cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FYI to sellers, this is how eBay handles returns. Take a look.

A customer purchased a thousand dollar 110lb generator from me. I sent it to them. To an international location outside the contiguous U.S. The customer wanted a return because, supposedly, it's broken. Here are the photos they sent to me:predator_claim_04.jpg

predator_claim_03.jpg

predator_claim_01.jpg

Now, you tell me, does this look broken to you? eBay support stated that

We have asked for more information from your customer to confirm the condition of the item received. If any additional information is needed from you we will request it through an email.

However, when I asked them to look at the photos to notice that nothing was actually damaged, they said this:

Please understand that since eBay is an online marketplace, we do not have any means to inspect the items physically. We believe that the best option that we have is to have the item returned to you so that you can inspect it upon receiving it back before issuing a refund. Once you receive the item, we encourage you to look over it carefully. We don't grant appeals for sellers based on the condition of the buyer's return, but we can discuss your other options if that becomes necessary.I trust that this information is much of a help. Thank you for choosing eBay and we really appreciate your business with us! 

I told them I wouldn't be paying return shipping on this, but somehow an "AS IS WHERE IS" and "ALL SALES FINAL" listing is being forced to foot the bill on an international return for a heavy item. I keep getting the same cookie cutter reply:

All these replies don't address the fact that none of the images show damage. What should I do?

I know that you're not a large business, and that the return shipping cost being charged to you isn't easy to bear, however; at eBay we treat sellers as businesses; plus, by selling online you are competing with large businesses (both online and traditional retail stores). Buyers appreciate excellent customer service, so by providing great experiences you're making eBay a great place to shop. This is crucial for repeat business and overall selling success. I understand that this isn't what you wanted to hear, but I hope I've explained why we take this approach. Our experience is that a better returns experience for buyers will ultimately drive more sales for you as a seller.

Message 1 of 135
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

As soon as someone mentions the word sue it means they have already lost but refuse to accept it.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 129 of 135
latest reply
134 REPLIES 134

You will be required to pay for return shipping or simply issue a full refund, sorry.

Message 2 of 135
latest reply

They say the have no proof of what the item looked like before I sent it, well, how about this, which is what I sent to them:

s-l16002.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Message 3 of 135
latest reply

Ummmm...  that is a picture of a sealed box.

Message 4 of 135
latest reply

Is it of any interest that the shipping to send back is around the same amount as the item itself? eBay just helped me lose money over a broken screw panel. I've made them thousands of dollars in fees. It just doesn't seem fair.

Message 5 of 135
latest reply

That's how I sold it. Brand new sealed in box. That is how I bought it. I can't open it up and take pictures and reseal it. That's ridiculous.

Message 6 of 135
latest reply

Just out of curosity, why are most of the user feedback on your profile from deleted user accounts?

Message 7 of 135
latest reply

"Is it of any interest that the shipping to send back is around the same amount as the item itself? "

That is precisely why the buyer purchased it.  He knows that if he files a SNAD complaint, you will likely issue a full refund and he will get to keep the item.

Message 8 of 135
latest reply

The top picture looks like it as a crack ?

“Birth certificates show that you were born. Death certificates show that you died. Photographs show that you have lived.” -Unknown
Message 9 of 135
latest reply

"That's how I sold it. Brand new sealed in box."

How do you know it wasn't damaged before you shipped it?

" I can't open it up and take pictures and reseal it."

False.

And even if you did open it up and take pictures, the buyer can still file a SNAD complaint claiming damage during shipment and get a full refund.

Message 10 of 135
latest reply

"Just out of curosity, why are most of the user feedback on your profile from deleted user accounts?"

Posting ID.

Message 11 of 135
latest reply

Anyway, I'll deal with whatever comes my way in an amicable manner, and my heart's in the right place, but at least it's out there now for the community to view. I'm open to being in the wrong state of mind on this matter, but I'm going to need some convincing. It's an ultimatum: Pay the return shipping or refund the money. If I refund the money, then the buyer gets a free generator with a "broken" whatever they are claiming. If I pay the return shipping I also have to give a refund and try to get my money back on a broken generator. Essentially I'm going to have to recoup the loss of the return and the exorbitant international shipping with a spoiled commodity... I sent the generator with really low prices because I have a shipping deal with much lower prices. I offered to ship a replacement part for whatever it is that is broken, but the customer keeps saying "I want my money back." Which I guess is like a tactic that eBay sympathizes with or something. Also, it looks like the buyer may have purchased another generator as it can be seen in the background (top right), which may be why they want the return:

s-l16003.jpg

Message 12 of 135
latest reply

Is it in eBay's interest to support SNAD fraud?

Message 13 of 135
latest reply

You picture proves nothing other than you had access to sealed boxes not what was actually mailed or its condition

This is a user to user board not eBay employees.
----------------------------------------------------------------
When people show you who they are, believe them
Message 14 of 135
latest reply

If you don’t accept the return and don’t pay return shipping eBay will make the decision for you and it will be to refund without a return. 

“Birth certificates show that you were born. Death certificates show that you died. Photographs show that you have lived.” -Unknown
Message 15 of 135
latest reply