supposedly, it's broken. Here are the photos they sent to me:predator_claim_04.jpg

predator_claim_03.jpg

predator_claim_01.jpg

Now, you tell me, does this look broken to you? eBay support stated that

We have asked for more information from your customer to confirm the condition of the item received. If any additional information is needed from you we will request it through an email.

However, when I asked them to look at the photos to notice that nothing was actually damaged, they said this:

Please understand that since eBay is an online marketplace, we do not have any means to inspect the items physically. We believe that the best option that we have is to have the item returned to you so that you can inspect it upon receiving it back before issuing a refund. Once you receive the item, we encourage you to look over it carefully. We don't grant appeals for sellers based on the condition of the buyer's return, but we can discuss your other options if that becomes necessary.I trust that this information is much of a help. Thank you for choosing eBay and we really appreciate your business with us! 

I told them I wouldn't be paying return shipping on this, but somehow an "AS IS WHERE IS" and "ALL SALES FINAL" listing is being forced to foot the bill on an international return for a heavy item. I keep getting the same cookie cutter reply:

All these replies don't address the fact that none of the images show damage. What should I do?

I know that you're not a large business, and that the return shipping cost being charged to you isn't easy to bear, however; at eBay we treat sellers as businesses; plus, by selling online you are competing with large businesses (both online and traditional retail stores). Buyers appreciate excellent customer service, so by providing great experiences you're making eBay a great place to shop. This is crucial for repeat business and overall selling success. I understand that this isn't what you wanted to hear, but I hope I've explained why we take this approach. Our experience is that a better returns experience for buyers will ultimately drive more sales for you as a seller.

Message 1 of 135
latest reply
134 REPLIES 134

Re: FYI to sellers, this is how eBay handles returns. Take a look.

International customers intentionally do an Item not as Described.  These theives know that you as the seller will not pay for the return shipping.It's too costly on your end.

eBay policy will corner you into giving your item away Free. For a company that doesn't stock any inventory, they sure are generous with yours.   

I see A-Team of lawyers getting prepared to pounce over this issue. It's gonna cost eBay Billions.

Message 122 of 135
latest reply

Sorry u r going thru so much hassle 😞

Regarding the 2nd message about an appeal "not granting based on condition of buyer's return" OMG!!! That is sooooo wrong. Click on this for appeals process info:

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/managing-returns-refunds/appealing-decision-seller?id=4369

A few years ago an international buyer opened an INAD return request and supplied photos of a totally different item than what I listed, sold, shipped.

CS rep told me to accept the return and if I rec'd a different item, call them back and send photos while on the phone with them. I did this and won the case.

If you can financially afford to, pay for the return shipping, then you can deal with it once rec'd. If nothing else, again, if u can financially afford it, the buyer will not get to keep ur item as well as the refund.

Also, if the item truly is defective, can you return it to where u purchased it from for an exchange/refund?

Don't give up. Good Luck.

Message 123 of 135
latest reply

I'll keep posting what eventually happens. Should make for a good read years down the line if it's not deleted.

Message 124 of 135
latest reply

It's not on waybackmachine, but it looks like I have it all backed up:

Screen Shot 2018-06-15 at 8.10.39 PM.png

Message 125 of 135
latest reply

I had a question.  You said that their address was a PO box . Certainly you did not ship it originally to a po box? Is there a reason that you cannot use original address that you shipped to as the ship from location on the return label?

Message 126 of 135
latest reply

Moderators exist.

Message 128 of 135
latest reply

As soon as someone mentions the word sue it means they have already lost but refuse to accept it.
Message 129 of 135
latest reply

I mentioned suing in the case that the generator was different than the one I sent in the scenario that the buyer bought two and sent pictures of another one, so, check yourself. I tried to get the buyer to send those photos to me directly because eBay scrubs the meta data from the photos:

Screen Shot 2018-06-17 at 10.17.10 AM.png

And it looks like the timestamp is from the moment you download the photo, so I can't check to see if the photos that were sent were taken in the past prior to the delivery date linked to the tracking. Only eBay has the original meta data / timestamp from the buyer, so they could check if they wanted to.

Message 130 of 135
latest reply

I am telling you all right now.  DO NOT SEND TO Puerto Rico.  I sent a bunch of solar lights and phone chargers to PR last year.  Buyer said they all did not work.  I sent them USPS and paid quite a bit for it.  

USPS said they would not ship from PR back to me, even if I paid.  Was forced to refunds hundreds of dollars of merchandise.  I never thought that if I could send it USPS (US territory) that I would not be able to get it back USPS.

WTH Ebay never told me that.  Hawaii, Alaska PR, VI so sorry but a few people ruin it for the rest of you.  Will not ship out of the lower 48 states period.

Rich

Message 131 of 135
latest reply

I accepted your answer because it provides the most insight and wisdom. Thank you for putting in the hard work. You deserve it! ^_^

Message 132 of 135
latest reply

I contacted eBay directly over the phone and got a refund in the original amount. ^_^ Thank you eBay! I asked the representative if it was OK to say this on the community forum---as eBay is sensitive about what you can and can't say about their activities---and she said it was OK.

Message 133 of 135
latest reply

Screen Shot 2018-07-02 at 5.11.07 PM.png

Message 134 of 135
latest reply

FYI, the buyer changed their user name around the time all this was winding down. What a coincidence, no?

Message 135 of 135
latest reply